Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Steering or No Power Steering?

What are your opinions?

I need to replace both the pump and the steering gear itself. That totals about $200. Lifetime warranty on the pump, but my buddy had put it under his employee ID so I could get the discount. I haven't heard from him in two years, so needless to say, warranty is void. Hehehe.

I'm thinking of removing the pump, just to see how bad it is without power steering. I drove a friend's pick-up that didn't have PS and it wasn't that bad, but my car is nearly twice the weight of his truck.

If I cut the pump, what would it hurt that I'd need to replace two weeks later when I decide it sucks to not have PS?

Don't jump on me about trying to cut costs- I'm on the fence about this, which is why I'm asking for facts and opinions. I'm not so much trying to cut the cost as much as really curious to see how hard it would be without, considering I'd never have the whine (someone likes to pierce my PS line on a regular basis...) when I get low on fluid and it free up a good 1.34HP not to mention I wouldn't need to buy the parts to replace. Also, I've always found it WAY too easy to turn the wheel- I don't like that so much. On the other side of things, it's nice being able to turn the wheel with one hand and hold a cold beverage :evil: with the other.
    It's a cruise car- leave the PS!
    0%
    Don't be a bitch! Cut that shit and drive like a man!
    0%
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

If you remove the pump, you need to connect the inlet and outlet of the gear box together so that the fluid can recirculate. Either way, it is going to be tough turning and not the greatest idea.

Comment

Despite how curious I am to see what it would be like, the car is 2k# on the front wheels. Add the 255/50/15s I'll have on the front come income tax time and the difficulty level increases.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Yes, if you are to cut the pump off the steering system, connect the 'in' and the 'out' ports of the pump together - unscrew the bent pipes, screw in some hose fittings (what's the tread there, anyone?), cut a piece of hose, hook it up to one fitting, FILL IT with PS fluid of ATF (whatever you're using), the quickly and carefully hook the open end to the other fitting - this way you won't get any air in the gearbox, I always use this trick whenever I disconnect a hose/line and it works good.

As for whether to run PS or not, think about parking lots - you have a huge car, and I bet you'll put some decntly wide tires on it, how are you gonna maneuver that beast in tight places? If steering seems to powerful for you just go to a junkyard and get a later model gearbox, some of them are even adjustable (electronically, but you can rewire the system so you control it via a variable electric switch with a knob).

Comment

Well, for the "light" steering, I think it's because the steering isn't tight enough. I'm sure a new gearbox would clean up a lot of the slack... but at the same time, is there a way to get more tire turn with less steering wheel turn?

Does that make sense? Would I need to use what you just mentioned? What would I need to do to adjust it?

Can I run a Mustang box?

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
            Well, for the "light" steering, I think it's because the steering isn't tight enough. I'm sure a new gearbox would clean up a lot of the slack... but at the same time, is there a way to get more tire turn with less steering wheel turn?

Does that make sense? Would I need to use what you just mentioned? What would I need to do to adjust it?

Can I run a Mustang box?
            Nope Mustangs have used a rack and pinion setup since well before 79.
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
              Nope Mustangs have used a rack and pinion setup since well before 79.
              I knew that. Built a 1984 GT while I was in high school.

If only sarcasm was easier to portray over the forum...

Comment

Lol, yes, it makes sense - the light steering is a direct result of the design of the gearbox, my steering is so tight and responsive that I need to correct it all the time and I can still turn the wheel with my pinky. The newer Panther gearboxes have some adjustable valving in them you can play with, and as far as I know they will bolt right in your frame. Mustangs IIRC have a rack and a pinion steering, so that's a no go for your car.

Comment

Lol, yes, it makes sense - the light steering is a direct result of the design of the gearbox, my steering is so tight and responsive that I need to correct it all the time and I can still turn the wheel with my pinky. The newer Panther gearboxes have some adjustable valving in them you can play with, and as far as I know they will bolt right in your frame. Mustangs IIRC have a rack and a pinion steering, so that's a no go for your car.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                    Add the 255/50/15s I'll have on the front come income tax time and the difficulty level increases.
                    Why are you going with 255/50's? What do you plan on running for rear tires?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                      Why are you going with 255/50's? What do you plan on running for rear tires?
                      295/50/15s in the rear. I'd put more grip up front, but 255s will be plenty. I've had too many times that the front tires didn't have enough traction and I just kept sliding forward helplessly.

I'm thinking of putting 255/60s in the front, but they're slightly taller than the 295/50s and I kinda like the look of slightly taller tires on the rear.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
                        The newer Panther gearboxes have some adjustable valving in them you can play with, and as far as I know they will bolt right in your frame.
                        What year models constitute this "newer" of which you speak?

Comment

Oh man, don't remeber - I'm thinking late '90s, gotta do a search but I'm taking off for work now (overtime!!!) so that'll be later on.

Comment

Another bonus to no power steering: it would help match my left forearm to the size of my right.

Comment

I want to get an 03 frame and drop my body on it, and use the rack and pinion.

Also, use teh marauder brakes
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X