No announcement yet.

My rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You sure it isn't just a 1982 country squire CHASSIS?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

rears

"I like big rear ends"

But we are talking cars here.............................................. ........................LOL

On gear ratios, I ran the racecar for a couple of years with 3.73s and a 28.5" tire, driving to and from the track, some hiway cruising and around town daily driver status. 70mph was 2400+rpm IIRC.
      I thought 3.73 was too much gear for the street, and not enuff for the track. My choice for a dd would be 3.55s.
      I am still using the original driveshaft even with 4.56s and a C-4. As long as it is in balance, there should not be a problem.

That rear should be an 8.5 on an 82. The 8.8 came out in 83.
      Either way, if it is an 8.8, any 8.8 r&p should bolt right in.
      If it is an 8.5, you will need a new carrier for the 8.8. Use a factory 8.8 posi unit for the new carrier. Rebuild the rear with new bearings etc. while it is apart.

As far as an intake, the factory Stang intake from 83 thru 85 and its corresponding 4180 HOLLEY makes a good street combo due to its small internal runners, and 4 corner idle adjustments.
      Ran that combo on the street for several years as a replacement for the VV.
      Speed cost....how fast u wanna go??

It's not how much hp u have...
      It's how much hp u can put to the track...

Let's seperate the men from the boys and put that power to the track using street tires and stock suspension components

'Tis infinately better to sit quietly and be thought a fool,
      than to speak and remove all doubt.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Comment

Im running a 4.10 in mine with and aluminum shaft, but im also running a 32" rear tire. rpms unknown at this time due to me blowing the tranny.
        1989 Grand Marquis LS
        flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Yeah it is the 82 chassis but also the 82 8.8 / engine and tranny came with it.
          Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
          Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
          Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
          Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
          sigpic

Comment

Just a chassis?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Well, it has a 1965 Pontiac Catalina body on it, but I never mention that because it complicates things.
              sigpic

Comment

I have pic some where in this forum.
                sigpic

Comment

1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by 82LTDQS View Post
                    Would a governer change help with the whole shifting late thing ???
                    unless i missed something... what shifting late thing?

i've never heard of anyone putting the stang governor on a stock box but from what i've read its pointless because it doesnt make the power for it. the governor only changes wot shifts.
                    Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                      I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that.......
                      i have a stock driveshaft and 3.73's in the towny.....no problems..the vic wagon is gettin 3.73's soon........now i wouldnt suggest 4.10's for the street....the volvo wagon has 4.10's i hate em.....i'ts in overdrive at 35 mph and the tv pressure is maxed.......my 89 vic has 3.55's and the towny has 3.73's.....the towny highway mpg is slightly lower at 22 mpg

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well, it has a 1965 Pontiac Catalina body on it, but I never mention that because it complicates things.
                        Oooooh, that one. That thing's kewl; I think I need to do something similar one day. Man I'm slow sometimes!
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Torquelover mentioned that his shift points were screwed up since he installed his 3.27 gears, so I asked if a governer change would help.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                            I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that.......
                            ok..my bad....I guess it would be more fair to say that if you do a lot of hwy driving and you plan to go 3.73 or higher, a different D/S like aluminum might be a good idea.
                            sigpic
                            1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Comment

Yeah it is the 82 chassis but also the 82 8.8 / engine and tranny came with it.
                              As the others have said, not an 8.8 unless someone swapped one in. Decode your tag using the attached picture.

Tag should say the following (Conventional followed by Traction Lok):
                              2.73 - WGY-C or WFZ-D
                              3.08 - WGY-A or WFZ-B
                              3.42 - WFZ-F or WFZ-G
                              Attached Files
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

My '82 with 3.08's starts vibrating about 80 MPH. '88 Wagon with 3.27's doesn't vibrate up to about 95MPH. After that I don't know. Both have steel driveshafts.

Box Police cars (and some later box civilian models) had aluminum driveshafts.
                                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                                X