PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My First Car Ride

my dad has always owned a Ford. so i know damn well what i was brought home in. even when i was far from being thought of being made, he owned a 1969 Mustang Coupe 5 spd. it wasnt a fast back since he hates them as well as i do. he brags how he was able to smoke the tires in every gear. wish i could find one and rub it in. though it might cause me to lose the car since he would want it.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Quote Originally Posted by 87_crown_vic
    my dad has always owned a Ford. so i know damn well what i was brought home in. even when i was far from being thought of being made, he owned a 1969 Mustang Coupe 5 spd. it wasnt a fast back since he hates them as well as i do. he brags how he was able to smoke the tires in every gear. wish i could find one and rub it in. though it might cause me to lose the car since he would want it.
    That's pretty cool, especially since '69 to '71 or whatever were some of the best-looking Mustangs ever built. But I thought they only came with automatics or different versions of the Toploader four-speeds?

I think that story and the '77 Marquis 7.5L are about neck-and-neck for coolness so far ...
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

I just checked with my mom. The first car I ever rode in was her 88 Voyager. Knowing that my first ride was in a minivan is pretty depressing, but at least it's American. My dad's Civic i'm pretty sure was assembled in Japan and shipped over here. That would've been terrible.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Quote Originally Posted by 88Vic
    I just checked with my mom. The first car I ever rode in was her 88 Voyager. Knowing that my first ride was in a minivan is pretty depressing, but at least it's American. My dad's Civic i'm pretty sure was assembled in Japan and shipped over here. That would've been terrible.
    dude, that sucks. I'd rather have been carted around in a quality import than a front-wheel-drive minivan.

You call an 81 Civic a quality import? That thing was one of the rustiest POS's I ever saw. The only good thing about it was it was a manual.

Ah, I hadn't realized it had a major rust issue. Weren't the '81 models still rear-wheel-drive, though? All together, now ... "VTEC swap!!!"

The Civic was never RWD from the factory, nor was the Accord. The Corolla on the other hand, was RWD a while ago but switched to FWD in the mid 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by 88Vic
    The Civic was never RWD from the factory, nor was the Accord. The Corolla on the other hand, was RWD a while ago but switched to FWD in the mid 80's.
    Maybe I got it wrong. I could swear my ricer pals said the first Civics and Accords imported to the US were RWD. I'll have to call them and double-check.

I think it'd be fun to find a '84-'88 Corolla, though.

Auburn Hills Fire Fighter Mr. Land Yacht's Avatar

Very nice Ben....
    I likey! Very much so!

1989 Ford Crown Victoria

Resident Panther expert in training

I was brought home in an '89 Probe GT with a 5spd

Nice Olds Tiggie, can't wait to see it get fixed up.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Quote Originally Posted by 88MercWagon View Post
    Nice Olds Tiggie, can't wait to see it get fixed up.

You'll be waiting a while . Plans include it sitting in the garage for the next few years in it's current state. I picked up an NOS rear bumper for it the other day though. $25 :banana:
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Possible thread resurrection. I ordered a free parts catalog for the 76 Cutlass today.

I am bored and have lots to do (hmmm). This car has been waiting a LONG time and I think this would be more fun than all that other stuff I need to do. #winterproject. Estimated completion 2027 (twenty years after thread start date)?

Dad is bored too. He hates winter. Coming up on losing mom one year ago in October. She never got to see her car fixed. I think it's time dad and I finally did our father son project and make this happen as way to remember her and beat the blues.

GMN Box Panther History

I love the winter. No bugs and if you work up a sweat- stand around for a minute or two and you're cool again. Plus, wood stoves, hot cocoa, movie marathons and other marathons..

I think my first ride was in my dad's '77 T-bird.

Can't believe someone called an 80's Honda a quality automobile lol. As 88Vic said, I'd have rather rode in that '88 Voyager.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Nice! I missed this thread. Enjoy this restoration for a week or two after completion; then Barrett Jackson it.

That thing is actually, somehow cool. I've actually never seen one before.. Having so much sentimental value will make it all the more rewarding to fix up! I hope to see some future updates (that are fewer than 14 years apart )
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Oh whoa, I didn't even see the first page. That is cool, did not know you could get one of those with three pedals. My buddy had one with the 260 V8, was an auto though. Said it was dismal. So umm, 87_crown_vic's avatar, is that.. Britney Spears? Thread goes back quite a way
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Donating Member

Very cool car! We had a '76 Le Mans that was a much better car than it should have been lmao

Very cool to see an old thread like this possibly get revived. The car (in the original pictures from 10 years ago) looks to be in pretty good shape except for the part that hit the pole.

Do you still have the donor car for body parts? I'm guessing they'd be even harder to come by this many years later.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Quote Originally Posted by slack View Post
    Very cool to see an old thread like this possibly get revived. The car (in the original pictures from 10 years ago) looks to be in pretty good shape except for the part that hit the pole.

Do you still have the donor car for body parts? I'm guessing they'd be even harder to come by this many years later.
    The good car has been in the garage and yard driven every month or so. The parts car is still here but it's a mess. It does still run and yard drive.

I think my first step is going to be doing some measuring and comparing to be sure the frame isn't tweaked.

GMN Box Panther History

Yes. You need to start another project so we can drool over it. Cool car.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast