No announcement yet.

My Vicky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had that problem with the VSS replacement on my 93. Had to sand it down a hair.
    Last edited by sly; 07-22-2017, 09:03 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I was just thinking about texting you an seeing what is going on. Nice getting an update.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The VSS thing is total bullshit. With this disasterpiece here one can argue the point of the AOD having a hair different bore in the case from the 4R70, but either way the aftermarket needs to stop fucking up. Right, like that's ever gonna happen. On the flip side one only needs to sand the anodizing away from the fat part of the VSS body where it goes into the case, the snout where the gear rides on can retain its anodizing for less friction and more consistent readings.

Trans tail mount, just section off the rear of the crossmember where it will interfere with the frame bracketry, then punch out a pair of new holes in said brackets behind the factory ones. The cuts can be welded shut, but it ain't really necessary the tube the crossmember is made of is pretty darn thick-wall. Or one can section off the center of the crossmember right behind the mount, and re-box it - that's the silly way of going about it tho, way too much work with little to no benefits at all.

Linkage, yeah, basically good luck there! If you can "see" geometry and can fab shit on the fly all is well, if not you're mildly fucked. And because I'm a benevolent asshole I will share this info wit the class: 1-5/8" to 1-11/16" and reduce offset by as much as possible but watch the inboard side. What that applies to is for you kiddies to figure out, would be no fun if I made it all easy now, would it? LOLZ

Shaft, reflange axle for 1330 if she's got the baby-size BCD still, reyoke nose to 4R70 specs. Or convo-joint on the ass end, but the nose still needs new yoke.

Oh yeah, cooling lines can get interesting. Dipstick WILL get interesting, better have a torch handy. What I said above about "seeing" geometry applies again, and the 3D mess will try to get you pretty good so pay the fuck attention to what wants to go where.

Pretty much you really want Smithing skill level of at least 25 for the whole project, and if you already can forge chainmail bikini armor for your Nord bitch you're golden
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I still like my AOD
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like my AOD even more now.

Ivan, are you swapping in the old AOD into one of Johns other rides?
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

John always like to make things difficult! But I'll be interested in taking it for a spin with an electronically controlled transmission. Personally I'd probably go with a wide ratio AOD and custom valvebody, but I understand why you did it John, the computer control plays well with what you have. Great work Ivan, Johns been sending me pictures.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                I still like my AOD
                Yeah I'm with you there, the hell with this electronic clusterfuck You're luck you have options tho, when I was in E4OD land there wasn't a thing I could do to get away from its bullshit, unlike the GM version (4L80E) for which there are a number of manual and semi-manual valve bodies available...

The old AOD's fate is at this point uncertain, it is for sale and the price is good for what it is, but lets face it most folks want the best while paying next to nothing for it, so it's very likely the transmission will end up in the 5.0 aero Grand Marquis that John also has. Unless that is Muscular Brownies here wants it installed in Scott's wagon
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                  Yeah I'm with you there, the hell with this electronic clusterfuck You're luck you have options tho, when I was in E4OD land there wasn't a thing I could do to get away from its bullshit, unlike the GM version (4L80E) for which there are a number of manual and semi-manual valve bodies available...

The old AOD's fate is at this point uncertain, it is for sale and the price is good for what it is, but lets face it most folks want the best while paying next to nothing for it, so it's very likely the transmission will end up in the 5.0 aero Grand Marquis that John also has. Unless that is Muscular Brownies here wants it installed in Scott's wagon
                  The trans is for sale. It is mechanically sound and works very well. Just needs a new tailshaft seal and bushing most likely. I am planning on putting it in the Grand Marquis if no one buys it. I would like to thank Ivan for all of his hard work and ingenuity involved in this project. Not only that but all of the man hours involved making it just right!

The transmission shifts nice (very harsh 1-2 wot traction breaking ftw) The converter is wonderful and locking up in 2nd 3rd and 4th makes me feel like it has more gears than it actually does. I have lots of pictures to post. So I will hopefully soon post them when time allows. I'm back to work today.

Comment

You can see the stock box linkage hanging in one of these pics, plus the 4r70 lever mounted on the transmission. I'm not sure what the application of that lever is. You can also see the U haul transmission pan, which is a factory ford designed 4r70w pan with a drain plug. This particular pan is the Dorman reproduction. it's a little scratched up from moving it onto the trans jack. It has been since touched up with black paint.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by 86VickyLX; 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM.

Comment

The transmission crossmember needed to be modified to allow the box trans mount to line up with the 4r extension housing. Since the transmission is approximately 1" longer than the standard aod case. It is about as long as the Lincoln AOD overall length, but for this to fit, I'd imagine the same thing would need to be done to the lincoln's crossmember as the length of the Lincoln trans is in the tail shaft itself. The trans mount itself needed the excess stud cut off to allow enough clearance for the mount to fit into place easily.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by 86VickyLX; 07-27-2017, 12:53 PM. Reason: description

Comment

Stock box starter is in,

aod quick disconnects have been degoopified and sealed, lines have been connected.

Trans crossmember fully installed

Shortened 4r70w shift lever and box shift rod modified with proper connection attached

Modified bits attached to the transmission and shift linkage.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Alright finally we come to the last few pictures. the first pic shows something very unsettling.... while Ivan was under the car, he had noticed that the differential cover was leaking fluid badly. An issue potentially caused from the exhaust shop welding up my new exhaust. But this is where it gets confusing. Ivan pulled the cover and noticed that one of the traction loks clutches had broken in such a way that both metal tabs broke off and the clutch was spinning with the side gears. This would've been fine as i have the 4 clutch mod, however, we were concerned with where the tabs had gone. being that they're thick and made of metal, it would spell disaster for the ring and pinion, or any of the other gears in the differential. Ivan suggested removing the carrier to try and locate the tabs whereabouts. He had located the tabs sitting on a ledge next to the pinion, behind where the carrier would be. We imagine that the tabs broke off, and were flung with oil by the ring gear to the front of the case, where they harmlessly sat waiting for the perfect opportunity to ruin my day. So the leak was actually a blessing in disguise. Ivan replaced the failed clutch with another, reshimmed the carrier and back together it went. The final two pictures are with the driveshaft installed. This is the MMC driveshaft with a shortened P71 slip yoke.
                          Attached Files

Comment

For your shift rod linkage; did you replace the bullet-shaped bushing that goes on the end of the rod? If so, do you have a part number? I destroyed mine when removing the engine and transmission from the CV.

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                              For your shift rod linkage; did you replace the bullet-shaped bushing that goes on the end of the rod? If so, do you have a part number? I destroyed mine when removing the engine and transmission from the CV.
                              You need DIS...

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

[QUOTE=86VickyLX;801824]Alright finally we come to the last few pictures. the first pic shows something very unsettling.... while Ivan was under the car, he had noticed that the differential cover was leaking fluid badly. An issue potentially caused from the exhaust shop welding up my new exhaust. But this is where it gets confusing. Ivan pulled the cover and noticed that one of the traction loks clutches had broken in such a way that both metal tabs broke off and the clutch was spinning with the side gears. This would've been fine as i have the 4 clutch mod, however, we were concerned with where the tabs had gone. being that they're thick and made of metal, it would spell disaster for the ring and pinion, or any of the other gears in the differential. Ivan suggested removing the carrier to try and locate the tabs whereabouts. He had located the tabs sitting on a ledge next to the pinion, behind where the carrier would be. We imagine that the tabs broke off, and were flung with oil by the ring gear to the front of the case, where they harmlessly sat waiting for the perfect opportunity to ruin my day. So the leak was actually a blessing in disguise. Ivan replaced the failed clutch with another, reshimmed the carrier and back together it went.

the early limited slip clutches had square tabs and were notorious for cracking/breaking. Ford redesigned the clutches with round tabs to eliminate the failures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1146.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1282038
                                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                                X