No announcement yet.

Automatic Headlight Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh, i dident know your putting in the auto switchthe only way id use it more often if the lights came on except the headlights, jus parking.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
      if you dont mind me asking....your making all the lights work or jus headlights to the key? what is the reason? we have DTLs here on 1990+ panthers and on my 91 i pulled the fuse, i think it aint worth it but, i respect your project...not trying to make a big fuss.
      I thought it was 91 plus. I'm assuming the high beams are on low current when the dtl are on correct?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
        Thanks.

Now one last maybe stupid question, I can just run the 20 amp fuse into the fuse box in my car via a new feed right?
        Hi 86VickyLX

Er don't know what you mean :confused:

Looking at your Crown Victoria wiring diagram it appears you don't realy need to add any fuses of your own, I was working on Town Car wiring which is fused slightly different.

Regards

Dereck
        President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

Originally posted by Dereck View Post
          Hi 86VickyLX

Er don't know what you mean :confused:

Looking at your Crown Victoria wiring diagram it appears you don't realy need to add any fuses of your own, I was working on Town Car wiring which is fused slightly different.

Regards

Dereck
          So I don't have to add a fuse to the wire?

"Terminal 7 = Slice into Black/Orange on main light switch use 25+amp wire and fit a 20 amp fuse"

Comment

So I don't have to add a fuse to the wire?

"Terminal 7 = Slice into Black/Orange on main light switch use 25+amp wire and fit a 20 amp fuse"
            Hi 86VickyLX

Sorry man I had a massive brain fart there, I just reviewed the wiring and yes I would fit a fuse in the wire from the Black/Orange wire to the relay.

Regards

Dereck
            President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Comment

Hi 86VickyLX

Sorry man I had a massive brain fart there, I just reviewed the wiring and yes I would fit a fuse in the wire from the Black/Orange wire to the relay.

Regards

Dereck
              OK that's fine.
              BTW I did a test with it. I kept the wiring the same and I tried to get it to do the same thing. It wouldn't saty on. SO I got to thinking, maybe because it was dark out. So I put some tape over the sensor and sure enough, they stayed on. STAYED ON. Now I took the tape off, and after about 30 seconds, it turned off. So it works but I think I wired something wrong since it won't shut off when it's dark out.

Comment

I got them to work. It was the switched wire at the light sensor.

Comment

I got them to work. It was the switched wire at the light sensor.
                  Hi 86VickyLX

Yeah all it took was 71 posts and two hours on instant messenger

Regards

Dereck

Comment

Hi 86VickyLX

Yeah all it took was 71 posts and two hours on instant messenger

Regards

Dereck
                    68 posts actually, 69 if you count this one :p Thanks again for all of your help. This is good for anyone who wants to put in automatic headlights to their Vic, Town Car, or GM. Since the wiring is basically the same. I removed the defroster ducts and the vents to get at te wiring easier. I mounted my relay on the back of the dash, to the left of the glovebox, using a screw for a wire clip to hold it down. Works great.

Only problem I ran into was that the lights would come on and stay on when I put the dash pad on.

Comment

They're not the same for a Town Car. I'm going through the same thing right now, plus autodim, I wish I had it as easy as you do.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
                        They're not the same for a Town Car. I'm going through the same thing right now, plus autodim, I wish I had it as easy as you do.
                        You're doing all the wiring for autolamps and autodim yourself? Or you already have those things?

Comment

You're doing all the wiring for autolamps and autodim yourself? Or you already have those things?
                          I have most of it, but I'm going to have to do some of the wiring myself. I am missing several necessary parts. and from the looks of the wiring diagrams for autodim and non-autodim, I'm going to have to completely rewire how my multifunction switch controls my highbeams as just about nothing seems to be shared between the two.

Most of it is already installed but I think I'm going to have to remove all of it again and lay out everything on the floor of the living room with a 12v source connected, and worry about getting everything working properly before I worry about installing it. Was not the easiest thing in the world to put into the car in the first place. Not cleanly at least.

For someone who hates electrical work as much as I do, I sure am going through a lot of work so I don't have to pull out my headlight switch or dim my high beams for oncoming cars...
                          Last edited by CheeseSteakJim; 03-17-2008, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
                            I have most of it, but I'm going to have to do some of the wiring myself. I am missing several necessary parts. and from the looks of the wiring diagrams for autodim and non-autodim, I'm going to have to completely rewire how my multifunction switch controls my highbeams as just about nothing seems to be shared between the two.

Most of it is already installed but I think I'm going to have to remove all of it again and lay out everything on the floor of the living room with a 12v source connected, and worry about getting everything working properly before I worry about installing it. Was not the easiest thing in the world to put into the car in the first place. Not cleanly at least.

For someone who hates electrical work as much as I do, I sure am going through a lot of work so I don't have to pull out my headlight switch or dim my high beams for oncoming cars.
                            You're like me with the autolamps. I wish you luck mang, you're gonna need it.

Comment

Well, I must've clipped the wire for the Black/Orange wire when I tried to put the steering column back up cause it started smoking in the dash and at the solenoid. It only melted the wire that I put in. Not the Black/Orange wire at the headlight switch or at where that wire meets the day/night sensor. So I'll get some more wire and get another fuseable link and make sure that there are no damn wires in the way. I already have the dash down.

Comment

:bump: I checked all the other wires and they looked fine. So is there anything I have to worry about?

Comment

Working...
                                X