No announcement yet.

Diesel --> Towncar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick with the DB2 Stanadyne, the electronic DB4 is just a pain in the ass with lower emissions being about the only benefit. Besides, the DB4 will require an ECM and god knows how many sensors, whereas the DB2 only needs one wire to run the engine. If you feel the need for more fuel (not really likely) I've been told the higher-flowing 4-plunger assembly from a DB4 can be swapped in a DB2, however for the price of having the new pump built and calibrated might as well get a Moose DB2 from the get go and be done with it.

On your transmission question, 700R4 will work for you, no electronics and it can be built to handle stupid amounts of torque and power. The tricky part would be attaching the Tv cable to the IP throttle lever, however you can always get one of those manual valve bodies that require no TV cable. Stick with the older-style tailshaft setup for the cable. That actually goes along with the rear gears - put the engine and trans in, drive the car, switch gears to more suitable ones if needed, figure out how far off you are on the speedo, then change the speedo gear accordingly - no point it guesstimating things from the beginning. The GM cable has a square end that looks like it could fit in a Ford cluster, but I'm sure some mods will need to be done to the clip thingie that secures it in.

Comment

I'm also told you can cut out a part of the crossmember and replace it with a piece or two of square steel. You know, the middle part. Really helps with oilpan clearance.
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

There's the truck oil pan.

To add to current things I may have to take out and mod (AKA the list of misery)

1. Outer heater box. This would mean no A/C (which I don't care about anyway)
        2. Plastic cowl tray thing for the windshield wipers
        3. Brake booster (may go hydroboost or the smaller newer brake booster, if that's applicable)
        4. Stock column shift linkage will probably have to go, which means either floor shifter or some clever way to make the stock stuff work
        5. Steering shaft (If this is in the way then it's obviously a no go, can't very well relocate that.)
        6. One thing that really REALLY concerns me is the upper arms. The 6.2 is so damn wide that the exhaust manifolds may come up against it. Once again, one of those things that will have to wait I guess.
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Speedo gear should be easy, just go with an electric programmable gauge. That or put a GPS on your dash somewhere.

Comment

One of my goals is to keep the original gauges in working order. No half assing.
            Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
            Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

check out this place.....

http://www.heathdiesel.com/

they specialize in 6.2/6.5L diesels.
              Owner Bill Heath races a 6.5L 1500 truck, I think its one pictured on the front page.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

That guy is my hero. Thanks for the link, I bookmarked that bish!
                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Idea for the shift linkage, 90+ cars used a cable instead of the rod. Perhaps there is a way to retrofit that. I'm not real familiar with what the inside of those columns look like, so I don't know if its doable or not.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hmmmm, definitely something to look into.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Also need to find a place for a second battery. Might move both to the trunk, or relocate the windshield wiper reservoir and put the second battery there.
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

The trunk wouldn't be a bad location for both batteries. Good for weight distribution.
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yikes. Gonna cost around 2200 to ship a longblock to my house. Why do I have to be too far from everywhere?????????

Looks like I'm gonna have to find a local donor, and hope it doesn't have a busted crank or some shit. This is gonna set me back.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist, you could luck out.

Also: http://car-part.com/ for local junk yards, though you probably already knew that, you can search by distance and/or price.
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

i dont' know how relevent this is, but my 1989 suburban 6.2L Diesel has a mechanical vaccumm pump, and it is sufficient to run the Brake Booster, and the Duel Heat controls, without any problems.
                              1996 Grand Marquis White, 288,600 miles as of 4-3-09
                              4.6L cvpi engine and pcm, Dual Exhaust, Blue Leather Interior, Keyless Entry and Remote Start, DOT Strobes, LED Front Marker Lights, Running 93 Octain Fuel.

Comment

Actually that is pretty helpful, thanks!
                                Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Working...
                                X