No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I had the ambition/Know-how to fix the wiring under my hood, Simply put I have neither, and everything runs good as is for me so not one of those necessary things.

btw, you should change your under username saying to "Does work"
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Speedo removed and senders installed

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
      I wish I had the ambition/Know-how to fix the wiring under my hood, Simply put I have neither, and everything runs good as is for me so not one of those necessary things.

btw, you should change your under username saying to "Does work"
      I like that idea!

Oh and Robert, the wiring is a bit meticulous but with everything written up on paper you really have no way to fuck up. Pete or I would be happy to lend our knowledge on the fuse box swap to anyone who asks.

Removed the old 140 speedometer in preparation for the new one and as well as the heater core job.

Here you can see the new and old 140 speedometer!

Got my electric water temp sender in place. No leaks and it has good continuity to ground through the housing:

And I got my oil pressure sender in place as well. This to has no leaks and good continuity to ground:

Then it started to rain...I have to think of something to do to keep me occupied.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Fuel Gauge Swap, Printed Circuit Swap and Gear Indicator Swap

Popped in the new cluster and the fuel gauge didn't read properly so I took apart my old 140 speedometer and replaced the fuel gauge, but I didn't stop there..No I had to go ahead and swap in the printed circuit as well so I could have all four illumination lights working safely...not my hacked and soldered solution found on a few pages back. I swapped the good gear selector indicator into my new cluster and I even went so far as having the gauges power up through the cluster! Check out the differences.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

By having the gauges powered through the printed circuit I have one less wire to power up! You can see it on the left of your screen.

Then after everything was put back together I popped it back into the car and it read like it should, right at half full of a tank. I checked all of the lights (in both cluster and gauges), I checked the gauges by grounding the sender wires (they peg the gauge when you do this) and checked the flashing LED. Everything works great.

Now I just need to hack some holes in the dash to allow for some room for the back of the gauges.

And here is the evolution of the speedometers my car has been equipped with.

~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Whatcha doin with the old 140 speedo?
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

Probably going to stash it away I am hesitant about selling it just because I paid good money for it. But I could possibly change my mind. I do have a price in mind, just not sure if I wanna let her go.

Almost forgot....Lubed the TV cable up today as well as it would get caught up at WOT and hold for a split second. Nice and smooth now after lubing it up and mashing the pedal.
            ~David~

Comment

You know it belongs in the other tudor brown vic.
              1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
              2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Probably going to stash it away I am hesitant about selling it just because I paid good money for it. But I could possibly change my mind. I do have a price in mind, just not sure if I wanna let her go.

Almost forgot....Lubed the TV cable up today as well as it would get caught up at WOT and hold for a split second. Nice and smooth now after lubing it up and mashing the pedal.
                I didn't know Toyota made a V8 powered full size coupe in 1987. :smirk:
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
                  You know it belongs in the other tudor brown vic.
                  I agree, it would look very good in your car. I think the speedometers with all white lettering are the better looking of the two. I wont just me giving it away though. If I get the price I want for it I would sell it and you now have first dibs. It wouldn't come with a fuel gauge, printed circuit or gear selector collar, which does not matter because everyone swaps printed circuits to get the extra illumination and you have to take apart the speedo anyway to do so anyways. Otherwise the speedometer is in perfect condition and will likely be found in my for sale thread in due time.

Originally posted by Paul_ View Post
                  I didn't know Toyota made a V8 powered full size coupe in 1987. :smirk:
                  Ha!
                  ~David~

Comment

Four 5 Way LED's Installed in Cluster

It is pouring outside today so I can't get anything done so I tested out my cluster again in the dark with four LED's installed:

As compared to the two installed:

Four is better than two you can see it is much brighter near the bottom.
                    ~David~

Comment

is your car already maf equipped?

If I were you, I would replace the power steering lines

Comment

No. It is just plugged in so no wise ass comes over and says "why is that missing?" And yes the return line on the pump is leaking ever so slightly. I wanna replace the line, but at the same time I am afraid to break the nipple off of the pump, then a simple line change turns into a pump change. And yes the steering lines look scary as well.
                        ~David~

Comment

David, I have an NOS power steering line, if you're interested.

It didn't fit my '90, but it did fit my '88.

If you're interested, I could check the p/n, what line it is, etc.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

When it blows I will contact you. Thank you for looking out for me.
                            ~David~

Comment

just remove the clamp, then cut the hose with a razor blade in 2 places. be careful thats all.

I was actually refering to the metal portion of the lines near the gear box, they both look like they are gonna burst soon(rotted)
                              the return hose leaking slightly is no big deal, but if the high psi line blows out where it is rotted, youll have an issue on your hands, its just preventive maintenance I would do if it were me.
                              Last edited by jayh; 03-29-2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

You can get a set of power steering hoses (high and return lines) for like 40 bucks. While you do that do the power steering flush if you haven't already.

Comment

Working...
                                X