No announcement yet.

My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two different size tire and wheel combos. The HPPs are 16" while the LX Sport wheels are 17". To answer your question the tires are kept on the wheels.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-88-GM-...6/330923861910

I may look into these in the future as the JC whitney ones are no longer available. This last set was installed some time around 2010.

These look nice despite being a GM part..should fit the bill.
      Quick note for anyone deciding to purchase a set. They come FLAT. This means the measurement you may take from your cars existing CURVED interior pull strap will be incorrect if you simply measure from end to end like I did. lol Use a seamstress tape measure from end to end so you get an accurate reading.

I will say though they are NICE quality. They come with a metal band that will span the length of the strap from behind the door panel.

Despite getting the measurements incorrect I think I will still be okay with installing the ones I have purchased. I measured my existing door panel pull straps at 16" so naturally I ordered the 16" version (again not knowing these come FLAT). When installing the current ones I am using I need to bow them in a bit in order for them to fit, so this means the 16" flat ones may work and provide just enough bow to slip a hand behind it and grab it. I am okay with it not bowing out as far as it used to as it will allow one to utilize the armrest more anyways.

I will get around to installing them and finding out if they in fact do work out for me some time in the future.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I saw door straps in LMC Truck (I think for 1973-1987) for the full size square body chevy trucks. I just don't know what length they were. I was giving some thought to figuring it out and seeing if they will fit 4-door CV/MGM

Comment

I'll have to investigate. Though I am happy with these g body ones despite not yet installing them.
          ~David~

Comment

Nice! Good info above about measuring the straps.

G-Bodys; I don't remember my Malibu having straps. Must have had them in the Olds and Buick G-Bodys.

Comment

I tried looking for videos about the g body door pulls but everything I find looks different lol. This goes along with what you are saying.
              ~David~

Comment

I got the last thing I needed for the swap....

Now to let it sit a couple of years (I greased the input shaft where the pilot bearing and throw out bearing sit)....install it...and then break it and put in a better thing.
                Attached Files
                ~David~

Comment

Would be interested in your stock steering column. The whole thing, shift linkage and all, assuming you plan on going with an aftermarket setup after the manual transmission swap. If you’re just keeping the stock steering column I’ll happily buy the complete column shift hardware off you. Not likely that you’ll need the column shift stuff with a floor shifter equipped race car. We’ll be in touch when the time comes, I’m sure!
                  '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                  '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                  '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                    I saw door straps in LMC Truck (I think for 1973-1987) for the full size square body chevy trucks. I just don't know what length they were. I was giving some thought to figuring it out and seeing if they will fit 4-door CV/MGM
                    The GM trucks are 11.5" hole to hole. I can't find my straps, put away (too) safely (my 83 had straps, my 81 does not, got the interior in the basement to go into the '81 eventually).

G-Bodys; I don't remember my Malibu having straps. Must have had them in the Olds and Buick G-Bodys.
                    Trim level dictates interior straps on a lot of GMs of the era.

Alex.

Comment

Stretched her legs the last two days. Was beautiful out yesterday. Today a bit overcast and windy, but no rain..yet.

Two pics from today:

And one from 10 years ago just because!

Car is running great.

One oddity I am finding though....

AFRs read way lean until fully warmed up. They settle out right at 14.7 when warmed up in idle/park.

If i for whatever reason DO NOT let the car warm up FULLY in idle the afrs will never come back down.

If i do let the car warm up fully in park/idle and then drive off the afrs behave properly.

I have two concerns. wide band is in drivers side h pipe just ahead of the stock o2 sensor. I believe i am getting coolant into the system thus causing the readings to go lean, or a vacuum leak. Both of which is only remedied by letting the car fully warm up in idle/park. If I decide to start driving before that the afrs never go down to normal readings.

Intake gasket getting fully sealed by idling for extended periods of time but does not seal if I start driving...vacuum leak or coolant? My coolant reservoir was empty the other day. Thought it was odd.

Just some oddities that I will have to figure out, though I am not overly concerned. I will go and try to re-torque the lower intake and the upper as well. Ill see if that does anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	my car 2009.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	1285391

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	1285392

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	1285393
                      ~David~

Comment

sounds like the open loop fuel settings need adjusting. Once it warms up the O2 sensors are probably making the mix proper. Not sure why it would matter if its warmed up at idle vs driving though, that seems odd to me.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is that pic from SF?

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            sounds like the open loop fuel settings need adjusting. Once it warms up the O2 sensors are probably making the mix proper. Not sure why it would matter if its warmed up at idle vs driving though, that seems odd to me.
                            I don’t know what to think. It is strange. Reason I was thinking coolant leak or vacuum leak is maybe while driving I am not letting whatever gasket fully seal and actually causing excess pressure. If I let the car warm up idling that pressure is not there and then the gaskets seal and cause the afrs to stay in the proper place. This would mean a gasket is just on the cusp of working/ not working. Don’t know. Further diagnosis required. Not concerned.

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                            Is that pic from SF?
                            Nope. It’s from a trip to Scott when I picked up my new hood. Came from a 1979 ltds. My old hood had some issues on the main ridge line.
                            ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              Could it not be a flaky MAP sensor? I could see a flaky map sensor not reading properly if exposed to large fluctuations in vacuum when cold. It would be odd, but we are dealing with old designed parts and I've seen old Ford MAP sensors do weird things.
                              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                                Could it not be a flaky MAP sensor? I could see a flaky map sensor not reading properly if exposed to large fluctuations in vacuum when cold. It would be odd, but we are dealing with old designed parts and I've seen old Ford MAP sensors do weird things.

Cars mass air. Map is now a bap. Barometric pressure not manifold. Good question though.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X