PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 232 of 233 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233 LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,640 of 4659

Thread: My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Two different size tire and wheel combos. The HPPs are 16" while the LX Sport wheels are 17". To answer your question the tires are kept on the wheels.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-88-GM-...6/330923861910

I may look into these in the future as the JC whitney ones are no longer available. This last set was installed some time around 2010.

These look nice despite being a GM part..should fit the bill.
    Quick note for anyone deciding to purchase a set. They come FLAT. This means the measurement you may take from your cars existing CURVED interior pull strap will be incorrect if you simply measure from end to end like I did. lol Use a seamstress tape measure from end to end so you get an accurate reading.

I will say though they are NICE quality. They come with a metal band that will span the length of the strap from behind the door panel.

Despite getting the measurements incorrect I think I will still be okay with installing the ones I have purchased. I measured my existing door panel pull straps at 16" so naturally I ordered the 16" version (again not knowing these come FLAT). When installing the current ones I am using I need to bow them in a bit in order for them to fit, so this means the 16" flat ones may work and provide just enough bow to slip a hand behind it and grab it. I am okay with it not bowing out as far as it used to as it will allow one to utilize the armrest more anyways.

I will get around to installing them and finding out if they in fact do work out for me some time in the future.
    ~David~

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

I saw door straps in LMC Truck (I think for 1973-1987) for the full size square body chevy trucks. I just don't know what length they were. I was giving some thought to figuring it out and seeing if they will fit 4-door CV/MGM

I'll have to investigate. Though I am happy with these g body ones despite not yet installing them.
    ~David~

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Nice! Good info above about measuring the straps.

G-Bodys; I don't remember my Malibu having straps. Must have had them in the Olds and Buick G-Bodys.

I tried looking for videos about the g body door pulls but everything I find looks different lol. This goes along with what you are saying.
    ~David~

I got the last thing I needed for the swap....

Now to let it sit a couple of years (I greased the input shaft where the pilot bearing and throw out bearing sit)....install it...and then break it and put in a better thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1735.jpg  
    ~David~

Digital Dash Enthusiast Hearsesrock427's Avatar

Would be interested in your stock steering column. The whole thing, shift linkage and all, assuming you plan on going with an aftermarket setup after the manual transmission swap. If youíre just keeping the stock steering column Iíll happily buy the complete column shift hardware off you. Not likely that youíll need the column shift stuff with a floor shifter equipped race car. Weíll be in touch when the time comes, Iím sure!

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    I saw door straps in LMC Truck (I think for 1973-1987) for the full size square body chevy trucks. I just don't know what length they were. I was giving some thought to figuring it out and seeing if they will fit 4-door CV/MGM
    The GM trucks are 11.5" hole to hole. I can't find my straps, put away (too) safely (my 83 had straps, my 81 does not, got the interior in the basement to go into the '81 eventually).

G-Bodys; I don't remember my Malibu having straps. Must have had them in the Olds and Buick G-Bodys.
    Trim level dictates interior straps on a lot of GMs of the era.

Alex.

Stretched her legs the last two days. Was beautiful out yesterday. Today a bit overcast and windy, but no rain..yet.

Two pics from today:

And one from 10 years ago just because!

Car is running great.

One oddity I am finding though....

AFRs read way lean until fully warmed up. They settle out right at 14.7 when warmed up in idle/park.

If i for whatever reason DO NOT let the car warm up FULLY in idle the afrs will never come back down.

If i do let the car warm up fully in park/idle and then drive off the afrs behave properly.

I have two concerns. wide band is in drivers side h pipe just ahead of the stock o2 sensor. I believe i am getting coolant into the system thus causing the readings to go lean, or a vacuum leak. Both of which is only remedied by letting the car fully warm up in idle/park. If I decide to start driving before that the afrs never go down to normal readings.

Intake gasket getting fully sealed by idling for extended periods of time but does not seal if I start driving...vacuum leak or coolant? My coolant reservoir was empty the other day. Thought it was odd.

Just some oddities that I will have to figure out, though I am not overly concerned. I will go and try to re-torque the lower intake and the upper as well. Ill see if that does anything.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my car 2009.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	188.6 KB 
ID:	52045

Name:	IMG_1766.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	227.6 KB 
ID:	52046

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	194.7 KB 
ID:	52047
    ~David~

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

sounds like the open loop fuel settings need adjusting. Once it warms up the O2 sensors are probably making the mix proper. Not sure why it would matter if its warmed up at idle vs driving though, that seems odd to me.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

Is that pic from SF?

'10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, VentVisors, Bullitt wheels.

Ď87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars, Dead AOD.....

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts...

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    sounds like the open loop fuel settings need adjusting. Once it warms up the O2 sensors are probably making the mix proper. Not sure why it would matter if its warmed up at idle vs driving though, that seems odd to me.
    I donít know what to think. It is strange. Reason I was thinking coolant leak or vacuum leak is maybe while driving I am not letting whatever gasket fully seal and actually causing excess pressure. If I let the car warm up idling that pressure is not there and then the gaskets seal and cause the afrs to stay in the proper place. This would mean a gasket is just on the cusp of working/ not working. Donít know. Further diagnosis required. Not concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by mitymerc View Post
    Is that pic from SF?
    Nope. Itís from a trip to Scott when I picked up my new hood. Came from a 1979 ltds. My old hood had some issues on the main ridge line.
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Could it not be a flaky MAP sensor? I could see a flaky map sensor not reading properly if exposed to large fluctuations in vacuum when cold. It would be odd, but we are dealing with old designed parts and I've seen old Ford MAP sensors do weird things.
    -Steve

1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~95k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel retrofit, all natural weight reduction as the parts fall off..
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by BigMerc96 View Post
    Could it not be a flaky MAP sensor? I could see a flaky map sensor not reading properly if exposed to large fluctuations in vacuum when cold. It would be odd, but we are dealing with old designed parts and I've seen old Ford MAP sensors do weird things.

Cars mass air. Map is now a bap. Barometric pressure not manifold. Good question though.
    ~David~

Pulled the Vic in the backyard today to address some issues, things I wanted to get done.

First on the list was hardwiring in the dash cam with its power supply versus me having to plug in the damn power adapter every time I drive the car. That went nice and smooth and it is nice not having to plug it in. Got annoying when I had that to plug in to the lighter and my GPS and my phone chargerÖLess is more.

Next up was investigating the sweating going on around the oil cooler. One of the fittings appeared to be leaking a bit and caused a sweaty oily mess on top of the cooler.

Factory box panther cooler mounts to the left of the hood latch when looking from the front of the vehicle. The left most fitting was the leaker. (pic was from 2015 when I had the front end apart...one does not need to remove front end to install oil cooler)

Dropped the cooler down from its brackets and removed the line and then the fitting. I was going to put some thread sealer on the 90 degree fitting that goes into the cooler to help stop the leak.

Did so then notice that the fitting that is part of the cooler itself is cracked.

Found the leak and proceeded to remove the entire system.

If I ever find a stock exact replacement I will reinstall the system..until then into storage it goes....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1796.jpg   IMG_1798.jpg   IMG_1797.jpg   IMG_1794.jpg   IMG_1795.PNG  

~David~

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

Does the crack extend down below the threads? If not, I'd be inclined to use JB Weld to secure the fitting and add a glob around the crack on the outside.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

No it does not extend past the threads into the cooler. I thought about jb welding the crack and around the piece (actually received an order of jb weld while doing this job lol) but decided it was not worth the effort. The crack just gets larger as you tighten the fitting down, plus it would be highly visible and unappealing to me. Again It did cross my mind but decided against it.
    ~David~

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

I've been doing so much JB Weld catch-up work lately that it would be a trifling thing for me. Getting crack expansion would seem to be a good thing in the sense that you could widen the crack slightly/carefully to get enough JB Weld to seep into the crack from both sides. Before leaving it to cure, loosen the fitting to close the crack and then just snug the fitting enough so the crack is not widened appreciably. With the JB Weld doing the sealing in the threads, the fitting doesn't have to be tightened down. You could also shape the layer on the outside and paint over it. But yeah, I know what you're like with your cleanliness etc. You actually came to mind yesterday when my car was due for one of my rare 'good enough' car washes in the rain.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

Haha. Thats good. This cars getting clayed and polished tomorrow...weather permitting. Amazingly for being painted in 2010 and spending all of its time outdoors since that day (under cover since 2011 i believe) she still looks damn good. Covers seams left some marring on the paint in high stress areas so I just want to knock those down and have it looking extra good again.

I can always try the repair in the future as I am sure it can be made to work. Nothing was discarded. And if it was a necessary component to the car I would have tried it. I can guarantee that I will not notice a difference with the engine oil cooler missing furthering my acceptance of defeat with this project.
    ~David~

Page 232 of 233 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233 LastLast