Made in China GT40 intake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made in China GT40 intake

I'm getting ready to install a GT40 intake setup, had the lower intake hanging off the bench a little too much, and bang! It fell from around 2 ft and cracked a corner off.

So, I find another lower on Craigslist for $50, he takes $40 with injectors and rail. Good deal, Right?

I was in a hurry to get back so I didn't notice anything unusual. Take it out of the truck, when I notice there are no casting numbers, or Ford logo. I flip it over, and it says Made in China??? WTF!!! Anybody ever see this before?
    sigpic
    Current Rides
    67 Cougar XR7
    97 Mountaineer 5.0
    03 Ranger XLT

the frpp intakes have been made in china for the past few yrs

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

an aluminum mill set up in asia will work just as well as if it were set up in north america. i say its worth a try just make sure the gaskets, bolt holes and ports line up right before you get it all together
      1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

Originally posted by RunUoveR View Post
        an aluminum mill set up in asia will work just as well as if it were set up in north america. i say its worth a try just make sure the gaskets, bolt holes and ports line up right before you get it all together

Uh, the castings are crap, the ports don't line up as well.. .

I would have just has the piece welded back on.
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
          Uh, the castings are crap, the ports don't line up as well.. .

I would have just has the piece welded back on.
          I had a very reputable machine shop/5.0 exclusive builder look at it today and says it's fine.

I want to have the broken one welded, it's just a matter of finding someone local that's qualified. It's always garaged, I don't really need the use of the car.
          So I may just wait and use the Ford part. As soon as I get my camera back, I'll post a pic of the break. Thanks
          sigpic
          Current Rides
          67 Cougar XR7
          97 Mountaineer 5.0
          03 Ranger XLT

Comment

That's good it's alirght, I've heard many bad things about them on corral.

Comment

I don't think they have QC people at those factories, so acceptable stuff is going out, but so are the shitty ones.
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

im sure the modern day process if casting an intake is entierly automated anyway. its not like kids in a sweat shop are hand carving them out of solid chunks.
                1989 Grand Marquis GS

Comment

RunUover, no offense, but do you have any manufacturing experience?
                  Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                  AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                  Open/Lock/Ratio #
                  -----------------------
                  G / H / 2.26
                  B / C / 2.47
                  8 / M / 2.73
                  7 / - / 3.07
                  Y / Z / 3.08
                  4 / D / 3.42
                  F / R / 3.45
                  5 / E / 3.27
                  6 / W / 3.73
                  2 / K / 3.55
                  A / - / 3.63
                  J / - / 3.85

Comment

Originally posted by RunUoveR View Post
                    im sure the modern day process if casting an intake is entierly automated anyway. its not like kids in a sweat shop are hand carving them out of solid chunks.
                    Actually.....it is kids using sand molds to cast them, and it makes a sweatshop seem like a freezer. It's quite easy to F up a casting, and since they are using copies of copies, with no QC.... it will be crap. I've seen tons of chinese copies of all kinds of motor parts. I'm amazed the stuff runs.

Comment

Somehow I got lucky on my Chinese dual plane intake, there were a few nicks and casting junk here and there that was easy to clean up so it was no big deal.
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

What I've heard most about the China ones is port misalignment issues and lots of casting flash inside the runners. I haven't heard of one actually not working, but lots of complaints about generally poor quality.

One thing to be aware of, on either intake is the baffle under the pcv valve. There is a revised larger one that prevents excessive oil consumption. If you have the small one, the pcv valve will suck oil up. Poke around on Corral, you'll find it mentioned somewhere along with the part numbers and pictures of the small and large baffles.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Casting is a tricky process. You have to have your metallurgy right. The temperatures have to be right. It has t be cooled at just the right rate, etc etc.
                          Then comes the machining...

We are talking about a communist country here, that has yet to produce a decent knife blade. I am sure the Chinese people are capable of better products, I'm just not sure their current system, and/or living conditions is conducive to good engineering or quality control.
                          It's much like consumer products in the former Soviet union, with one glaring difference. The soviets didn't seem to mind using enough material to get the job done.
                          Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                          AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                          Open/Lock/Ratio #
                          -----------------------
                          G / H / 2.26
                          B / C / 2.47
                          8 / M / 2.73
                          7 / - / 3.07
                          Y / Z / 3.08
                          4 / D / 3.42
                          F / R / 3.45
                          5 / E / 3.27
                          6 / W / 3.73
                          2 / K / 3.55
                          A / - / 3.63
                          J / - / 3.85

Comment

Ah, good old boxy crude Soviet parts. Anyone remember the watches that showed up here in the 80s and early 90s? They were half again the size of the average wristwatch, and had all the elegance of a cinderblock.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

in a real chopper mag i read about a guy who hates selling the chinese stuff but butilt a verry nice looking bike out of returns that no one will dare ride leave the maid in china crap for the trailer queens untill thay figure out what thayr doin but it is hard to beat the 1.25 american a week you can pay those kids

Comment

Working...
                              X