Does your interior rattle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does your interior rattle?

I have been driving my car without any interior panels now for well over 4 months and frankly i am getting a little sick of it. I am (day by day) catching some rattles and fixing them but still i am getting very frustrated driving my car like this. Anyone else have rattle box syndrome?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Only when it's very cold outside, something in the dash rattles. Otherwise no.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

All the cars in the whole household have interior rattles, including the '03.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Put the interior panels back in, the noises will go away.

And yes, the Towncar has some rattles, mostly its the ashtray full of coins tho.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nope.. not a squeak
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

My car really doesn't rattle so much as creaks. Pretty much every creak I have is coming from the warped dash pad, instrument panels, and the somewhat loose glovebox. The only rattle I get is when the passenger window is 1/2 down because the guide looses some contact. Other than that these cars seem pretty quiet compared to some of the ones I've been in.
            sigpic
            1986 Grand Marquis LS 2 Door
            Ext: Medium Shadow Blue Metallic, Int: Midnight Blue, 3.08 open, 235/70/15 Goodyear Aquatread III, Rebuilt AOD w/ Transgo Shift Kit, 3G upgrade from 95 5.0 Mustang, Walker Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe, Viper 5900ST alarm, De-smogged, Rear Civ. Sway Bar, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post

And yes, the Towncar has some rattles, mostly its the ashtray full of coins tho.
              True true, but it is not time yet.

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
              My car really doesn't rattle so much as creaks. Pretty much every creak I have is coming from the warped dash pad, instrument panels, and the somewhat loose glovebox. The only rattle I get is when the passenger window is 1/2 down because the guide looses some contact. Other than that these cars seem pretty quiet compared to some of the ones I've been in.
              Yea i can say that my dash creaks as well. Not much i can do about that.

On a side note. Driving at certain speeds make the armrests wobble like mad. I just have armrests on the doors and it is sotra amusing seeing the flop like fishes at around 70 MPH.

I know that once this damned car gets put back together PLENTY more sound deadener will be used in appropriate spaces and places.
              ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Please explain. I said ALL. Three of the four vehicles here have their complete interiors and still rattle.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 86GmLsCoupe View Post
                  this is pretty much what I came in to post.

I noticed when switching out my dash pad that the plastic "chassis" of the dash has a number of cracks in it, so they're probably always gonna squeek.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

If you hear the rattles, you need louder exhaust.

There are some rattles in my truck, but they aren't the truck; its the shit in my center console, and behind the seat. It pisses me off, but I am too lazy to move it. True story.

The other thing that rattles is the aftermarket a pillar; doesn't fit too well; I am hatching a scheme to fix that.
                    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                      this is pretty much what I came in to post.

I noticed when switching out my dash pad that the plastic "chassis" of the dash has a number of cracks in it, so they're probably always gonna squeek.
                      Silicone all of the cracks.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post

There are some rattles in my truck, but they aren't the truck; its the shit in my center console, and behind the seat. It pisses me off, but I am too lazy to move it. True story.

The other thing that rattles is the aftermarket a pillar; doesn't fit too well; I am hatching a scheme to fix that.
                      You are correct. If i have the pleasure of meeting you at SF09 you will be able to hear....or should i say faintly notice the sound of my exhaust.

And maybe some foam to wedge in places, are even silicone to secure the the aftermarket pod will help out. My car is full of silicone to stop noises.
                      ~David~

Comment

I am typically heard before I'm seen.

I think people must think my truck is hot rod, when they hear is before they see it.

Then they see a big purple truck, that is making the noise, and not doing much else.

My Mom says she can always tell when I am coming home. She can here me turn down the street...
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post

ugh, that's a pet peeve of mine is things in the cupholders and pockets that rattle. I swear, the first 3-4 stop lights every time I borrow my mom's focus are spent re-arranging things so they don't rattle so much.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

my drivers side arm rest makes an annoying squeeking and rattleing...along with a few other things...usually try not to hear them with the windows down and music up haha, the exhaust helps to block it out too...
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                              Please explain. I said ALL. Three of the four vehicles here have their complete interiors and still rattle.
                              Verify the various parts are attached properly. Broken clips, loose screws, etc will cause that. My dashboard used to squeak like a sumbitch, but it was a loose screw in one corner. If possible, have someone drive while you sit in the passenger seat locating the noises. Most of it is just something that needs a little tweaking, or maybe a piece of tape between the metal and the panel so that it doesn't rattle. If its the wagon, those just make noise. The huge under-window pieces are not well secured, and they flex and squeak like crazy. Not much you can do about that.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X