parts for 3.73 install...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

parts for 3.73 install...

alright, I love my one legger 2.73's haha, but it's finally time to put in new gears and the "posi" unit.

-How is a Ford Racing Traction-Lok Unit? There $200 at summit racing and I'm just wondering how good of a job it will do. It won't be seeing more than 275hp and probably 3 years or so of service before a ford 9" goes in... but I want good, solid power transfer to both axles none the less.

-gears wise I'm thinking 3.73 ford racing gears or possibly Richmond.

-getting the full install kit with bearings and seals in it. Probly royal purple fluid and I need friction modifier from ford correct? And If i'm correct I should go with a purple speedo gear?

thanks
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
    -How is a Ford Racing Traction-Lok Unit? There $200 at summit racing and I'm just wondering how good of a job it will do. It won't be seeing more than 275hp and probably 3 years or so of service before a ford 9" goes in... but I want good, solid power transfer to both axles none the less.
    *cough*Stickies*cough*

-gears wise I'm thinking 3.73 ford racing gears or possibly Richmond.
    I went with used gears when I did mine; you risk having them be a bit more noisy, but they're also significantly cheaper.

-getting the full install kit with bearings and seals in it.
    Good plan.

Probly royal purple fluid and I need friction modifier from ford correct?
    You'll need friction modifier additive unless the fluid comes with it in it already. Some of the less exotic brands do; I don't know about the RP. I'm really not sure that I would spend gazillions of dollars on Royal Purple diff fluid, but it's your wallet, not mine.

And If i'm correct I should go with a purple speedo gear?
    No one knows for sure: Linktasticness

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
    But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Yuppers, you can save a bunch of money getting stuff used. Sometimes a whole lot of money. See if you can get a deal on a rebuilt Trak-Lok as well ... the one currently sitting in my basement cost me about $85 shipped.

Used Exploder 3.73 Trak-Loks come up on eBay for cheap from time to time, but they're set up for 31 spline axles and I haven't yet found out: 1) whether one can indeed just swap the side gears to convert to 28 spline, and 2) where to buy a set of 28 spline Trak Lok side gears for cheap.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Mmmm. 3.73s. Lol. That's on my "to do" list too. I've been lookin for used. I'd say u could get used, and put in the new bearings. I do have to say that a trac loc isn't all that great though. Personally I'm going to get a locker for mine. But, that's not for everyone, and ur more likely to break a axle shaft that way.
        sigpic

Comment

stay away from the new ford racing gears.......they are made by motive gear in china and they are crap.........i actually prefer used factory 3.73's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
            stay away from the new ford racing gears.......they are made by motive gear in china and they are crap.........i actually prefer used factory 3.73's
            Can you actually swap the 31 spline side gears for 28 splines?
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
              Can you actually swap the 31 spline side gears for 28 splines?
              uhhh... wut?

spline count of the side gears have nothing to do with the ring and pinion gear. plenty of factory 3.73 gears from explorers, rangers, aerostars and E/F-150's. just make sure its a 8.8 gear set and NOT from a 7.5 or 9.75
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                damn man ... those 8 yr old chinese kids are working 16 hr days for your "quality" made gears. you could show a little more appreciation

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Hey, 88grandmarq,
                  1987cp was asking about the SIDE gears in a trac-loc to see it the 31 splines could be swapped fore the 28s. Mainly because if I get used gears witha trac-loc he would like to be able to swap side gears to use it in the 28 spline axle, as the pickups and such are lall 31 spline.
                  sigpic

Comment

as far as I know... the side gears should interchange. Keep in mind the 31spline carriers also have a larger spider gear cross pin, so you may have to change the spider gears and side gears as a kit.

A used Mustang track lock should be just as easy to find on e-bay, corral.net or stangnet

Comment

I believe Royal Purple comes with the friction modifier in it. I used it in my truck, but don't have any bottles left. It should say right on it.

I used RP because when I switched to RP manual tranny fluid, the result was great. The tranmission oil is "that good", so I tried the gear oil.

Scottmang did my 3.73s. They were used, and they are silent.
                      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Before I forget, it is possible to modify the Ford Racing differentials, by doing the 8-clutch mod....check with Scott and Tom for effectiveness.

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        I used RP because when I switched to RP manual tranny fluid, the result was great. The tranmission oil is "that good", so I tried the gear oil.
                        Ditto.

Comment

i've found a guy who knows his gears who will install all new bearings and seals and the gears for 300 labour. He has a good set of used 3.73's and limited slip unit that are genuine ford for $350 for both of those. He suggests going with all high end install parts and conventional fluid with the modifier additive. Yes i have been wondering about the 8 clutch mod and any comments would be great. all together it will run me around $1000. Keep in mind this is canada and everything is hugely overpriced hmhm.
                          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

i've found a guy who knows his gears who will install all new bearings and seals and the gears for 300 labour. He has a good set of used 3.73's and limited slip unit that are genuine ford for $350 for both of those. He suggests going with all high end install parts and conventional fluid with the modifier additive. Yes i have been wondering about the 8 clutch mod and any comments would be great. all together it will run me around $1000. Keep in mind this is canada and everything is hugely overpriced hmhm.
                            $350 for a used LSD and used 3.73s? Doesn't that seem a bit steep when you already stated that you can get a brand new diff from Ford for $200, and a used set of gears ought to run you $50 or less?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

after i get that new unit and gears to canada it will run me around $330, and as people have pointed out, including the installer, that new ford racing stuff is over sea's crap. Ebay has a decent deal $130 for an 8 clutch rebuilt real ford unit, and the gears I can get for around $70 or so for a good used set. So it looks like i will go that route and it will run me around $275 or so to get it here. But the main thing is i know to get the used rebuilt real ford stuff rather than the cheep ford racing parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X