fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel economy

Hey there mangs as we all know gas is getting pricey again. Here in Chicago It's about 3.40-3.50 a gallon. I have a 95 town car I did a full tune up, changed trans, gear oil as well as the engine oil. Ive cleaned the maf I already have duals and I don't drive that hard. The car has nothing I'm the trunk, tires are properly inflated.

I was thinking of putting a air intake also a larger throttle

What do u guys suggest?

mods that SVT98T has?
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

All the mods on my 93 are for fuel economy.
      These include
      -CAI (Cold Air Intake
      -Throttle body spacer. I can't tell you if this does anything. Because, I don't know.
      -MDS ignition coils
      -FRPP 9mm wires
      -E3 plugs
      -Electric Fan
      -Duals -2 cats
      -Aluminum Driveshaft
      -J-Mod

I get around 20-22 city and 28+ highway.
      I also found out that the more weight i have in the car on the highway, the better my fuel mileage is. I don't get that. Unless the car does better with some more mass in it, and that's better suited for operation? F.
      I drove to Scotts in PA full of crap and got 27ish. On the way home, with no crap in the trunk, 24. Eh, to each his own.

But putting a Cold Air Intake on would be a good deal. The engine doesn't have to work as hard to get the air it needs.

I did a tune up last year, fresh 9mm wires and E3 Spark plugs. That gave me the 3mpg highway back.
      Some people don't like the E3's or have had bad experiences with them. I've loved them. Pre-gapped. But always check the gap incase.
      Other people don't like the fact that they cost $7 a plug. Oh well. I've earned my money back in fuel anyways.
      They are proven to create more HP and use less fuel and create less emissions.

Ok, thats a start. Phew!

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMike View Post
        Hey there mangs as we all know gas is getting pricey again. Here in Chicago It's about 3.40-3.50 a gallon. I have a 95 town car I did a full tune up, changed trans, gear oil as well as the engine oil. Ive cleaned the maf I already have duals and I don't drive that hard. The car has nothing I'm the trunk, tires are properly inflated.

I was thinking of putting a air intake also a larger throttle

What do u guys suggest?
        Change the O2 sensors. If they're original.

Comment

how involved are you willing to get? Grill blocking and undercar fairings (generally doable with sheets of various types of plastic) can get you big gains on the highway.

Is most of your driving highway or city?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

80% of my driving is city. I record how much gas goes in my car I get about 14.2 mpg.
            I have thought about replacing the front o2 sensors aswell.

Iam interested in doing this j-mod can u guys please further explain it

Comment

heres how to perform the j-mod

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny...ybusiness.html
              1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
              1994 MGM GS Montigua
              2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
              2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

When i did my J-mod, all I did was drill out the separator plate. I didn't remove any of the accumulator springs. It gave it a firm, authoritative shift.

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I've been driving my 93 MGM for about a week now. I am very pleased with my gas mileage, as near as I can figure it. The ODO doesn't work. This car was bought new by an old lady and was sold to a guy who owned it for about six months. I'm confident it is as it came from the factory, as far as not being modified. The first check I did, I drove 30+ miles and it used just a hair over one gallon of gas. I won't tell you the results of my next check, cause I don't believe it myself!
                  1993 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L AODE[SIGPIC]sigpic

Comment

the odometer can be fixed. It's probably one of the plastic gears inside the works that's lost some teeth. If you're confident on disassembling the speedo (don't pull the needle, it won't budge, just loosen the screws so you can get at the odometer motor and gears), you can replace that gear no problem.

http://www.odometergears.com/product...rquis+92-97/60

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      Change the O2 sensors. If they're original.
                      Pfft, I'm running 1990 LTC O2 sensors and currently rocking 19mpg all city on my Frankenstein. If the OP does all city driving, some lower gears could actually help in the economy department as well. A good tune will do wonders as well, should be the first mod of ANY car.
                      1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

I don't know what it is about my 98 mgm but it is a pig in the city. I read the numbers you guys are posting and I wish I was getting them. Its a 98 4.6 with 113,xxx new motorcraft copper plugs installed at 111,xxx. Oil changed at 112,xxx tires are all at 32 psi and I am light on the throttle. With 95% of my driving being city (NYC traffic) I am only getting 180 miles to a FULL tank of 87 gas. I am changing the fuel filter tomorrow to see if that will change anything. What else should I check/change.

Comment

Lots of stop and go driving=poor fuel economy.
                          '79 Continental Town Car
                          '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                          '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

thewishkah, that's 180 miles to how many gallons?
                            I've got an 18 gallon tank, but the low fuel light comes on when I still have say 3-4 gallons left, and then by the time I fill it I still only fill 16.5 gallons max. Never run the car full out of gas; I'd have to drive 50+ miles past the fuel warning gauge to do that.
                            I just hit the trip odometer when the tank is full, and then on the next fill up see how many gallons it took to fill up completely. All this winter mixed driving I got 17mpg. Last summer I was getting 19-22 depending.

Hey SVT98T: what car do you have? I like the idea of an aluminum driveshaft; know what could be a direct-fit donor car for a 1990 colony park wagon?

Comment

Originally posted by BerniniCaCO3 View Post
                              thewishkah, that's 180 miles to how many gallons?
                              I've got an 18 gallon tank, but the low fuel light comes on when I still have say 3-4 gallons left, and then by the time I fill it I still only fill 16.5 gallons max. Never run the car full out of gas; I'd have to drive 50+ miles past the fuel warning gauge to do that.
                              I just hit the trip odometer when the tank is full, and then on the next fill up see how many gallons it took to fill up completely. All this winter mixed driving I got 17mpg. Last summer I was getting 19-22 depending.

Hey SVT98T: what car do you have? I like the idea of an aluminum driveshaft; know what could be a direct-fit donor car for a 1990 colony park wagon?
                              Crown Vic or Grand Marquis Aluminum Driveshaft. Some box policecars supposedly had them too...

Comment

Working...
                              X