MarkVIII 32 Valve Heads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slymer View Post
    to keep wiring easy, just swap the heads and intake. Keep your fuel system. Then tune your PCM.
    Sly, can I run it with the upgrades before the tune? I'm just wondering if I should order the tune ahead of time or not.
    Thanks.
    1997 MGM (bought for a song) MODS: New 70mm MAF, True Duals w/ GlassPacks, 70mm TB, Full custom CAI w/ Cone Filter, SCT tune, Marauder 21mm rear sway, Moog end links, 29mm CVPI front sway, Trak Loc posi w/ 3:55's.

On The List: JMod, PI Intake, Ported Plenum, TB spacer (maybe) Fatter Tires for summer, HD Cop Shocks, Rims, and hopefully new green skin.

Comment

The 3v motors are shitty for mods. You're still better off with a 4v build.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by willmarquis View Post
        Sly, can I run it with the upgrades before the tune? I'm just wondering if I should order the tune ahead of time or not.
        Thanks.
        it should, though it may bitch about being lean. If it does gripe about being lean, use the injectors from the 05 as well. You may need to change out wire harnesses on them if they are different (which I don't think they are for those years), but if you keep your current MAF and injectors, it should be able to compensate in the normal RPM range of the NPI. You'll need the tune to rev over 5500 IIRC. PI engines rev to 6500 IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok cool. Thanks again for the info.
          1997 MGM (bought for a song) MODS: New 70mm MAF, True Duals w/ GlassPacks, 70mm TB, Full custom CAI w/ Cone Filter, SCT tune, Marauder 21mm rear sway, Moog end links, 29mm CVPI front sway, Trak Loc posi w/ 3:55's.

On The List: JMod, PI Intake, Ported Plenum, TB spacer (maybe) Fatter Tires for summer, HD Cop Shocks, Rims, and hopefully new green skin.

Comment

The 3V is a good engine, a 2V will gain more power from the same mods then a 3V will but the 3V will still be ahead, since the heads are more efficient and they have variable valve timing. There was a Mustang magazine that did that article, compared a 5.0, 4.6 2V, 4.6 3V and Coyote 5.0 Mustangs and added mods like headers, exhaust, intake and tune and the 2V improved the most from stock, although the power still goes in that order from least to most.

Since a 4V never came in a mainstream Mustang it wasn't compared but they do have loads of potential. I like the 3V because they get great mileage since they were designed more efficiently and still make a lot of power.
            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Forget about the '05 PCM, it is drive-by-wire. Take the whole '05 motor and drop it in your car. You will need a tune unless you pick up a PI P71 PCM and transmission which is compatible with it to install.

Comment

Yeah...I'm not to wild about the 'drive by wire' deal. And if I get the 05 engine I may just take what I need off it for now and then rebuild it for an install later.
                Being an interceptor engine I know the miles that are currently on it are hard ones.

Comment

UPDATE- Teksid blocks are great. But if you can find a 01-04 Explorer or Mountaineer, they have the WAP block; a 2v aluminum block that is even lighter than the Teksid block.
                  Granted, the Teksid is good for around 1200hp in stock form, I doubt your beast will see that. The WAP block, however, it good until around 600hp and hell, for the extra weight savings, and the fact that the PI head just bolt on, no mods, it worth it in my mind.
                  I really forgot to mention this earlier.

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Ryan...I have another option...Maybe I should start a new thread regarding it...But here it is anyway, since I'm here...
                    Dude up the road has a 4.6l out of a 1996 TBird that he says is HO. But I don't see anywhere that they made a "HO" 4.6 for the TBird besides the 95 Supercharged thing.....
                    Can I drop this right into the GrandMarq...? I see that the exhaust manifold are different so they'd probably have to be changed...and after looking under the hood I see that the cold air system is on the RH side (Like the stang).
                    Just wondering if you had any thoughts..... The TBird 4.6 has about 100,000 mi on it compared to mine which has almost 260,000.

Comment

The 2v and 4v timing covers are not compatibile. With 4v heads, 4v timing cover must be used.

The WAP blocks came in Marauders and Mach 1s, as well as a good deal of '99-'01 Cobras, not just Mountaineers & Aviators or whatever was posted.

Just thought I'd point out some info that was lacking.

Comment

I find it funny that this thread has been reawakened a bit, I was talking with Pirate today on FB about this very subject, as he's somehow managed to pick up the following cars and parts:

1. 1997 T-bird 4.6, 134K on it. He's driving it right now, and for once, he's not found anything to bitch about yet, meaning it might actually be a damn good car to own.

2. 1996 Mustang Cobra T45 transmission

3. 1994 Lincoln MK8, 108K miles. It's missing the transmission and seats...and that's about it.

He also still owns that '92 5.0 Bird that he got from his mom back in '08.

Anyway, him and I have been yakking back and forth about what to do with this pile of crap.

Build 1 involves putting the DOHC and 5-speed into the 1997 T-bird, and building something of a MN-12 1996-1998 Cobra.

Build 2 involves putting the DOHC and 5-speed into the old 1992 5.0 car. Considering how much free time he doesn't have right now, the mere thought of first removing the original 5.0 wiring, and then somehow retrofitting all of the MK8 harness...yeah, I don't see this one happening.

Build 3 involves patching the MK8 up, and putting the 5-speed in that car...and leaving the '97 Bird alone, using it as a daily driver. The old '92 gets parted out, and all of the new suspension components and other bits that went into the 1992 get spread out over the other two cars. I've seen a picture of what Pirate has in the collection...but he's got enough there to build at least another car.

Build 4, simply because the DOHC takes up so much damn room, involves using the DOHC short block, and installing PI heads/intake on that block, and tossing it and the 5-speed into the 1997. The problem is that from what Pirate and I can tell, the compression ratio shoots up to around...11.5:1 with PI heads, and 11.2:1 with the original T-bird NPI units. A positive? Pirate doesn't have to buy $900 DOHC headers, ported PI units actually work pretty good.

Build 4A involves all of Build 4, the MK8 gets scrapped, and the 1992 gets a 460 build.

Build 5 involves Pirate sending me all of the extra IRS stuff free of charge so I can build two IRS wagons.
                        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

If he actually found a car not to bitch about (the 97 t-bird) then I would just leave that car alone. I've come to the conclusion that in certain cases, leaving something close to stock is possible is sometimes the best choice.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                          X