No announcement yet.

Oil Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FL-1 or NAPA Gold, WIX. They are all good.
    89 CV LX 225/60 x 16 tires, CC819 rear springs, Front & rear sway bar, trans & PS cooler from 90 cop car. KYB shocks, F-150 on rear. Dual Exhaust w/ H pipe. Dark brown door panels, carpet, steering wheel, trim parts from a 87 Mer GM. Power front buckets from 96 Jeep Cherokee. LED'S front & rear. 3G Alt from a 97 Taurus wagon 3.0. Electric fan. Rear axle from a 97 PI 3.27 with disk brakes. Headlight relays.

Comment

I use FL-400s on my Vulcan Taurus. The fitment for the grand marquis is the FL-802s on the 4.6L. Will an FL-1A fit? I have seen to many Frams and super techs cut open to use them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Comment

I've found FL-1A's are too long for the 4.6's. Steering parts get in the way on turns and would probably puncture the filter - not a good thing!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I think the thread is also different between the 1A and 802s

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            I think the thread is also different between the 1A and 802s
            May very well be. My Dad had the 4.6 and my '95 also and never tried a FL-1A.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Motorcraft FL-1A or Purolator L30001 is all I ever used in 5.0s, and Motorcraft FL-820S or Purolator L24651 for my 4.6.
              Matt

Deep Jewel Green/Mocha 1993 Grand Marquis LS

Dual exhaust w/ Thrush Welded mufflers, 17x8 bullits, KYB shocks, Air Lift springs, Draw Tite Class II trailer hitch, and new valve seals @ 116,000 mi.

Comment

I have had good luck with Fram PH-8A filters for years now. Getting harder to find a filter for a 5.0 these days around here though, stores don't stock as much of them as there isn't so many older vehicles on the road here anymore. Oil boom economy got everyone drove to highfalutin lifestyles with new cars, bigger houses, cocaine and such.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've lost 10psi with a Fram filter. The ones I've seen cut open explain the loss.

Junk if you ask me.
                  Last edited by HiFiMerc; 01-18-2014, 11:29 PM.
                  1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

stay away from fram there junk , im sure my holey underwear filters better then them. you cant go wrong with wix ,napa gold, o riellys micro guards ( both made by wix ) or motorcraft, and puralotor pure one. i only use motorcraft or wix on mine.
                    sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                    87 mercury grand marquis
                    88 crown vic lx
                    89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                    89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                    00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                    03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

or if you want buy one of each and cut them in half and see for yourself what your getting. ive cut a good amount of filter apart new and used. and was shocked with some that i thought were good or premium filters
                      sigpicTHE H.I.D MASTER
                      87 mercury grand marquis
                      88 crown vic lx
                      89 mercury colony park ls (sold)
                      89 mercury grand marquis (sold)
                      00 ford crown vic lx hpp
                      03 mercury marauder aka punisher (sold )

Comment

As my car nears 425,000 miles, I've always used Frams, mostly Fram Toughguards.

Truly,
                        Robert Bernardo

Comment

Anyone ever seen this?

Not exactly scientific, but an interesting read, nonetheless.
                          Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                          Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                          Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                          Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I have been using these lately. They have all the best features from what I can see.

http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram...-filter.aspx#1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use the filter in conjunction with Mobil 1 Synthetic Extended performance oil. Buy at Wallmart. The filters and oil are both rated for 1 year or 15,000 miles. I normally never come close to that annual mileage in any car I maintain. Thus my cost for a DIY oil change is about $40 but I only have to do it once a year in April.
                            Last edited by jaywish; 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I've been using Motorcraft FL-1A's on my CV. If they're out of stock at the time of the oil change, I'll usually just grab whatever else is on the shelf that's compatible.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

The Motorcraft filters are some of the best on the market if you're driving a Ford product. Great weight, built very well too. Very inexpensive! Just look down inside your oil filters when comparing them. If you still want the grip and don't like using Fram, go with Purolator Gold filters.

Avoid STP or any other off brand, like SuperTech.

I personally use Autolites (de-badged Fram filter without the grip) on my daily driver. Only $2.69 at my parts store. My daily is now an '89 Park Avenue.
                                1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                                1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                                1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Working...
                                X