Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1993 Grand Marquis - Trinity [Drifter's Resurrection]

First, there was Samantha.

Then, there was Dorothy. And now, the trifecta...

A lot of stuff has gone down in the past 2 years. I mean a lot. To make a long story short, I decided I wasn't happy with a pickup truck, even though I pretty much was, and traded in my cherished Tacoma for a POS hatchback. Problem was, I truly couldn't stand the hatchback - so I ended up falling in love with a sports car, one I couldn't afford, one I wasn't wise enough to select uninsured motorist protection on since I couldn't afford the payments... see where this is going?

I get paid out $18k for a car I owe $43K on. Yeah. I ended up buying a 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage - awesome car, love it, 50 MPG is exceptionally good for a non-hybrid - but when the prospect of actually moving out of this house cropped up, the fact I'm over 20 stacks in default leads to a very sobering reality of bankruptcy - and the likely possibility that I'd have to part with my wonderful Thai assistant, Nariko. And so it began.

The hunt, I mean. The hunt for a good, cheap, rugged car. Condition first, fuel mileage second. I tire-kicked my way through shady used car dealer lots and bouncing off of already-sold Craigslist ads, I found myself at a delaer with a half-decent reputation. I knew exactly which car I wanted. It was a looker alright, a '85 Nissan Maxima with just under 120K on the lot for $1,000.

Sold.

Okay, next best thing, a rugged K car, a '94 Acclaim with the bulletproof 2.5.

Gone.

Okay, can't leave the $1,000 range really... '87 Cherokee? No way. I can't. They drive too miserable.

Then I laid eyes on her, a beautifully stealthy '93 Grand Marquis. She didn't have much to her... no keypad or keyless entry, no fancy schmancy features, not even a CD player. What she did have was less than 110 on the clock and a healthy sounding Romeo under the hood. Everything seemed kosher, give or take the tires were kinda rotted and the A/C only worked selectively... but hey, it's a 4.6, those are bulletproof, right? But $1,500 was too much ask for a car with UV-blasted clearcoat. I spent 15 minutes haggling back and fourth... eventually he wouldn't budge at $900. Hey... little underside rust, why not? So here she is, guys. It's been a while, hasn't it?

Meet Trinity.

I'll post more as I go along, a lot of typical sub-$1,000-car issues have cropped up but so far WHAT A BEAST! I mean oh man, I know this is going to piss a lot of box guys off, but you don't know what power is until you step into a Modular. Hot damn.
    1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Welcome back! Looks like a good starting point for $1000. She'll be there when you get your financials back in order.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
      Welcome back! Looks like a good starting point for $1000. She'll be there when you get your financials back in order.
      I hope you're right. She smokes a bit, I'm suspecting it's the valve guide seals, common pre-96 problem or so I hear.

Hey, if you guys know where I can find the entire 3 piece rear taillight/trim assembly, give me a hollar. I also think I need a brake light switch, cause the brake lights flicker when I'm braking lightly but come on solid if I'm braking hard.

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

Check EBAY or JY's for the tail lights.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Midnight Drifter View Post
          I mean oh man, I know this is going to piss a lot of box guys off, but you don't know what power is until you step into a Modular. Hot damn.
          Thats why you need an HO. The stock 5.0 pretty much sucks.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            Thats why you need an HO. The stock 5.0 pretty much sucks.
            Well if I wanted a 5.0 I'd probably look for a early '92... Trans bolts right up.

I'm happy with my mod though. Super happy. I've already had her up to gps appd 120 before I ran out of nerve fearing the 10 year old tires will blow out, lol

Comment

120 in an aero.....ok

And my 04 is hardly fast, but yes compared to stock lopo they feel like a rocket ship.

Looks like a decent find for 900, all the early aeros burn some oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                120 in an aero.....ok

And my 04 is hardly fast, but yes compared to stock lopo they feel like a rocket ship.

Looks like a decent find for 900, all the early aeros burn some oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
                Well, I never said the gps was accurate :P but it was well over 100, well into 4th. I think I scared the z06 I was tailing into thinking he was gonna get a ticket because as soon as I started closing in on him he slammed on the brakes.

Oh yeah, I love how the aod-e actually doesn't lock you into 3rd like the aod does.

Comment

Welcome back! Give Trinity the TLC she needs
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Her underside is pretty rusty, but I have no intention of not fixing the brakes and alignment, potentially addressing a frontal suspension clunk I discovered while making a run to the chicken shack near work, getting the A/C charged back up and functional, swapping the taillights, headlights and corner lamps for newer, cleaner ones and maybe treating her to Maaco.

She truly is regal. In a torn-jeans, farmer's tan, dirt road, beer-drinking country gal kind of way.

Any aircon experts in the house? If so, which is better... R409a or R414b?
                    Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 06-18-2014, 12:11 AM.

Comment

my 88 with the lopo 5.0 gets off the line like a rocket... but acceleration dies when it shifts into second. my 93 doesn't get off the line near as fast, but that PI engine comes into it's own around 3500-4000rpm and then it's sit down time. The 93 will outrun the 88 all day long, but the 88 will beat the 93 to 30 and maybe even 60 feet any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I think any car will beat Trinity to 60 MPH, except maybe my mirage. She sooooo struggles to get into her stride off the line... I think the engine finally hits the powerband at 25, maybe 30 MPH... the 1-2 upshift is near 55 mph at what sounds like 4,800 or 4,900 RPM... 2-3 comes right before the end of the speedo marking, and 3-4 happens somewhere north of 100 at a noticably lower RPM.

I'm pretty good at reading speed by engine pitch, but I need a tach.

I don't even think the engine is turning 2k when cruising at 80 MPH. The gearing on this car is crazy high. What kind of differential did this thing come from the factory!?
                        Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 06-18-2014, 12:07 PM.

Comment

I think you're about right. The original NPI engine in my 93 shifted around 5K. The PI engine shifts north of 5500 though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Mine has 2.73s.
                            I'll tell you what 80mph rpm is when I get it back on the road this weekend. I have a tech.
                            Also, aero's are electronically limited to 105 mph. GPS verified at 104.9. That's so the transmission output shaft won't blow apart and Fuck your car up.

-ryan s.
                            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                            Originally posted by pantera77
                            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                              Mine has 2.73s.
                              mine has 3.27, its HPP package.
                              1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
                              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                              1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                              1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Working...
                              X