Few exhaust questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few exhaust questions.

Okay, mines an '89 Grand Marquis and I've been planning to put a dual exhaust setup in it. I don't want it to get any louder, but I do want the benefit of a dual system.

I've been told I can just use a second stock muffler. That would be the most economically ideal solution, but I'm not sure about air restriction on them. If that's not too much of an issue, how would one go about cleaning out an old muffler?

Also on that note, where might I be able to find a used stock muffler? I can't find one online and the junkyard doesn't sell them either.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

I'm part of the "louder is better" crowd, so I can't comment on preventing increased exhaust noise. I'm assuming you're interested in upgrading the headers/manifolds while you're there? If yes, there's some great info here:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...xhaust-Options
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 07-01-2014, 12:51 AM. Reason: Added some context
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
    '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Yes, I've got eyes on a set of Lincoln Logs I intend to buy soon, so I should be set there. That's actually the thread I found out about them in.
      89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

I wouldn't waste my time with used mufflers personally. Any local parts store should have direct fit generic replacements if you want stock replacement mufflers.

You obviously need the H pipe, and drivers side muffler and tailpipe, not to mention the hangers for both.

For a stock lopo factory duals is fine. It's a 10+ hp gain over single exahust, and while not ideal, unless you have big plans in the future, it will be fine.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

no used mufflers.

Generic replacement mufflers will do OK. Might be slightly louder than the stock choker, but it won't be loud enough to annoy anyone.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

No, no huge engine projects for me in the forseeable future. If there are any other things I can do to improve power without negatively affecting mileage or reliability I'll do those too, but I'm not aware of any. Cold-air intake is a waste of money.

If you're sure they'll have replacements that sound the same, I'll do that. I haven't seen any online, and I've done some serious searching, but it couldn't hurt to take a look.
            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Check summit racing and/or jeg's and get yourself some walker tru-fit in the factory pipe diameter... Stick the largest case size muffler you can fit under there. The bigger the better. Do NOT use larger piping unless you have power mods planned; a larger diameter muffler piping is going to transmit more sound than a factory diameter muffler.

For a little more longevity, they offer a quiet-flow ss series for about 30% more and it's much closer to stainless steel. Also 2 mufflers after an h pipe should in theory be quieter than 1 muffler after any pipe. If you want to get stupid quiet, double up and run 4 mufflers - or 2 mufflers with 2 shorty resonators at the tailpipes.
              Last edited by Midnight Drifter; 07-01-2014, 06:53 PM.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Charlene

Saved from a tragic fate, planned mild restoration. Now with working heat, perfect for the cold winter!

Comment

It already is stupid quiet, actually. The fuel pump is the loudest noise it makes. I want to keep it that way so I can hear any unsavory noises it might start to make.

I've looked up the Quiet-flows on Youtube before and they don't really seem very quiet. But that's likely because nobody ever records their exhaust to show how quiet it is. I'm a minority it seems.

Resonators sound like a good idea. It'll add a considerable amount of cost, especially since they'll need to be welded on, but I can probably make it work.
                89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

I've got NAPA direct fit replacements (I think they are just relabeled walkers) on my 85. It's pretty much dead quiet.
                  2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                  1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Sounds good. Then I'll try that first and add the resonators later if I feel the need.
                    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Originally posted by ootdega View Post
                      Sounds good. Then I'll try that first and add the resonators later if I feel the need.
                      Here's the car at WOT, you can't even here the exhaust over the engine.

Comment

That's a pretty loud engine but I think I see the what you mean.
                        89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Its the scream of Granny's accessories spinning faster than blue-hair engineering ever intended. That stuff shuts up with an underdrive pulley, but it makes the idle AC performance suck a bit more than it should. The stock accessories were designed to create a meat locker at highway speeds with the engine turning some 1600 rpm and still managing to charge at full tick with a woefully under-rated alternator with shitty low RPM performance. The only way to get that done is with a massive crankshaft pulley that makes the stuff on the front of the motor spin like crazy.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I see. I guess they must have fixed those things to some extent by 89.
                            89 Grand Marquis GS.

Comment

Not so much. many folks upgrade the alternator in part for that reason. My lights used to dim in time with the turn signals when I had some stuff running.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X