1994 Lincoln Town Car "Build Thread"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1994 Lincoln Town Car "Build Thread"

I pulled the trigger a week ago on a 94 Lincoln Town Car and I am enjoying it so far. I have put about 120 miles on her and I guess I'll just throw up my general observations so far and some questions I have on it. First off it is one of the best riding cars that my family has ever owned. I thought that my mom's 88 GM was a great riding car, but this thing blows it away. It soaks up the bumps that a lot of cars don't. I'm not sure if I like it better than the 1973 F250 "Betsy" that it is replacing. I do miss feeling every bump and groove in the road (it makes you learn to drive), but on long trips the TC definitely is a better place to be. Gas mileage after 90 miles is sitting at 16.1 MPG, strictly city driving. I did dump some Lucas Fuel Injector treatment in it and replaced a worn PCV valve (and oil change), so I don't know if any of that is giving a temporary mileage boost or is this where I should expect it to sit? It seems much happier cruising at 55 (and maybe a short jaunt to 70) than the 40 mph drone. The car responds much better than my mom's 01 F150 does.

So I am wanting to do a couple of small modifications to it, not so much for power, but just to give it better driving attributes.

#1. Thrush Welded Mufflers. This may seem strange, but I usually don't drive by speedometer. I got so used to hearing every little blip in my truck that I could stop looking at the speedometer. And I believe a V8 equipped car should sound like it has a V8.

#2. Braking. It doesn't struggle to brake, I would just like a little more confidence if that makes any sense. It has cheap part store pads on it, so if you guys could suggest a good pad, that would probably help.

#3. Power. Eventually I would like to pull a bit more power from the motor. What is the best way to accomplish this. I am not looking for huge gains, but I would like to bring it up to around 240-250.

The suspension feels pretty capable, I tested it on some curvy roads that I knew fairly well. The car stayed more planted and more willing to comply than a lot of cars we have driven down there before (this is where my friends and I go to test out our new cars a lot of times). So thanks guys for all the info I am sure you will have for me, and I hope to become as much of the Panther family as I was the Dentside family.

You may want to consider a stainless muffler since the rest of the system is stainless. Do you have duals?

For the brakes, upgrade them to 98-02 brakes. This is a well documented and proven upgrade using commonly available parts. This has so far eliminated rotor warping from spirited driving on my wagon.

I am not the pro on upgrading the 4.6 but I believe a few of the guys will chime in on upgrading to later intakes and such. Another upgrade with commonly available and dependable parts.

You could change the rear gears but there will be a tradeoff in MPG. There is much discussion on how much.

I am guessing you have a rear sway bar? if not, get one, maybe a thicker one from a PI? I don't see that as adversely effecting the living room ride.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yes I do have a dual exhaust. Are all of the exhausts stainless?

I don't want the thing to be wrapped up like adding rear gears would do. The door sticker says that it is an open 3.08 rear gear. I had my fun with 4.10 rear gears, but this thing is to get me back and forth to college (70 miles). I just want to add the little bit of power missing from these older models. The newest versions had a rated 240, and that's right about where I want to be.

I'll have to look and see if I have a sway bar (I think I do, but then again I didn't check for one). Should I swap the front one for a PI version too or are they the same?

Comment

Yes they come stainless from the factory. I believe they are 2" pipes. Nice that you got one with duals. Is it an executive or a signature? Still have air springs?

I put new 3.08 gears in the wagon when rebuilding was needed. You may want to consider a posi carrier at some point for snow/mud traction. It really can make the difference if you need to drive in snow.

I am not an expert on the sways it is just a speculation on my part that the pi bars are heavier. Hope someone else posts up with confirmation one way or another. The TC could come with a heavy one to start?

Jay
        Last edited by jaywish; 07-02-2014, 01:33 AM.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Well I am assuming at some point there was a "repair" made to the exhaust system at one point as there are rusty bits behind the h-pipe but in front of the mufflers. Also the mufflers are held on by exhaust clamps (didn't realize that until I crawled back under there earlier to check and make sure the ones I want to put on would fit correctly).

It is a Signature and yes it does still have the air springs. They work well but if/when they go out I will swap them for PI springs.

A limited slip would be nice, I may go looking for a truck setup with slightly shorter gears 3.23? (I think that is a Ford ratio), but at the moment that isn't a huge concern. The lack of traction control bothered my dad at first, but it is all what we are used to. I drove a 390 with an open 4.10 setup through ice without too much issue. Did I have to drive slow? Yeah, but that was more of a brakes not stopping a 5000 lb truck rather than a spinning the wheels issue. But a limited slip is in the plans after the college (or during college if I can get an auto tech student to do it for me XD).

Comment

I went ahead and took a picture of her today. Still looking for a name, leaning towards Jennifer.

Comment

"Jen" needs some center caps. LOL!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Have you done a tune-up/plugs & wires yet? Because I'm getting 18 city from my '90 TC & '03 GM Ultimate. If you do highway cruise control @ 60-62 you should return 26.5+ ALL DAY. EVERY DAY. If everything is in working order.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                  Have you done a tune-up/plugs & wires yet? Because I'm getting 18 city from my '90 TC & '03 GM Ultimate. If you do highway cruise control @ 60-62 you should return 26.5+ ALL DAY. EVERY DAY. If everything is in working order.
                  this with real gas. with E10... drop it all by 15%

My box won't get better than 15 city running that 10% eth crap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hey guys, sorry I have been busy moving and it has been hectic. Well this car can haul a BUNCH in it. I am now averaging 18-19 in the city. I do want to change the spark plugs/wires but with the move it is hard to have time to do it. After 500 miles I've been loving it and it has been good to me so far. Although I think the oil is getting darker than it should kind of fast. Is that just from maybe having old oil in it for too long?

Comment

The 92-95 Panthers are notorious for having bad valve seals in the heads causing them to burn oil like a champion.

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I hadn't noticed the oil level go down any however? Would I be fine just changing the oil every 3000 miles instead of 5000 like the manual suggusts

Comment

I would change the oil every 3000 miles on your car. But I wouldn't use synthetic or a synthetic blend unless those seals were changed. That's what I do now.

-ryan s.
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Also, if your looking for the power of the newer models, you can swap in an engine of the newer models and solve that problem.
                            There are some mods that will make the Non-Performance Improved (NPI) engine work better.
                            I'm going to dyno mine with it's current set up next month. I'll let you know the results. I have a few mods done to my NPI as well.

-ryan s.
                            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
                              Also, if your looking for the power of the newer models, you can swap in an engine of the newer models and solve that problem.
                              There are some mods that will make the Non-Performance Improved (NPI) engine work better.
                              I'm going to dyno mine with it's current set up next month. I'll let you know the results. I have a few mods done to my NPI as well.

-ryan s.
                              I'd second that, the PI motor or head swap would do wonders compared to the old.
                              Some people use bigger throttle bodies, something that would make it feel like you have more power is the J-mod. If you're handy and willing to take apart the valve body, it's a worthwhile mod. If it has air ride, the air ride on townies is a common problem with them. I want to buy a aero towncar sometime down the road.. They're sweet. Is yours digi-dash or normal?

Edit:
                              Replace your ignition coils, those can hinder gas MPG
                              Last edited by Bobcat; 07-16-2014, 12:18 PM.
                              __________________________________________________

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
                              X