No announcement yet.

1988 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The muffler doesn't look too bad honestly. It could be a lot worse, like a giant fart cannon angled up from beneath the bumper weedwacking into the wind.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

That muffler is a great resonator being mounted that far back. You could have catless downpipes made for cheap for more power and that muffler will keep it from droning most likely. I'd go for it, how loud can a 150hp engine with single 2" pipe be?
      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

i drove the car for the first time at faster cruise speed and it does drone quite a bit. seeing that this car has a lack of OD at the moment it usually tachs in the neighborhood of 3k at 40-45 and doesnt sound too bad, but anything higher and its LOUD.

so i can only assume that WITH OD and cruising at 70 its gonna be the same haha.
        Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
        Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
        Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
          When the idiot light comes on, there needs to be some hands on work to check things out !
          when i realyed all the damage that she did to it (random hose, and radiator) i offered to teach her how to work on shit and she accepted so she did the radiator herself with my supervision of course and did a nice job and no issues with it so far. shes also been getting regularly educated on what to do if anything happens at all.

so we should be good from here on out.
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
            when i realyed all the damage that she did to it (random hose, and radiator) i offered to teach her how to work on shit and she accepted so she did the radiator herself with my supervision of course and did a nice job and no issues with it so far. shes also been getting regularly educated on what to do if anything happens at all.

so we should be good from here on out.
            Sounds like a keeper- both with regards to the car and the lady! Love that bluish gunmetal gray color too.... I've only seen ONE '88-'91 Grand Marq with that color in person, and it's in waaaaaaaaay worse shape than yours (sizable holes in all 4 quarters, holes in the doglegs near the rear doors, etc.).
            Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM. Reason: Added some context
            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

new tires for the 88!!!!!! $340 mounted on my new turbines and put on the car. 235 75 15's and theyre Goodyear.. later found out that theyre also light truck/suv all terrains hahaha.. #hellaflush #not really

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150226_104915[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1277152Click image for larger version

Name:	20150226_111001[1].jpg
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1277153Click image for larger version

Name:	20150226_111021[1].jpg
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	1277154Click image for larger version

Name:	20150226_135621[1].jpg
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1277155Click image for larger version

Name:	20150226_125410[1].jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	1277156Click image for larger version

Name:	20150303_223427[1].jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1277157Click image for larger version

Name:	20150305_111546[1].jpg
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1277158

Comment

also looking to drop some MSD goodies in her to make things a little smoother/reliable for my girlfriend.

Comment

I called it in your other thread. Like I said they're a good tire for the price, gonna put on a set when my truck needs new tires.

They're called light truck tires, but they're not LT tires, they don't have a heavier load rating than any normal passenger car tire and they say 35psi max indicating they're a soft compound. They may be all terrain but being so soft, I wouldn't do much offroad with them or they'll get torn up fast. They're good for snow and can handle a muddy road well, so on a small, lightweight truck like a Ranger/S10 with that as the stock size, it's a very popular choice and goes well with lighter weight trucks. My buddy's Blazer was a tank in snow with them, huge improvement over the old Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTS it had.

Comment

yea thats what they are then. they are a 35psi max. they do have some nice agressive tread on them. she just drives to work and she doesnt drive her car like i do mine, so theyll hold up nice. very smooth ride with them, im pleased

Comment

would the msd stuff be a good route to go with this car? i plan on cap/rotor kit, wires, and a coil. i can get them dirt cheap where i work so thats why i was considering it.

ive heard it would increase mpg a bit, get faster starts, and smother idle and driving

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                        I called it in your other thread. Like I said they're a good tire for the price, gonna put on a set when my truck needs new tires.

They're called light truck tires, but they're not LT tires, they don't have a heavier load rating than any normal passenger car tire and they say 35psi max indicating they're a soft compound. They may be all terrain but being so soft, I wouldn't do much offroad with them or they'll get torn up fast. They're good for snow and can handle a muddy road well, so on a small, lightweight truck like a Ranger/S10 with that as the stock size, it's a very popular choice and goes well with lighter weight trucks. My buddy's Blazer was a tank in snow with them, huge improvement over the old Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTS it had.
                        My girlfriend has the same tires on her '90 F-150, they are indeed awesome in the snow or anything else slippery.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                          would the msd stuff be a good route to go with this car? i plan on cap/rotor kit, wires, and a coil. i can get them dirt cheap where i work so thats why i was considering it.

ive heard it would increase mpg a bit, get faster starts, and smother idle and driving
                          I like Taylor products better, I've heard MSD coils aren't too reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                            I like Taylor products better, I've heard MSD coils aren't too reliable.
                            I can back that up with personal experience. My Firebird is on it's third MSD coil. Their cap failed me too.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I still use OEM and haven't had any negative issues. Just need to search for your best price as they can be overly expensive.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                                I can back that up with personal experience. My Firebird is on it's third MSD coil. Their cap failed me too.
                                DOH! Dont tell mine that..........have a 15 and 12 year old ones running fine...and a used one of uknown age...........maybe the newer ones are at fault/issue as a buddy purchased one a few years ago for his 5.0 and it developed a miss....stocker back on, no miss............
                                Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Working...
                                X