No announcement yet.

Speaker suggetions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad I found this thread, I got some Bose speakers out of an 03 silverado today, I know they work because I tried them in the truck, but I got them home and wired them up but no sound? Not sure what's up with it. Any suggestions?
    Current cars:
    1989 Crown Victoria LTD wagon, 94,872 miles
    1990 Volvo 240 DL 318,513 miles
    I've tried foreign cars but I always come back to Ford in the end.

Comment

If you want to keep the factory look (and I think factory mounting) check out these guys. They're a bit spendy, but to keep a factory look and get modern functionality... I wouldn't bother with any of their "package deals". The deck itself is expensive, but adding in all the other goodies just makes the price ridiculous. You can get everything else they offer in the package for much, much cheaper elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty much broke View Post
        Glad I found this thread, I got some Bose speakers out of an 03 silverado today, I know they work because I tried them in the truck, but I got them home and wired them up but no sound? Not sure what's up with it. Any suggestions?
        Are you running the factory head unit? If so they are probably drastically underpowered. Even with an aftermarket head unit they may be. The Bose systems are usually amplified.

Comment

Originally posted by RiggRMortis View Post
          Are you running the factory head unit? If so they are probably drastically underpowered. Even with an aftermarket head unit they may be. The Bose systems are usually amplified.
          This.
          On the GM vehicles with Bose speakers they are indeed usually part of an amplified system.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Damn. I guess I'll pull the amp out of the truck as well. Too bad the head unit doesn't fit or I'd take that too. It was my grandfathers truck but it's dead in the water now with only 107k miles on it. Blown trans and bad 4wd system. And the frame is rotten. It's a shame really. Hopefully the amp will get em working though, otherwise back to the old ford speakers.
            Current cars:
            1989 Crown Victoria LTD wagon, 94,872 miles
            1990 Volvo 240 DL 318,513 miles
            I've tried foreign cars but I always come back to Ford in the end.

Comment

Honestly, you'd probably be better off getting an aftermarket amp and speakers. Since Christmas is coming up, all this stuff will be on sale all over. Pawn shops would be where I would check first. Pioneer, in particular, are rather cheap and sound decent. A far cry from factory, and probably just as good if not better than those Bose OEM's.

I would also assume OEM amps aren't made to just drop into any vehicle, and might have specific connectors/requirements.

For about $50 you can go to the pawn shop and get a decent set of speakers and a 50-100 watt amp. If you have an aftermarket stereo already, it should be ready for amp wiring. If you don't have an aftermarket head unit, and don't want one, this may help.

Comment

Working...
              X