NEW 2G to 3G Alternator Swap Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEW 2G to 3G Alternator Swap Tutorial

Ok ill try my best to explain how to do the 2g to 3g alternator swap for any crown vic or grand marquis 89-91

*IMPORTANT* I did not have to grind down my alternator bracket and I did not have to switch the 2g pulley on to the 3g pulley
    I will link all of the parts that I used and what you may also use too.

DISCLAIMER- I did not go over how to remove the serpentine belt. Which i something you must know how to do.
    You must also disconnect the negative battery terminal to avoid and damage to you or the car.
    There are some steps I did not include such as removing your old 2g alternator.
    keep in mind that I am 15 years old. If I can do this then anyone else can.

TOOLS YOU WILL NEED: 1x Wire Cutter/ Stripper
    1x Wire Crimper
    1x Ratchet and socket set
    1x Roll of Electrical tape
    1x pair of scissors

This wire makes life very much easier. Its a 2g to 3g conversion wire that allows you to splice into the yellow regulator wire and the green wire into itself. Its basically a new wiring harness that plugs into the new 3g alternator while using apart of your old harness.

This small parts bag allows you to turn the two black charge wires into terminal wires that you post on to the terminal on the back of the 3g alternator and comes with a bolt to use to mount the alt to your original alternator bracket. JUST REMEMBER THE NEW ALTERNATOR I LINK YOU WILL NOT BE THREADED SO YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND A WASHER AND A NUT FROM A LOCAL HARDWARE STORE TO PROPERLY MOUNT THE TOP PART OF THE ALTERNATOR TO YOUR ORIGINAL BRACKET!!! It also comes with two heat shrink wraps and an extra stator wire.

This is what you'll need next. Its a 4guage power charge wire with a 200 amp fuse that you must hook up to the terminal on the back of the 3g alternator to the positive side of your starter solenoid. Your stock charge wires aren't capable of handling the type of power the 3g alternator will be making so it is important that you use this wire to prevent any damage to your electrical system.

This is the two important parts that youll need, which is the bases of which this swap is based upon. I used a brand new SVE 94-95 Mustang Cobra 130 AMP 3G Alternator and a half inch longer belt which makes it easier to put on and over the new pulley that comes with your 3g alternator. I found that the stock length belt wasn't able to fit onto the alternator because it was 1. too short. and 2. The pulley is bigger than the stock 2g alternators. This belt eliminates the two stupid options of grinding down your alternator/ps bracket and also keeps you from swapping the 2g pulley onto the 3g pulley.

Step 1. Locate the wires to your old harness. Locate the two black charge wires and cut and strip them as close as you can where they meet up to the plug. Then strip them and insert them into the two terminals provided by the small parts bag and then crimp. Mind you, get the shrink wraps on and over the wires after you cut them and before you crimp them into the terminals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1406426557296.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1302602

Name:	1407517837076.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1302603

Step 2. Locate the green and yellow wire that comes from the stator plug and cut them as close to the plug as possible and then strip them, insert them into the but end connectors on the new 2g to 3g conversion wiring harness. Green to green. Yellow to Yellow. Then crimp. Now all you should have left is the old white stator wire connecting the old plugs together. Discard that since the new harness comes with a stator wire that plugs straight into the new 3g alternator.

Name:	1406426557214.jpg
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	1302604

Name:	1407517837380.jpg
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	1302605

Step 3. Line up the bottom part of the alternator to the bottom hole and insert the original bolt and thread it in just a couple of turns. Then move the top part of the alternator behind the original bracket. Mind you that you may have to loosen the bracket in order to get the alternator behind it. Then once you have the new belt on and in place bring the alternator as far to the right as you can to create tension on the belt. Take the provided bolt from the small parts kit along with a washer from your local hardware store place that into the top alternator hole and then thread on the nut from your local hardware store and tighten down.

Name:	0808141742.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1302600

That's what it looks like with out the belt on and the bolt washer and nut holding it in place. That is the old belt you are seeing as well. (Which I didn't use)

Step4. Plug in the wiring harness into the female connectors on the new 3g alternator and take the two charge wires that you turned into terminals and put them on to the terminal post on the back of the alternator. Remember that charge wire? Well now is the time when it comes in handy! Put that on the same post as the two charge wires and tighten them down with the provided nut that comes on the alternator. Then run the second part of the 4guage wire and hook that up to the positive side to the battery on the starter solenoid. Make sure that the fuse is closer to the battery then to the alternator.

Name:	IMG_2175.JPG
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	1302599

Name:	IMG_2174.JPG
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	1302606

Step5. Now that your swap is complete take a roll of electrical tape and tape up the 2 charge wires together and then tape up the but end connectors for the yellow and green wires then tape them up together. Cut the excess with a pair of scissors.

Name:	IMG_2177.JPG
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	1302601
    Last edited by seanny_boyy; 08-22-2014, 12:21 AM.
    Proud owner of a 1989 Crown Victoria LX LTD
    • Restored The Car Back To Running Conidition
    • Has a very well respected and cared for 107K miles on the odometer
    • Rebuilt 4 speed AOD Transmission *Original Trans Still in Car*
    • Rebuilt Front End with New Hub Assembly
    • 3rd Owner (Car has been in the family since 91)
    • They don't make cars like this anymore so it will be a definite keeper!

15?! That was half my life ago... I'll be 30 in a few months and this past 15 years seemed to go by much quicker than the first 15.

Since there is already a 3G thread that has been stickied throw a link to your thread in there. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...upgrade-README
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Sticky!

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
      1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
      88 CVLX
      01 Marquis