My 79 Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 79 Grand Marquis

Here's a few pics of my 79 Grand Marquis. My future plans are to change the tips to a marauder style and over the winter build a 302 for it or buy a crate engine.

I seen the car around for awhile and always wanted it. It went up on kijiji a few years ago and the guy would never answer. It went up again and same thing, I found the guys address and managed to get ahold of him. Anyways, I got it. The PO has owned it for 23 years and it's flawless.

It's a 79, 302 2bbl with dual exhaust (stainless exhaust from the manifolds back with an h-pipe and two thrush welded). The roof has been redone and I'm assuming the sunroof it has isn't factory. It has custom interior (new carpet, black custom upholstered seats). My father is in the hospital right now so I don't have a lot of time and I'm not home but I'll post more pics when I am.
    79 Grand Marquis

Also, it's in MPH and labelled a "Marquis Brougham" instead of Grand Marquis.

Does this mean it's an American car?
    79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Pretty car!!! Sure you can't fit a 428 in there.

mike

Comment

I like the color that was painted on there.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It's a factory colour but was repainted 10 years ago.
          79 Grand Marquis

Comment

Cool. Never seen them that dark green. Much better then that puke green.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome back! I hope your Dad will be ok.
              '79 Continental Town Car
              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I believe there were 2 trim levels in 79, in the order of Marquis, Marquis Brougham. If I'm not mistaken, The Grand Marquis didn't show up till 83, when the 83 Fox body Marquis (also known as the "BABY" Marquis) showed up. The "BABY" Marquis was the replacement for the Mercury Zephyr, and ran till 86, when it was replaced by the Mercury Sable. The "BIG" Marquis continued on from this point as Grand Marquis in GS, and LS levels till it's final days in 2011. If I left something out guys, please chime in. BTW, where are the fender vents/gills?

MIKE

Comment

Oh man, that's wicked. Look at that clearcoat! And that vinyl top! Wow. That body color is extremely interesting too- I've never seen a box panther with that color before. Which is a shame, because it's a great color. Interesting how '79 is bereft of hood and side pinstripes. Was it a base model with the stripe delete? (Even the base model Grand Marqs are pretty well equipped though- something I've learned with my '89 GMGS!)

Definitely interested in seeing her build. I'm sure she'll make a great summer cruiser!
                  Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 08-30-2014, 11:05 PM. Reason: Added some context
                  '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                  '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                  '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Beautiful car. I still have a preference for those full size bumpers.
                    sigpic
                    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
                    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
                    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
                      Oh man, that's wicked. Look at that clearcoat! And that vinyl top! Wow. That body color is extremely interesting too- I've never seen a box panther with that color before. Which is a shame, because it's a great color. Interesting how '79 is bereft of hood and side pinstripes. Was it a base model with the stripe delete? (Even the base model Grand Marqs are pretty well equipped though- something I've learned with my '89 GMGS!)

Definitely interested in seeing her build. I'm sure she'll make a great summer cruiser!

It doesn't have it's original grille but it does have the little spot in the front bumper that would have matched the correct 79 grille. Hard to see in pictures.

Glad it doesn't have vents, it must have had fender replacement at some point because as I know, all of these cars should have had the vents right?
                      79 Grand Marquis

Comment

I'd like to see that car in person someday when I'm passing through NB. Let me know if you're interested and we can have a chat.
                        Normally I don't like green, but I like that dark green!
                        Cheers and enjoy that machine!
                        Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                        Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice find! I don't even think (but do dream) of getting a nice car like that. I can only afford an all-season car, and keeping the rust at bay is a bitch. Good luck to your father, and good luck with your build!

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

That's super mint. Very nice.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by Leafsrule16 View Post
                              Glad it doesn't have vents, it must have had fender replacement at some point because as I know, all of these cars should have had the vents right?
                              The early Merc's had them. Was it just the 79's that had them?
                              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Working...
                              X