Different gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different gas tank?

Has anyone tried using a newer gas tank in a box?
    I have to change my fuel pump and I know that 1992+ tanks have the pump mounted in the front rather than hidden behind the tank against the body, I was hoping to never have to drop the tank again and this would help in that.
    The box tank has the level sender on the front side way up on the passenger side, it looks like aero and whale tanks have it integrated into the pump hanger.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

the sending unit is also different and may not work with your gauge. I don't remember if the ohm rating of the newer pump/sending unit assemblies is the same as the box senders or not. As for fit, I have no clue. I do know for a fact that the hoses come out opposite sides since my fuel filter on the box is passenger side and on the aero is driver side, but I'm sure any extra hose needed can be acquired and hacked in.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
      Has anyone tried using a newer gas tank in a box?
      I have to change my fuel pump and I know that 1992+ tanks have the pump mounted in the front rather than hidden behind the tank against the body, I was hoping to never have to drop the tank again and this would help in that.
      The box tank has the level sender on the front side way up on the passenger side, it looks like aero and whale tanks have it integrated into the pump hanger.
      My 91 MGM has the sending unit integrated into the pump hanger and mounted on the front of the tank like you're describing.
      It may be possible to remove the pump/hanger assembly without dropping the tank but my dad and I dropped the tank. Not sure why we didn't think to try replacing it without dropping the tank.

Originally posted by sly View Post
      the sending unit is also different and may not work with your gauge. I don't remember if the ohm rating of the newer pump/sending unit assemblies is the same as the box senders or not. As for fit, I have no clue. I do know for a fact that the hoses come out opposite sides since my fuel filter on the box is passenger side and on the aero is driver side, but I'm sure any extra hose needed can be acquired and hacked in.
      I was thinking the same thing, that the different sending unit may not work properly with the 89 down gauge. Fuel filter on the 91 MGM is still on the passenger side, but I would imagine that some modifications to the fuel lines going to the tank are still required.
      Maybe a 91 tank would be easier to retrofit to an 89 down car, possibly fit, and maybe accomplish the goal of being able to replace pump/hanger assembly without tank removal.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

maybe... definitely need to figure out if the sender is compatible first.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

1989 fuel sender specs;
          Low fuel = high resistance = 60-86 ohms
          Full fuel = low resitance = 8-12 ohms.

Somebody with newer evtms can post up what they spec out sender resistance.

Alex.

Comment

Wagon tanks are specific to the wagon, ditto the sending unit assembly and the pump hanger. No tank swap for you.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              Wagon tanks are specific to the wagon, ditto the sending unit assembly and the pump hanger.
              True.

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
              1989 fuel sender specs;
              Low fuel = high resistance = 60-86 ohms
              Full fuel = low resitance = 8-12 ohms.

Somebody with newer evtms can post up what they spec out sender resistance.

Alex.
              For 91 5.0L Sedan, 5.8L and Wagon:
              Full = 160 ohms
              Empty = 15 ohms

91 EVTM shows "Fuel pump/Fuel gauge sender" for 5.0L Sedan
              and "Fuel Gauge Sender" for 5.8L and Wagon
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

bah... That's right... the wagon tank is different. sedan head here always forgets about that.

Comment

Looks like fuel guage would be another item to swap and bypass the low-fuel module as well if one wanted to use a later tank/pump/sender.

Alex.

Comment

Well, the sender is workable. You just need parts for a few different pump assemblies.
                    Once tested, I will give details on that part, right now I'm putting a new tank in.
                    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Working...
                    X