5.0 in 92 Grand Marquis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.0 in 92 Grand Marquis.

I just have a few questions, so i could actually start the process. I have been on and off asking these questions, but new one still come up. Currently I have a bastard block 92. I decided to go with a 302 since it will be cheaper in terms of mods. Now my plans are staying NA and putting a mild cam. I want this to be somewhat of a budget build. Would anyone have the part number for the brackets the 5.0 uses for the Ac compressor, alternator, power steering brackets. Although I want performance I also want comfort. I already did the big brake upgrade on it. Also, I plan to keep the AOD transmission but will build it to withstand the power. I decided to go with a Megasquirt system since it is cheaper in terms of tuning. For the fuel system I had replaced the lines with teflon 6 and 8 An size lines. So fuel wont be an issue. Just need to change the fuel pump. Now I will change out the rear gears. What would be the best route for the drivehsaft? Currently I have a steal driveshaft. I will upgrade to 4.10 gears.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Not sure that I can help much, but 86VickyLX has a 92 MGM with a 5.0 HO which I believe was previously owned by Lincolnmania and I think a handful of members had a hand in that swap. I'm sure the guys who worked on that swap will chime in.

Your 92 doesn't have an aluminum driveshaft? That seems odd since 91 MGMs have an aluminum driveshaft.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I don't know the part numbers for those brackets but I do know several JY's in Miami that will probably have them still on the cars.
      The U-pull it in Medley comes to mind. They are not hard to find, I saw two sets today without even looking for them.
      An aluminum driveshaft would be nice and probably not hard to find.
      I take it this is not going to be a DD? Because I think that with 4:10's your MPG's are going to suffer some.

Comment

Finding new brackets will be difficult and expensive. There were also different brackets depending on the year, and 2 different AC compressors. 3 if you want to talk about the 1979-only one.

Honestly, the easy way around this is to find a car, any car, and pull the complete bracket set from it. I'd probably suggest an 89-91 since that gives you the later AC compressor. The stuff on the other side should be basically the same for all years but just in case, having all the parts from the same year car will ensure it all fits.

All that said, frankly I don't remember whats on John's car. It was a collection of bits that were on hand for the most part. I think the AC parts we may have stolen from the 89 parts car that was around at the time. I think the PS pump and bracket originally came from the Couger that the motor came from, don't rightly know where the alternator bracket came from, but the 89 or the shelf are equally reasonable guesses.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

This will be my daily driver. I don't drive on the highway, all city miles. Will go this weekend to get those brackets.
          Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            Not sure that I can help much, but 86VickyLX has a 92 MGM with a 5.0 HO which I believe was previously owned by Lincolnmania and I think a handful of members had a hand in that swap. I'm sure the guys who worked on that swap will chime in.

Your 92 doesn't have an aluminum driveshaft? That seems odd since 91 MGMs have an aluminum driveshaft.
            This car has a steel driveshaft. But the problem is since I have an AOD transmission. I would either have to use a spacer with a aluminum driveshaft from a crown victoria, or to find one from a van and have it shorten.
            sigpic

Comment

So what i guess what i would do is go to the junkyard this week to get those brackets to start getting all the parts necessary. I guess i will do the gear swap before doing the engine swap, to at least have a rear end that will hold the power. Because the current rear end is the original.
              sigpic

Comment

The stock rear will deal with the power, its just a crappy gear ratio and won't do your performance any favors. 4.11 is probably too high though, 3.55 or 3.73 would be a more comfortable ratio I expect.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  The stock rear will deal with the power, its just a crappy gear ratio and won't do your performance any favors. 4.11 is probably too high though, 3.55 or 3.73 would be a more comfortable ratio I expect.
                  the reason why i decided to go with 4.10 is because I have heard from people over at crownvic.net that have gotten 3.73 and wished that they gotten 4.10 . Also the axleshafts have wear grooves on it. It is not that its damaged it just the part where the bearing rides is no longer shiney but a flat grey color from what I could remember. Don't know if this is common.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah, the axle wear is common. Its a feature of the 8.8 and any other rear that uses the axle shaft as a bearing race. Kind of a piss poor design choice, but its adequate for the intended use I guess.

Keep in mind most of the people on CVN are running a 4.6, which has a different torque band than a 302. Having ridden in a 92 Grand Marq with a stock rear and a 5.0 HO very recently, I can tell you its not that horrible. Not totally sure what rear is in that car, but its probably a 3.08. It could be a lot better, but I don't really think you would need a 4.11. That also tends to make it suck pretty bad on the highway, just in case you ever do leave Miami for some reason. I have a 3.55 in my car, and I've driven Scott's car with a 3.73. I think the 3.73 does pretty well, and it does fine on the highway too.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      yeah, the axle wear is common. Its a feature of the 8.8 and any other rear that uses the axle shaft as a bearing race. Kind of a piss poor design choice, but its adequate for the intended use I guess.

Keep in mind most of the people on CVN are running a 4.6, which has a different torque band than a 302. Having ridden in a 92 Grand Marq with a stock rear and a 5.0 HO very recently, I can tell you its not that horrible. Not totally sure what rear is in that car, but its probably a 3.08. It could be a lot better, but I don't really think you would need a 4.11. That also tends to make it suck pretty bad on the highway, just in case you ever do leave Miami for some reason. I have a 3.55 in my car, and I've driven Scott's car with a 3.73. I think the 3.73 does pretty well, and it does fine on the highway too.
                      To tell you the truth never though about the difference between both engines. I will do a wide ratio conversion to the AOD. So I really should see into 3.73 gears. The car has a 3.08 rear end. Also its an open diff.
                      sigpic

Comment

Wouldn't an aluminum driveshaft from a 90-91 bolt in?
                        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                          Wouldn't an aluminum driveshaft from a 90-91 bolt in?
                          I never knew 90-91 had aluminum driveshafts. which models in specific?
                          sigpic

Comment

90-91 CV/MGM. Not sure about the Town Car.
                            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

With a wide ratio, you can get by with even less rear gearing. Gander upon yonder chart:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...anny-tech-info

First gear effective with a wide ratio and a 3.27 is actually lower than a standard ratio and a 3.73. Second gear is fairly close.

Towncar drive shafts are different length.

Comment

Working...
                              X