Random air suspension light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random air suspension light

I've noticed on my newly acquired '01 Town Car that the Air Suspension light will randomly come on. The car always sits level, and from time to time I have heard the compressor kick in, and have also heard the purge solenoids on the air springs releasing air so everything seems alright. In all honestly I've never had the light come on when driving by myself even on a 150-200 mile drive. But if I have a passenger with me it always comes on within 15-20 miles regardless of whether they're in the front seat or back seat. Again everything seems to function fine other than the light coming on. If I shut the car off and restart it the light will stay out for another 15-20 miles. Is it possible that it's just an electrical gremlin? Or is there an easy way to diagnose the problem? I've also heard that theres a diagnostic port somewhere in trunk for the air suspension though I've not looked for it. I don't think it would matter though as I'm guessing it only throws a code when the lights on, and it would be difficult to plan that. I've also seen schematics of the air suspension system on these cars and realize it's fairly simple and definately not the mythical mechanical wonder that I've heard from uninformed individuals for years. Also regardless of what the problem is I'm fixing it correctly no coil spring conversions for me, the air suspension is one of the main reasons I bought a lincoln and not another Grand Marquis or Crown Vic. Thanks in advance for any help.

2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

I don't really have expertise for this, but I wanted to point out that the pattern you describe suggests the problem is not actually random. The extra weight seems to be the trigger. The only possibility that came to mind was that there's a leak that only shows up with the extra weight on the system. But, if that was the case, you would probably hear the compressor working overtime. Apart from that, I be stumped.

My 2000 MGM only has air springs in the rear with a single ride height sensor. Is yours the same?, or is it fancier?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
      I don't really have expertise for this, but I wanted to point out that the pattern you describe suggests the problem is not actually random. The extra weight seems to be the trigger. The only possibility that came to mind was that there's a leak that only shows up with the extra weight on the system. But, if that was the case, you would probably hear the compressor working overtime. Apart from that, I be stumped.

My 2000 MGM only has air springs in the rear with a single ride height sensor. Is yours the same?, or is it fancier?
      Same set up rear only, there might be some minor differences but from what I can find it's the same.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

Comment

I'm really starting to believe that this car is just prejudice against fat people. Came home from work today by myself (35 miles) no problem. Got home picked up 2 more hogs besides myself and drove 25 miles after 10 miles the air suspension light came on. When I got where I was going I called someone and had them come look at the car with all 3 of us in it and was told it was either level or slightly high in the rear. Same thing on the way home no sag, regardless of what the door sticker says I think the weight limit on this thing is 300lbs. not 1100. I still think it's an electrical glitch.

Comment

Well I finally crawled under the car today to see what was going on and lo and behold somebody replaced my air springs with coil springs at some time in the past. The solenoids are still hooked up and just hanging there along with the ride height sensor, not sure if they pulled the fuse for the compressor or if it's even still there. I apparently was hearing things when I thought I heard it running the other day. I would think the Air Suspension light would be on continuously but for some reason it's not, on one hand I'm glad I don't have to worry about the air springs, but on the other I really wish they were still there just something about keeping things original. I highly doubt I'll ever put air springs back in though, just too much trouble and I doubt it will make it ride any better as it's already the smoothest ride I've ever felt.

Comment

The fact that they took the air springs out suggests they had a problem that they didn't want to bother fixing. The best case scenario would be that there was a leak in the air springs but everything else still worked. Changing air springs isn't really any harder than changing coil springs, but I guess some people buy into the "no more problems when you have coil springs" hype. The big benefit of air suspension for me is that it keeps the ass end up regardless of the load. Going back to air springs would always be a theoretical option for you, but if there's a problem elsewhere, it might be a PITA to figure it out.

During the coil conversion process, they do something like cut a particular wire to keep the Air Suspension light from coming on. If they didn't do that with yours, that would be an option. I'm still at a loss as to why the light would only come on with extra weight in the car. Was the height sensor near anything that would have affected it when the ass end came down?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
            mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

My '95 GM was converted to coils and the Air Suspension light was always on until I cut the signal wire (I think it was behind the glove compartment but don't remember for sure).

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                The fact that they took the air springs out suggests they had a problem that they didn't want to bother fixing. The best case scenario would be that there was a leak in the air springs but everything else still worked. Changing air springs isn't really any harder than changing coil springs, but I guess some people buy into the "no more problems when you have coil springs" hype. The big benefit of air suspension for me is that it keeps the ass end up regardless of the load. Going back to air springs would always be a theoretical option for you, but if there's a problem elsewhere, it might be a PITA to figure it out.

During the coil conversion process, they do something like cut a particular wire to keep the Air Suspension light from coming on. If they didn't do that with yours, that would be an option. I'm still at a loss as to why the light would only come on with extra weight in the car. Was the height sensor near anything that would have affected it when the ass end came down?
                The height sensor is still hooked up. What I'm guessing happens is that when the height sensor senses sag the compressor kicks in because I've heard it and I've hear air leaking through the solenoids. Then I'm guessing after so long the compressor times out, the height sensor signals that there was no change in ride height and then the light comes on.

Comment

My 96 tc has ebach coil springs complements of myself . There is a wire behind glovebox that you cut . I would contact strutmasters.com and let them know your year make an model. They'll be able to tell you exactly which wire to cut.

Sent while thinking of new mods for my 96 TC, using Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by cheaneyt View Post
                    My 96 tc has ebach coil springs complements of myself . There is a wire behind glovebox that you cut . I would contact strutmasters.com and let them know your year make an model. They'll be able to tell you exactly which wire to cut.

Sent while thinking of new mods for my 96 TC, using Tapatalk.
                    I'm gonna leave it alone because theirs always a chance I may put air springs back in there someday.

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                      I'm gonna leave it alone because theirs always a chance I may put air springs back in there someday.
                      Makes sense. However, there is no other way (that I know of) to stop seeing the Air Suspension Light. Shutting off the switch, in the trunk doesn't do it. If it doesn't bother you, leave it alone, as you say.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                        The height sensor is still hooked up. What I'm guessing happens is that when the height sensor senses sag the compressor kicks in because I've heard it and I've hear air leaking through the solenoids. Then I'm guessing after so long the compressor times out, the height sensor signals that there was no change in ride height and then the light comes on.
                        Sounds right. When there's a leak somewhere, it's supposed to stop after a certain amount of time to prevent the compressor from burning out.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                          Makes sense. However, there is no other way (that I know of) to stop seeing the Air Suspension Light. Shutting off the switch, in the trunk doesn't do it. If it doesn't bother you, leave it alone, as you say.
                          Now that I know why the light comes on it doesn't bother me nearly as much as it did before.

Comment

Shut the system off and then as Miamibob suggested, look up the wire to cut behind the glovebox to shut the light off. It's a simple fix to patch back up if you go back to air.
                            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                            Past Panthers
                            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

According to strutmasters there is no wire to disable the light on '98 and newer town cars. It is controlled by the ecm, and short of having it reprogrammed there is nothing you can do. I'll just live with the light.

Comment

Working...
                              X