Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did some stuff to this today.

Washed it (carport life = bird poop).

New to this car headlights, junkyard finds. Low beams are Sylvania “Performance” and highs are typical Sylvania “halogen”.
    Before

After

This one fell part upon touching it.

Almost put 91 clears in but decided that would ruin the 1990 character.

Then replaced an exhaust hanger isolator. Needed two which I didn’t realize until I got under there. Will have to get another to complete the job, but one is doing it for now.

Do you 90-91 owners have a spring for the parking brake in this area? My 88 does. I think this may be my parking brake problem. Used a drum brake spring. It didn’t do well - stretched too much upon application of the brake.

Next up new to this car shocks. Newish Gabriel Ultras I pulled from the junkyard a while back. The first one sucked, like an hour an a half of struggle. Then I realized there was a nut on the top of the body of the shock. So the next one came out in three minutes easy peasy. These were original, with a 1990 part number. I don’t know if the earlier cars had them or not. I don’t remember my 82 having these when I pulled the original shocks. Certainly handy if your car has these.

Anti seize everything.

Then adjusted the transmission gear selector linkage. It was loose. Much better shifter feel. Don’t have to go to 1 to get OD and don’t skip reverse any more.

Next up baby rear sway bar install. Had to drill the two holes. Used a 15/32 bit. Not as bad as I figured. I suppose I could install an Aero P71 or HPP rear bar on this machine if I find one. Then install both... food for thought.

Busy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Dude, i just did the rear shocks on this 84 and it was a PITA even with no rear axle or gas tank under it. Coming at it them from inboard, still horrid.

Comment

New to car headlights really make the front end shine.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Those lights look so much better. I need to do the same on The Scab.
          I know there are some differences between the parking brake setup on my pre '90 Panthers but don't recall what those differences were. If I remember I'll try to look the cable this weekend on The Scab.
          I don't recall that large nut at the top of the shock body on The Ice Car, and I'm pretty sure those were original. If they're still in the shed at my parents' place I'll have to take a look next time.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
          Then adjusted the transmission gear selector linkage. It was loose. Much better shifter feel. Don’t have to go to 1 to get OD and don’t skip reverse any more.
          Hmm, sounds like The Ice Car, but I gave up on it. I tried following my shop manual but just couldn't seem to get it and figured it had something to do with the '89 trans. I swapped the linkage. I was only able to shift into 1, D, OD and maybe N with the '89 linkage. P, R, N, and OD is all I get with the '91 linkage. Figuring I messed up the cable by hooking it up with the '89 linkage, I ordered a new cable but got the same result. I have a spare shift cable now.

Next up baby rear sway bar install. Had to drill the two holes. Used a 15/32 bit. Not as bad as I figured. I suppose I could install an Aero P71 or HPP rear bar on this machine if I find one. Then install both... food for thought.
          Hmm, I know they mount different, but do they not occupy the same space in at least some areas? Double sway bars would be a neat option for the '90-'91 boxes if that's possible.

Also, I haven't forgotten about those lug nuts. I think last week was the first time I made it to a JY this year and I found none of that type.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
            Dude, i just did the rear shocks on this 84 and it was a PITA even with no rear axle or gas tank under it. Coming at it them from inboard, still horrid.
            Yeah... no reason for the design. The sedan I pulled from in the junkyard had some fender well access. Not much but more than the wagon here. After about an hour on the first one, I considered pulling the fake load floor and making an access hole in the real floor. But it didn’t quite come to that.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            New to car headlights really make the front end shine.
            Thanks David. Now if the paint would just shine. I think it’s given up the ghost.

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            Hmm, I know they mount different, but do they not occupy the same space in at least some areas? Double sway bars would be a neat option for the '90-'91 boxes if that's possible.

Also, I haven't forgotten about those lug nuts. I think last week was the first time I made it to a JY this year and I found none of that type.
            Thanks for keeping the lug nuts in mind. Also haven’t had any luck locally. I may steal the set off the 88 if nothing comes up. And as far as the double sway bar, not really sure if it’s possible but I thought it was an interesting concept.

Drive report: shocks provide great improvement in bounciness! Noticed no difference in handling running the 14” tires lol.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

The wagon looks great - nice nice work. Yea the rear shocks are a bit of a challenge. The factory shocks, and OEM replacements did have that hex head at the top. When I replaced the shocks on my 1990 - I vice gripped the smooth shaft and buzzed the nut off the top. For the rear, It was a ratcheting wrench and just spinning the dust cover. access still stinks.

Front end looks very clean.
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                If you do end up pulling that pedal assembly out, would you mind letting me know how different it is to standard box e-brake pedals? I've halfass thought of converting mine to a newer style so I could use common off the shelf parking brake cables with the rear disc swap. Not like I actually use the parking brake ever.
                Here’s the one I pulled from a 93 this past weekend. Eyeballing my 88, it looks very similar in terms of a bolt on swap. And for the earlier cars, hopefully no dash pulling needed. Pics are from the side that would be against the car).

Probably won’t install in the 90 until a heater core goes kaboom since the dash needs to be pulled back to replace this mechanism. But it’s good to have. Parts are drying up in junkyards here.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

hm, cool. I wouldn't expect any majorly different attachment but you never know. Might have to do this sometime if I ever decide to make the parking brake more useful. Probably ought to pull one just to have tho, you're right about the parts drying up. Even 90s stuff is getting thin anymore.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tell me about it. I still haven't found any bumper covers that are in decent shape around here.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Seeing a pic on ebay of an '89 reminded me that I never posted the pics I took a couple weeks ago of the e-brake cable.

Here's a pic of the '89 on Ebay:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	1285746

And some pics from my '91:

Name:	20190803_195815.jpg
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1285747

Name:	20190803_195824.jpg
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	1285748

Name:	20190803_195842.jpg
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1285749

Name:	20190803_200207.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1285750
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Put the turbines and new rubber on today. Really wish I had gotten white walls. I have never bought white wall tires for anything, so it didn’t cross my mind when I ordered these. Black walls it is. They are 225/70r15. Cheap Primewell Valera HT (Firestone house brand). They are fairly quiet but not as quiet as the old ones. The sidewall is too aggressive for my taste. BUT they aren’t from 2002 like the old tires. I do like the hubcap look and will keep them around in case I decide to go back (with new rubber).

Also swapped out the rear view mirror, dome light, drivers front door trim that a PO broke, and the drivers rear ashtray cover that my daughter broke.

Swapped the drivers side parking lights from the 88 to the 90 and vice versa. 88 sits out and was nice, 90 sits covered and was faded. The 88 just became a parts car technically. But a daily driver parts car.

Air bag light came on. New era gadget. Flashes 6 times all the time. Annoying.

Before:

After

Crusty dome light

Power mirror connector changed in 1990.

Not perfect but better.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Your wagon is looking great, the turbines make it right for me... I am a sucker for the right size whitewalls on these cars too.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by cbala View Post
                            Your wagon is looking great, the turbines make it right for me... I am a sucker for the right size whitewalls on these cars too.

Chris
                            Thanks.

I don’t know if I can live with the black walls. I am always one that is “I like this” instantly or “I don’t like this” permanently. Love/hate at first site.

The six flashes on the airbag light seems to be the clockspring from what I can dig up online. Is there anything to pull and clean, or is it just a replacement it part? Dorman still sells a replacement which kind of surprised me.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

mmmm... turbines

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks.

I don’t know if I can live with the black walls. I am always one that is “I like this” instantly or “I don’t like this” permanently. Love/hate at first site.

The six flashes on the airbag light seems to be the clockspring from what I can dig up online. Is there anything to pull and clean, or is it just a replacement it part? Dorman still sells a replacement which kind of surprised me.
                                I thought I could live with blackwalls myself, but after having them for a few years on the '97, I'm ready to go back. Just doesn't look right when I look at it. I don't think I could even try it on the '87.

Nexen and Toyo offer a whitewall in the 225/70R15 option, and more are available from other reputable names in the 215/70R15 flavor. I like the extra meat on the 225 series tires, and I'd like to try the Toyos, so when either car is due for tires, I'll be giving them a try.

Blackwalls look okay on cars with a little less sidewall, but on our 14" and 15" rims, they need them. The 16" and 17" cars can go either way.

My Cars:
                                -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                                -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                                -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                                -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X