PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My '05 MGM

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

And since I didn't get the CV running this year, I am keeping the winter tires on the MGM for the winter. Which changes the planning I had for both cars. Had I got the CV running, I woulda put the P71 wheel/Blizzak combo back onto the CV and installed winter tires on the stock MGM wheels. Then during the Spring, I would have gotten something for the summer (18" Saleen wheels).

Now, I might wait on that and install a full exhaust during the summer. I think I can get some MPG with a full exhaust. Just need to go to the junkyard and find a P71 with an intact dual exhaust to model my new pipes after. Then use decent muffs (20" Dynomax Turbo) to quiet it down. I also have some gaudy resonated exhaust tips from the '90s that I will use to further quiet it down; and cutouts since I have those late nights and need something to keep me awake on the highway. This all hinges on whether I get the CV running at all; seems to be always something that keeps me from getting some time with that car these days :-/

Finally got around to installing my front rotors and pads yesterday; the only day that was nice enough to do such work. The rotors that I removed were in decent shape and probably could be resurfaced and put back into service. For now, I am going with my SP Performance diamond slotted rotors. Unfortunately, I could only get the front rotors done as they come apart easily. The rear rotors, not so much. It looks like they have not been touched since 2005. The rotors were seized to the rear axle. I tried a small ball peen hammer with no success. Being afraid to go larger, I left them alone for now. I think I will get my balancer puller and yank those rotors off with that; rather than rapping on the rear axle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Also Also December 2017 022.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	82.6 KB 
ID:	49005Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Also Also December 2017 024.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	49006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Also Also December 2017 027.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	49007

This was meant for the '86 Crown Vic, but since I'm not likely gonna get that car running before the winter sets in, I decided to install it on my car. Much quieter than my home-made CAI for the CV. I can only hear it when I'm at mid-throttle on the highway; then it sounds like a 4bbl opening the secondaries. Don't see any difference in mpg, but I probably need to open the exhaust to see its potential.

Doctorate in Redneck Engineering

Exhaust and a tune, yeah
    2010 Mercury Grand Marquis LS “The Douche” - 70mm throttle body, P71 airbox, 21mm rear sway bay, dual exhaust, Dodge rims, 89K and counting. 4/2018-
    1966 Ford Thunderbird (390FE) “Fordy McFordface” - engine rebuild No. 3. 11/2016-
    RIP 2005 Buick LaCrosse CXS “Jumba” - gone too soon, 229K. 6/2017-2/2018
    RIP 2001 Chevrolet Tracker LT “Featherbrick” - gone too late, 156K POS. 6/2016-9/2016.
    Sold 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - 198K. 6/2016-4/2018

I’ve always been looking for one of those on the cheap for my Vic. Never found one yet. I doubt it will gain me anything over my pi air box so I am in no rush.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

The 4" plumbing elbow, 4" PVC pipe, and K&N cone filter I had on the CV whistled loud. May have mentioned it in the other Readers Ride thread. I think there may have been sharp corners inside that I didn't think about; might be why it whistled like a centrifugal SC. Perhaps it's smooth inside the K&N kit. In any event, I don't think I will see much benefit until I get that exhaust done; one way or another. Only reason I installed this was because it was in my Dad's way in the basement. LOL

I think in your case, I would find out what the CFMs are for the PI zip box vs the K&N kit (assuming they're honest). I imagine your car would be more sensitive to increases in CFM.

The next time I go to the junkyard for CV parts, I will see if they have any CV or MGM (03+) with a dual exhaust. If they still don't have any at the yard, I will cut the single exhaust off of one of those cars and use it to build a 3" single exhaust for this MGM. I did this with the Malibu back in the day, and that car definitely benefitted from a larger single exhaust (over the stock 1-7/8" pipe size). Unfortunately, I have to wait on the headers as I will need to get the CV on the road in order to do this. I also need to get some tires, maybe wheels too as the stock tires that came with the car are dry-rotting.

Well, the last time I was at the junkyard, I couldn't find any '03 - '11 Panthers with a dual exhaust. And I have 2 mufflers from the '86 CV that I can't use; so by default, I will be doing the dual conversion to my '05 using those mufflers; despite them having the incorrect style (offset/offset vs center/offset for the '05). I'll just have to make them work. As such, to remove the rest of the clutter from the basement, I will get some 2.5" piping and adapters for the exhaust pattern; also bought a driver side tailpipe from Rockauto for that tailpipe template; I will cut off the passenger side tailpipe and use that for the other template when the time comes. I will also use the glasspacks as resonators (which I also got for the '86). And since the car is already heavy, I will install the 4" exhaust tips that I got 22 years ago for the Malibu when big tips were all the rage. LOL

I like big tips. Just needs to be done tastefully. I have a set of large magnaflow big tips but since the last bit of my exhaust is angled down to clear the bumper the big tips would not be exiting in a fashion I would be proud of displaying. They wait their day once a custom exhaust is built for it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

LOL That was my thinking 22 years ago. Then the '90s ended and I realized that they wouldn't look right on the Malibu. So they sat in my room for years; awaiting their day. Then after I left, they remained in me old room until I returned 10 years ago. Now they are just in the way; and need to go somewhere. We'll see if they work on this car.

Yesterday, I found a place that will machine the center bore of my 2015 Explorer wheels out to fit the '05 MGM hubs. I dropped off the wheel thinking that they would have it for a little bit. So I went home and changed the oil . Just as I finished, the machine shop called and said they were ready. I ran down there and grabbed the wheel; got home and tried fitting it. The wheel is just a hair too small; and my Dad said that they must have cut it too fast as there is a little bit of a taper. I am going to measure it out and see what to do. I will probably tell them to bore it out to 2.78" and see how it fits.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12