No announcement yet.

My '05 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL That was my thinking 22 years ago. Then the '90s ended and I realized that they wouldn't look right on the Malibu. So they sat in my room for years; awaiting their day. Then after I left, they remained in me old room until I returned 10 years ago. Now they are just in the way; and need to go somewhere. We'll see if they work on this car.

Comment

Yesterday, I found a place that will machine the center bore of my 2015 Explorer wheels out to fit the '05 MGM hubs. I dropped off the wheel thinking that they would have it for a little bit. So I went home and changed the oil . Just as I finished, the machine shop called and said they were ready. I ran down there and grabbed the wheel; got home and tried fitting it. The wheel is just a hair too small; and my Dad said that they must have cut it too fast as there is a little bit of a taper. I am going to measure it out and see what to do. I will probably tell them to bore it out to 2.78" and see how it fits.

Comment

So we ended up going to 2.79"; as it was very tight at 2.78". Cleaned up the wheels and wrapped them in Blizaks. I will not make the mistake of running them in the summer as I did with the 10-hole P71 wheels on the Crown Vic. Here are a couple pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1303.JPEG
Views:	1
Size:	4.92 MB
ID:	1288110 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1302.JPEG
Size:	5.21 MB
ID:	1288111

Comment

That is one shiny ride. I am liking the contrast with the black.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nice. I had to scroll back to the first post to compare the stock wheels/wheel covers. I like the look with those winter wheels and tires. The stock/summer wheels/wheel covers are nice, but there's something (can't quite describe what) about this winter setup that I like more.
            I'll be putting my winter wheels and tires on the '98 soon. '98-'02 steelies I used on The Ice Car. Hopefully getting undercoating done at the end of the week.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yah, I am considering getting another set; machining them out; clean and paint; and wrap some summer tires around them to run in the warmer months. I like the look of the newer Explorer wheels. I just need to find Mercury center caps that will work with those wheels; from like a Mountaineer or something like that.

Comment

My winter wheels run the '98 Mountaineer center caps. Not sure if those would work for your '03+ wheels, but they do work with the '02- stuff.
                http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post824149
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Just looked at The Ice Car; I really like those center caps! I might consider those.

Comment

Looking good.

I have wondered what happens to winter tires when ran year round. Care to share?
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I threw mine on after dinner but ran out of light to get pictures. I'll update my '98 RR thread tomorrow and you'll get an idea how those same wheels and mountaineer centers look on an early whale.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        Looking good.

I have wondered what happens to winter tires when ran year round. Care to share?
                        If they are studded snows, In addition to wearing out the tires fast, you will get a ticket after a certain date. They must be off. Studs wear down very quick on dry roads.Damage the roads too.
                        If they are studless, they will wear out very very quick. The rubber is softer and does not like temperatures over 50 degrees or high speeds.

Comment

Like Mainemantom said; is exactly what happened. I got lazy and failed to switch out the Blizzaks on the CV one year. Despite the lack of mileage on that car, it wore those tires down a bit. I only got a couple seasons out of them on the '05 MGM before they stopped gripping wet pavement.

On the flip-side; summer tires are a harder compound and will not grip cold pavement. We had a freak October ice storm in 2011 that made getting the CV into the driveway a 15 minute ordeal. The Kumhos would not grip the .5" sluch on the road. Mind you, I was parked right in front of the driveway and I just had to cut the wheel and back it into the driveway. That was with the lopo; couldn't imagine what that would have been like with something that had a bit more hp/tq.

Comment

One lesson I learned with the Lincoln. Keep a bag of sand in the trunk year round just in case you need extra traction. I had to use sand in an intersection which had a grade. Another time right in the driveway. Having Posi trac makes the event worse !

Comment

T-stat is puking coolant. I will tighten it up a little when I get back. Just ordered another T-stat and housing. Will install ASAP when it arrives.

Comment

Looks like it's leaking from the bottom; might have been that way for a little bit; just noticing it now though. Since the T-stat housing is the top part; and this is the lower portion that mates to the cylinder head; does that mean I have to replace the intake manifold?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1288260 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	1288261

Comment

Working...
                                X