Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power steering noise

Hello folks,

Have a question about my 89 Marquis that currently lives in Europe. Ever since I've owned the car, it has made the gear noise when turning the steering wheel. It is the standard noise that happens in cars when they're low on power steering fluid.

We've lately had some power steering issues, namely a busted lower seal at the gearing followed by rupture of the high pressure steering hose. These things have caused the car to be driven a few miles with low steering fluid.

Now that the hose is in place, the power steering noise is still there and rather loud. Leaks have stopped. I am going to Europe soon and was wondering what parts to bring... Namely, is the sound usually coming from the compressor or the gearing.

Thanks!
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I believe the noise comes from the pump. I have no experience rebuilding or replacing the pump but rebuilding or replacing might be needed.

Is the steering wheel hard to turn?

Also, unrelated to the car, where at in Texas did you move to?
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Dallas! Just counting my third week down here....

I guess I'll buy the pump before I leave. I am also contemplating on getting a new water pump as it has had this "squak" for the last 6 years as well.

Comment

Ford specifies Type F for most older PS pumps....if you are using regular PS fluid in a Type F
        spec pump, it will get noisy.....
        Last edited by Bad-Driver1; 06-10-2016, 12:33 AM. Reason: brian fart moment
        I'm not completely oblivious to reality, I just choose to reject it when it doesn't line up with my opinions. (thanx Thain!)

Comment

Yep, for sure regular fluid was used...

If I was to replace the fluid would the noise go away or is it a one way street?

Comment

Well, you're not far from Sly.

I'd say you can try to change the fluid but, if parts for the car are hard to get in Lithuania, it may be worth it to take parts with you. Even if it ends up being as simple as changing the fluid, at least your brother will then have a start on a stockpile of parts. If the only way to get parts over there is to spend outrageous money on shipping, it might be worth it to him.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Ford pumps are rather unforgiving in the noise department. Once they start it won't go away until you rebuild/replace it. I had a remanufactured unit put on my '85 LTD and it made more noise than the one it replaced... Another tip is, don't hold the wheel at lock in either direction, back off just a bit. Going to lock and holding it there puts a lot of stress on the pump which leads to that noise. Dexron II will also work if you can't find type F anywhere. I had my system flushed and that's what they put in despite my bitching. And despite my bitching, it is still quiet.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The noise is usually the pump. The gearing will only have noise during motion. Unless the gear is leaking out of the shaft the pitman arm hangs on, they tend to have enough fluid in them to keep them happy enough. I'm just north of Dallas, in Lewisville. We should meet up sometime.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^^^^all that and some just started out noisy too. Mine kinda comes and goes but it's probably get the original fluid in it so it's probably due.

Comment

Some are noisy, they are all noisier with the wrong fluid though. If its really obnoxious, changing the fluid is probably not going to make it silent, but it may make it less loud.

i always thought mine was one of the quiet ones. Then I changed the pump because it was leaking from the seal. The replacement is really quiet. Wasn't anything special, just a Napa reman pump.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 use type F ATF for Ford box power steering pumps.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                      X