Aluminum Driveshaft / Conversion U joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum Driveshaft / Conversion U joints

Does anyone know what conversion U joint is needed when changing over the AOD/T5 slip yoke on to a newer police aluminum driveshaft?

I referenced this post: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...57-Driveshafts for info. I see 1330 1350 conversion joint is possibly what's needed?

I have a 1990 Towncar that has been converted to T5. I'm using a Sn95 bellhousing and use the matching, longer input shaft T5. Even with the stock AOD, the car always had a noticeable drive line vibration over 70mph. I have recently switched from the stock 3.08 rear gears to 3.55. Now I can't really go over 70mph, the vibrations are almost deadly feeling beyond 75+ mph. I assume it has to be from the driveshaft spinning much faster with the new gears.

-I have a stock steel driveshaft, being 1990 it does have the newer style pinion flange on the diff.
    -I grabbed a 2005(maybe it was 2008) police aluminum driveshaft from the junkyard this weekend. It has "POLICE" in black font stamped on it.

Also, does anyone know, being the longer Sn95 bellhousing/T5 setup will I need the driveshaft spacer?

Thanks
    -Matt

P.S. Glad to see the site is back up. It's been a while.
    Last edited by imatt; 12-05-2016, 01:43 PM. Reason: add sig
    1990 Towncar
    *1996 5.0 Explorer engine *GT40 ported Heads *GT40 style Intakes (light porting) * XE258HR-12 COMP Cam *A9P Mass Air ECU *T5 Transmission *3.55 w/TracLok Rear Gear ratio *1998-2002 Front Brakes and Hubs *Bilstein B6 4600 Struts *1998-2002 Front Police Swaybar

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I read this post: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post782454 to use your original AOD yoke would require a 1310/1350 conversion U-joint. BlackVic_P71 mentioned that he used 1330/1350 since he bought an AOD yoke that required 1330 instead of the original 1310.

I don't know much on this topic so can't provide any input on the other questions, but I'm sure someone here will have something useful for you.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Here is my install thread.

I put the old bits onto the aluminum driveshaft.

I cannot help with your other questions.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ok, so the stock AOD yoke should be 1310 is what I get from that.

87gtVic has a '95 drive shaft according to a later post in his thread, so the 5-134x (1310/1330) makes sense.

According to GM_Guy's post, it looks like you need to know if you have an '05 or an '08 since '05 should be 1330 and '08 should be 1350.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Thank you Guys!

VicCrownVic, I see what your saying. The 2005 shaft should use a 1330 where as the 2008 would be using a 1350.

I wish I could remember what it came off of, I looked under too many cars that day in the junkyard for a shaft that wasn't bent by the forklift. I believe I took it off of the 2008 and then went to compare it with other cars in the yard, but can't be sure.

Either way the 1310 1350 conversion joint is part# MOG-348. And the 1310 1330 joint is part# MOG-253 (in Moog respectively). The 348 is available in stock at multiple Oreilly's in my town.

Thanks again guys.
          1990 Towncar
          *1996 5.0 Explorer engine *GT40 ported Heads *GT40 style Intakes (light porting) * XE258HR-12 COMP Cam *A9P Mass Air ECU *T5 Transmission *3.55 w/TracLok Rear Gear ratio *1998-2002 Front Brakes and Hubs *Bilstein B6 4600 Struts *1998-2002 Front Police Swaybar

Comment

Well measure the damn thing! http://www2.dana.com/Expert/wc.dll?h...edsec~2~13~06~

1330 and 1350 use the same 3.625" cross width, but the caps are different size - 1350 has 1.188" caps, 1330 has 1.062" caps. If you need a 1330-1350 conversion joint the cheapest is #348 from Napa, it's a Moog part # but cross-references to their own one as well, around $20 is what it should run you. Nicer u-joint would be Spicer 5-648X.

For a 1310-1350 conversion the Spicer # is 5-460X.
            For a 1310-1330 conversion use Spicer # 5-134X.

Heads-up on Moog U-joints, I've never had one that fit properly, every single one I've ever had to deal with needed the retaining snap ring thinned down via angle grinder or other means. At the same rate, I've never had a Spicer that didn't fit right the first time with no mods to anything. Moog is made in China, Spicer also makes the cross in China these days but the caps and their content is US made. Moog uses simple rubber seal, Spicer has a triple-lip steel-cased rubber seal covered by a plastic wiper seal. In short fuck Moog, go Spicer if you can.
            Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 12-05-2016, 04:37 PM.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by imatt View Post
              Either way the 1310 1350 conversion joint is part# MOG-348.
              Wanted to double-check on that as I have one of those #348s brand new in the box, and you are correct that it is indeed a 1310-1350 joint. Which sucks for me since I need a 1330-1350 conversion for my driveshaft. Ah well, gotta make two more trips to NAPA it seems - one to order the thing and one more to collect it in a day or two. Sucks cause I was there just yesterday picking up some other parts, ah well.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

In my case I just decided to guess and went with the 1310 1350 joint and it ended up being the right one. Must have been out of the 2008 after all. I told the guy at Oreilly's I was looking for a 348 conversion joint and they were able to look it up with out issue. They only had the Precision brand in stock so I took it.

Hopefully will get the yokes switched out tonight and find out how off the driveshaft length really will be.
                1990 Towncar

Comment

Sounds like fun. Let's see some pics of that car matt!

Comment

Yeah, I used a new Ford AOD 1330 trans yoke with the 2007 driveshaft which was the same length as my stock driveshaft, been in for a few months and all is well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Got the joint switched over tonight. Looks like I will defiantly be needing a driveshaft spacer even with the longer Sn95 bellhousing/T5!

Rear axle off the ground:

Car on all four tires properly:

All I can find are 3/4in or 11/16in spacers do you really think that will be enough?
                      1990 Towncar

Comment

Eyeball says closer to 2 inches is about right. Are you using the Lincoln drive shaft? They are longer than the Vic drive shafts by a couple inches.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agreed on the 2" spacer! No idea where to get one tho... Also I was under the impression Lincolns didn't get an alu shaft, just steel?

Comment

Somebody used a Thunderbird aluminum driveshaft on a Town Car before, it was a 1996 Town Car and a 1997 Tbird
                            1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
                              Somebody used a Thunderbird aluminum driveshaft on a Town Car before, it was a 1996 Town Car and a 1997 Tbird
                              I found the thread elsewhere that you may be referring to. In that thread there was a suggestion that the aluminum driveshaft found on that '97 Tbird was not original to that car but more than likely came from a '93 Mark VIII (one year only deal but common swap for MN12s according to the suggestion).

I also found another thread on yet another forum that seems to suggest the aluminum drive shaft being a one year only '93 Mark VIII.

So, if the OP hits the JY and can't seem to find an MN12 with an aluminum driveshaft then the Internet may be right (isn't it always? ).

Of course, I'm only going by what the Internet says, I actually have no idea myself.
                              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 12-08-2016, 07:25 PM. Reason: forgot to include second link!
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                              X