PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    I forgot about that issue haha. Well glad it's fixed! Wonder where the spare harnesses went...I snipped a couple...
    I searched under all the seats and through all of the storage compartments. It's probably hidden somewhere. I did find that ancient poncho in a pouch deal in the driver's seat rear pocket, lol. The repaired connector worked well today while I ran some errands. Love the A/C in this thing.

I also worked on the passenger window. The motor has been replaced before as holes were already drilled previously to access the bolts. I'd say the motor has been worked on at least twice given the fact that the two wires running to the motor had a splice job done right next to the motor and then another splice job right up the motor. The Dorman motor I got had replacement connectors, so I cut right behind the furthest splice job and added in a plug so if I ever need to service the motor again, I can just unplug it. The motor swap went generally well, except for some reason the bottom screw would not thread into the motor, but the two on the sides did. Hopefully that won't cause any issues for the time being.

The old motor was a Ford one, but could not move the window on the regulator and ran very slowly after it was removed from the door. I'm going to look into possibly refurbishing it if possible should I need a spare for the front passenger or rear driver door.

I did not get around to doing the vent window swap yet. I need to find my cordless drill so I can drill the rivets out of the glass. It doesn't look like it should be too bad getting the glass out once the rivets are out.

Last thing I did before closing up the door was cleaned the drain holes at the bottom of the door. The front one was plugged with all sorts of garbage. These doors are solid on the inside, and I'd like to keep them that way.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (315K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold; Restoration Under Way
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (180K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

A/C in these works great, except in heavy traffic of course.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    A/C in these works great, except in heavy traffic of course.
    I'm thinking I may look at doing a setup similar to the Aeros with the electric fans that kick on when the A/C is turned on the to keep air flowing through the condenser. That would improve low speed A/C efficiency.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (315K Miles) - The Hideaway & April 2017 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (180K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 POTM Winner

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Aux fan is a good idea, but just making sure the fan clutch is good helps a lot.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

It will help a little. Even my 04s A/C performance in heavy traffic wasn't nearly as cold as when you were above 30MPH. Keeping it on Recirc(Max) made it better.

Been meaning to put up a picture of the instrument cluster with the refreshed backlighting:

The lighting is a little more even in person, but this is a fairly close picture. I probably need to add a good body ground since the cluster will dim or flicker a little bit when the brakes or turn signals are on. It's not aggravating, but you notice when it does it.

My Cars:

More work today!

The passenger side front door finally got its vent window swapped in with new window felt. The old window channel felt was so tough and brittle that once I got it all out, I had reduced it into hundreds of small pieces and chunks. I also installed a vent window dew wipe trim piece since it had a healthier dew wipe compared to what I pulled off. The old one was badly cracked and had scratched the original glass very deeply.

Swap photos:

I need to clean the glass, since it has been collecting dust and grime for some time. I know Nick had grabbed the glass and vent window some time ago since I remember the driver's side having been converted in 2014.

As far as the installation, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Getting the glass in and out wasn't any worse than when I changed my regulators on the '97. The only thing I'll complain about is Ford's affinity for pop rivets. All of the pop rivets that were removed were replaced by 1/4-20 x 1 flange bolts and locking flange nuts. The use of flange bolts and lock nuts cuts down the need for washers of the standard or locking type. The vent glass was secured with M6-20 x 22mm bolts and nuts since the 1/4-20 bolts were a touch large and didn't want to fit between the door body, dew wipe trim, and the vent window chassis.

Anyway, everything is good and I should be able to get the glass cleaned either tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 04-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.

My Cars:

I plan to do exactly that to my 90. Vent windows are a must.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - yard ornament (save me please)
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

3 out of 4 vehicles I've owned have been Box Panthers. VicCrownVic's Avatar

Cluster lighting looks good, reminds me of the dash in the '87 MGM that rsolis has; it looks like the same lighting he's running.
    Hmm... I my have to stock up on vent window parts.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, alternate DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe Winter DD - Down... again... Fn POS
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    Hmm... I my have to stock up on vent window parts.
    When I was speaking some time ago with TecNickal, I think he was looking to add them to his '89, but something about the holes weren't there on the door shell? Kinda hopes he chimes in on that in case I'm wrong. The disappearance of those holes may correlate to the vent window being dropped around '89 or there about. I know '90-'91 could not get them.

Anyway, if that happens to be an issue, it shouldn't be hard to drill the necessary holes to make it all work. The trick would be aligning the vent glass properly so that the window glass fits. You could probably use the dew wipe from the donor car as a template since there's a hole where the bolt passes through. Essentially there's a sandwich made when you bolt everything together from one side to the other: Door shell, dew wipe, vent window frame.

As far as sourcing the windows from donor cars, I typically have seen the style on my car on LTD models. They have the latches on the glass. On the Marquis models, I typically see those with a knob on the door panel which you turn that opens the glass. I have no idea how that setup is done, and I would say that the LTD would probably be the easiest one to do since you really don't "modify" anything to add them. I figure if you want to get crazy and make the knob style from a Marquis work, power to you.

My Cars:

Not the original door I see..
    Another thing which helps the A/C loads is using special window tint. I had mine done a few years back. Was spendy but sure keeps the heat of the sun's rays out and once the car cools down I can run the a/c at lower fan speeds & still keep it cold.

Not the original door I see..
    Another thing which helps the A/C loads is using special window tint. I had mine done a few years back. Was spendy but sure keeps the heat of the sun's rays out and once the car cools down I can run the a/c at lower fan speeds & still keep it cold.
    Original door, just not original paint on most of it. The color you see behind the panel was the factory color.

I intend on getting the windows re-tinted later on.

My Cars:

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
    Original door, just not original paint on most of it. The color you see behind the panel was the factory color.

I intend on getting the windows re-tinted later on.
    Oooh, well that explains that. New color much better than factory color.

I love this tint but I wish I could buy glass that already has the tint sandwiched in like factory done stuff. It's very delicate and requires special cleaners.

Southern

Something was off when I tried in my 89 so I gave up and continued using the full window. Oh well.
    89 was last year for vent windows.

Nice work!

3 out of 4 vehicles I've owned have been Box Panthers. VicCrownVic's Avatar

Good info on 90-91 not having vent windows as an option. I know I've seen 88 and 89 with vent windows in the JY, but even those are less common compared to 87 and older.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, alternate DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe Winter DD - Down... again... Fn POS
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Nice work. Vent windows are handy in the summer and just cruising around.
    ~David~ Click the Pic for the Low Down on the Vic...SERIOUSLY I DEMAND YOU!

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Aux fan is a good idea, but just making sure the fan clutch is good helps a lot.
    Is there a way to install one that is least intrusive to the factory wiring harness? There's a nice Flex-a-Lite kit but, there's so much hacking into the factory wiring that I really don't want it.
    1993 Ford F-150 Flareside - July 2010 - August 2013
    2008 Jeep Patriot company provided - January 2012 - October 2013
    2004 Ford Mustang - September 2013 - Present
    2011 Jeep Patriot company provided - October 2013 - June 2015
    2012 Jeep Patriot company provided - June 2015 - Present
    1987 Mercury Colony Park GS - August 2015 - Present
    2003 EZGO TXT - March 2015 - Present (it's road legal!)

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Me too. I have all the parts to do the change over on the 90 CV. I may have a glass shop do the job though. How many hours the change over take ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Me too. I have all the parts to do the change over on the 90 CV. I may have a glass shop do the job though. How many hours the change over take ?
    It took me about two and a half hours to do this job. The time was extended a bit by having to stop and get bolts from the store, then come back. The process is rather straight forwards once you get going.

My Cars:

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longroof87 View Post
    Is there a way to install one that is least intrusive to the factory wiring harness? There's a nice Flex-a-Lite kit but, there's so much hacking into the factory wiring that I really don't want it.

Depends what you're looking to do. If its just to run with the AC, you'd have to tap out of the feed to the compressor somehow. That signal would have to drive a relay, and you'd need power and ground. At a minimum you're tapping a wire into the stock harness though, no real way around it.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast