Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Newbie Post: 2008 Grand Marquis LS (Rear Suspension)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Newbie Post: 2008 Grand Marquis LS (Rear Suspension)

The GM is my work (Sales) car with 172k on Odometer.
    Additions:

Cyclone Snorkel: Most excellent for HP/Torque gain.
    Front/Rear (Addco) Torsion bars. Always a good upgrade.
    Performance Disc/Brake (Front-Back) **Yet to install
    Intake Manifold retro-fit. Should have been a recall.

The rear has always seemed low and slightly loose, even with sway bars installed. I wand to stabalize with either a lift kit or Coil/Shock upgrade. Researched this site and discovered:

Cargo Coils #CC819 (Country Squire?) and suggested rear shocks from a RWD F-150.

Sounds like a solid idea but would like member feedback.

I really love the ride.

Thanks.

Not sure on the springs... but the shocks will make the car ride VERY ROUGH unless you have an additional 200+ pounds in the trunk. And really need about 300 pounds to make it ride nice. I know this from pulling my trailer loaded with 3/4 ton of rock and actually pulling the car down to level. I have the sedan cargo coils (CC817 IIRC) and those truck shocks in my 88 MGM and unless I've got the trailer on it and loaded or the car full of guys, the rear rides like an unloaded dually.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Also, 98+ rear suspension has a watts link to locate it right to left. If the center stud has broken, no amount of anything will help stabilize that boat. You may also just need to replace all the bushings back there. My wife's 2000 Crown Vic has the same general idea in the rear and it's pretty dern stable. It's only got about 120K miles though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Welcome!

(Accidently deleted my first post... stupid phone.)

I don't know much about the newer stuff, but we have a few members who can give you some feedback.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

+1 on checking the Watts link parts. I don't know that mechanism well, but the Watts link serves for lateral location of the rear. If its messed up, the rear will float around very badly. Dead bushings would also make it do stupid things.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'll go with what the others said about the watts link stuff, but if you just have ass-sag, get a set of PI coils. They're stiffer than basic old-man sedan stuff but not as extreme as cargo or wagon springs. Those with a set of KYB gas-a-justs provide a good balance of comfort and support, kinda like boxer briefs.

Comment

I appreciate the responses. I plan to check out the PI coils with KYB gas struts. I did have the right rear spindle replaced about 2 years ago. It was making a slight grinding sound. The Mechanic also changed out the rear/pumpkin lubricant...seemed to solve the noise issue. I need to do some research on the WATTS link. This beast needs to stay on the road another 200k. I drive the I95 NE corridor everyday from Philadelphia to Virginia.

Comment

These cars do not have rear spindles. Maybe you had a bearing and or a seal and or an axle changed?
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I had a new set of stock p71 shocks, original p71 springs and an addco rear swaybar in my 05' and the car held tight. What I did notice is my p71 did not like mismatched tires... or my snow tires. I would change lanes doing 60 and the front would go where I wanted it to but the back just wanted to stay straight or would move in the direction I was going with a delayed reaction. When I ran just my rsa's all around or my nittos all around there was no problem.

Comment

That is why the teaching on tires indicated the best (usually talking traction here) go on the rear.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Welcome!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                      George Burns

Comment

Working...
                      X