Bypass Instrument Panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bypass Instrument Panel?

A lot has been happening in my life for the last 18 months. I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel. I might even start working on the Gray Bomber again this summer. I have a bunch of old cracked and sometimes stripped wires throughout the car. Been chasing too many electronic demons, and want to change them. I may get a Painless Mustang wire harness kit to make the job easier.

One item is the battery not charging without the instrument panel being plugged in (See below chats taken from my alternator upgrade). How can I bypass the instrument panel and still have the alternator charge the battery? I plan to use an aftermarket gauge with a needle. Maybe even remove all the old gauges and make some custom ones.

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
    As far as I know, the "AMP" light needs to be connected in order for the alternator to be charging (completes the curcuit). Try plugging in the instrument cluster and I bet all will be fine.
    Originally posted by BigT View Post
    Thanks! I hope your right!
    Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    He is, instrument cluster needs to hooked up for the alt to work.
    Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
    Your alternator won't charge at all with no bulb in the circuit. Should be fine once the cluster is installed again.
    Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    x3
    gotta have the instrument cluster installed or the battery will not charge

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

You could probably substitute a resistor in place of the light bulb.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
      You could probably substitute a resistor in place of the light bulb.
      What if I want to remove the cluster all together and make a new set of gauges?

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

I can't give detail such as wire colors and pin numbers since I don't have my EVTM with me, but all you need to do is determine which two wires from the cluster connector you need and throw a bulb and resistor in parallel between the two wires. Done.

So essentially you would be just relocating the warning light to whereever you wanted it.

The image below shows all the circuit you need to know. The only part of the picture you care about is the green highlighted wires (again, w/o EVTM I'm not sure what color they are, might both be green w/red stripe though), the Hot In Run 20A fuse, the Resistor, and the bulb. So in the picture, just like in reality, it's a 2G so who cares about that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse-link-gm-alternator-wiring-diagram-instrument-cluster-hot-in-run-collection-red-yellow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1281424
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Just apply 12v to the red and green wire at the alternator with key. DONE.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Or that, but if I'm driving in nice weather with the windows down and no lights or radio to go dim if something goes bad the warning light is nice to have.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Not all faults trip the light. I've had at least 2 alternators go bad without the light coming on. If he's installing a voltmeter, that will tell all that needs to be known about what the alternator is doing.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                Or that, but if I'm driving in nice weather with the windows down and no lights or radio to go dim if something goes bad the warning light is nice to have.
                Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                Not all faults trip the light. I've had at least 2 alternators go bad without the light coming on. If he's installing a voltmeter, that will tell all that needs to be known about what the alternator is doing.
                Fireturd expects you to be a car guy and use those gages for their intended purpose. Took Ashley out to dinner for her B-day one year in it and the alternator died on the trip back, well that or when I got there. Volt meter in left area and going down was the indicator as well as slow turn signals and dimming headlights, slow blower all of that. LoL I was running every accessory except the defrost. Turned everything off and hit the flashers. Made it home which was some 5 or 10 miles away, installed new alternator and it fired right up. My experience with Optimas has been pretty good.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Just apply 12v to the red and green wire at the alternator with key. DONE.
                  Just what I was looking for...easy peasy!

Thanks for all of your guy's suggestions! I always get good info from this forum. And with your help I might get the old gal running like a champ again.

sigpic

George Burns

Comment

No worries.

My car has been wired that way since 2010 or so when I eliminated the idiot lights in favor of installing gauges in the speedometer.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X