PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need more help...

Default Need more help...

Car ran fine night before, get in today needed gas so I went out of fill it up, started having a dead miss every once and while under throttle so I filled it up with 93 like I usually do and it kept doing worse and worse, floored it up the road see if maybe just needed to be cleared out and it got worse to the point where it barley idles now and won't run at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_3204.MP4

3 out of 4 vehicles I've owned have been Box Panthers. VicCrownVic's Avatar

Check the fuel pressure.
    If it's EFI (in tank fuel pump) the hose inside the tank between the pump and tank output may have split and most of the fuel will then dump right back into the tank. Has the fuel filter been changed recently?

Edit: '87, 302 should be EFI.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-10-2017 at 07:25 PM.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, alternate DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe Winter DD - Down... again... Fn POS
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Ah, you filled it up. Definitely a fuel pump then. They only die when its most frustrating to change you know.

Not kidding all that much, though I'm sure its coincidence. Check the fuel pressure, go from there. Fuel or fire, but this definitely sounds like fuel to me.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

If you can check fuel pressure if below 36 psi need new pump.

Anything below 36 is bad?

3 out of 4 vehicles I've owned have been Box Panthers. VicCrownVic's Avatar

I'm not at home w/service manual but I think 36 is in the good range. We're you able to get a reading?

Do you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on but don't crank the engine? It should prime when you do that. If you don't hear it, it's likely a dead pump based on the slow death. A relay is either on or off, so it doesn't seem to be the fuel pump relay.
    If you do hear the pump it could be the in tank hose, or the pump going/gone weak, or even a clogged filter.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-11-2017 at 02:34 PM.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, alternate DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe Winter DD - Down... again... Fn POS
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

This is what I got, barley idleing

So does that mean it's the pump in the tank?

32 with vacuum connected to the regulator, 42 without is the norm. 25 is too low. The regulators very rarely fail, but if you pull the vacuum line off and it has gas coming out of the reg, there's your trouble. regulator is on the fuel rail, and has a vacuum line going to it.

Fair chance its the pump, but try changing the fuel filter first. You might get lucky.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

If the fuel pump reads below 36 PSI chances you will need a fuel pump my car the fuel pump went south car idled fine but no go fast it measured below 36 PSI so I had it replaced now my car runs fine.

Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

It could be the pump unit fell apart inside the tank. My 88 Town Car did exactly what your car is doing now a couple of years ago. Turns out the pickup tube was almost fell off the pump, so it wasn't building up pressure even though the pump itself was working fine. I tried everything to avoid dropping the tank and removing the pump, but int he end I ended up having to do the big job.

Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 267,xxx km. Out for 2017, new HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22.
    Winter vehicle-> 1996 Ford F-150 XL 4x4, orange, 302,xxx+km. AKA "King Billy". Takes the beating like no vehicle should ever have to. Bought 2013/11/26.

I've had experience with fuel pressure at 20psi with a water logged fuel filter. Replaced and fuel pressure went back to normal. It can damn well be just the fuel filter after getting some shite gas.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

New fuel pump and tank, same thing, gonna try a new filter tomorrow

Learn from Karl Childers; Simple things first!
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Yeah yeah, tank leaked like a civ so figured it'd be easier and do both at that same time

New fuel filter no difference? No idea what else to do

Car idles okay little rough but any throttle it won't rev up and starts popping

Hmm, I guess I'd verify your timing. Once upon a time I once changed out a TFI module but the distributor ended up retarded by a tooth. Idled OK but would not rev up and had no power. Chooched lots of white smoke out the back too, steam like. Once corrected it was back to running like a top.

Sent with my phonic while eating biscuits & mustard with French-fried taters mm-hmm.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Have you confirmed the fuel pressure now with a new pump?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast