No announcement yet.

Bigger front swaybar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 91 with an 02 front sway from a CVPI, it will fit. But you have to have a spindle that will accept the end links. I did the big brake swap using 02 spindles,
    so I had no problems. 92+ spindles will work, I don't think the older spindles have the proper mounting holes for the end links.

Comment

The late style bars don't take the early style endlinks. The early bars had a hole roughly 3/4" diameter and it was meant to take the type endlink that uses the two big rubber bushings on either side of the bar. Same thing down on the lower control arm side where it attaches.

Late bars have a hole roughly 3/8", meant for an endlink that is just a threaded stud with a nut to put it together. The other end attaches to the top of the spindle with a ball joint end. You can put a late bar on with big brakes, it works perfectly and probably performs better than the early bar configuration. You might be able to drill the end out of a late style bar enough to take the early endlinks if you're determined though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

98-02 Addco would be the best front bar you could use, they also use the older style end links instead of the awful new ball and socket ones.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Saving this thread for parts shopping reference when the time comes to get my boxes going come spring, thanks guys! Perhaps we should add the useful info here to the box chassis body of knowledge? Much easier to just buy an addco bar than go hunting for a junked wagon to pull one from, can't remember the last LTD CS or GM CP I saw in a yard around here.
          '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
          '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
          '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

So addco front bars would be the best option then. are they different sizes or just one size

Comment

Im guessing this is the addco front swaybar. What i want is since im upgrading to the big brake i want to upgrade the swaybar as much as i can. Even If its the addco or the wagon. Thanks in advance everyone
              Attached Files

Comment

oh right... If you have the big brakes, you can use the aero/whale bars up to 2002 with the 98-02 links (to fit the spindles).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

one thing i have noticed using the urethane bushings were the sway bar mounts to the frame helps quite a bit. on the end links its a bit of a toss up on what works best. At some point once the front is set up the way i want springs , brakes, alignment will be going with a 3 piece hollow straight swaybar such as used in NASCAR and other track cars. these set ups often reduce the need for such stiff springs due to there ability to reduce sway compaired to bent sway bars
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    oh right... If you have the big brakes, you can use the aero/whale bars up to 2002 with the 98-02 links (to fit the spindles).
                    You can run a '92-'02 bar with Box style end links. My '97 has sway bar end links for a 1990 LTD Crown Victoria. Fits the bar and the hole in the lower control arm just fine. I stopped using the ball-type end link when TecNickal helped me replace the shocks and such a few years ago. As far as handling goes it behaved better than the worn out ones that were on it and I've never felt worried even under hard cornering.

I've been half tempted to swap the wagon's bar onto the '97 since the wagon has a Box police bar in the front. Assuming that fits fine, I don't see why one couldn't utilize the larger front bars from the newer cars, like from CVPIs and HPPs.
                    Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 01-13-2018, 02:19 PM.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

That's more clearance than I thought it would have. Nice. I would tighten the nuts to at least compress the bushings a little though. Hopefully this is just a picture before the tightening.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        That's more clearance than I thought it would have. Nice. I would tighten the nuts to at least compress the bushings a little though. Hopefully this is just a picture before the tightening.
                        Yeah, that’s set to what the box called for. When tightened up a bit more, they fit flush. I prefer using “dome” looking type bushing end links, but the current ones were cheap. I think Moog K6629 and K700535 features the more preferable bushings when using the Box type links on an Aero/Whale. I’m sure the reverse would be the same for using a newer Aero/Whale bar on a Box.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I prefer the energy suspension bushing kit. It's only like $8.39 for 8 (enough for one pair of links).
                          http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...E1298106R.html

Comment

Went junkyard diving because 50% off sale picked up the front swaybar off a 98 mgm (the top) feels way heavyer also it is more straight . The other ones is of a 91 mgm (bottom) that was in the yard i was compering the difference
                            Attached Files

Comment

weight really doesn't matter so much, its mostly diameter. Handling package and police cars have the fatter bars.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Though... more straight is more better. Don't want the sway bar to add to the lean.

Comment

Working...
                                X