Jerking after shift on heavy acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jerking after shift on heavy acceleration

Recently I’ve noticed that after the gear shifts if I give the car too much gas it will violently jerk and not accelerate. It’s only if I accelerate slowly it won’t jerk. And once your past the initial shift it tends to be fine afterward. It just after the shift of a gear, most noticeably the last gear. Recently did the water pump, and ignition control module if that helps.

87 Grand Marquis
    302 Engine 136k miles
    Last edited by rsolis; 02-06-2018, 11:20 PM.

Check the TV bushing. If something is going with that, it will mess with pressure and change how it shifts. Low pressure makes it shudder and do stupid things. Also roasts the transmission.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I replaced it when I got it but I will double check.

Comment

How's the fluid level? Low fluid can do funny things
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I was told by a wise man on this forum that the downshift when you punch it has a jerk becuase it bypasses the torque converter. See this thread... Post number 46

1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Comment

It's been a while, good to hear from you again.

Check the TV bushing like gadget said and make sure the cable moves smoothly.
            Lithdoc had an issue with his '89 MGM trans a few years ago when he still lived in the area. I don't recall if it was the same symptom, but his TV cable was not moving freely. He got under the car and lubed the TV linkage at the trans (not sure if he lubed anywhere else) and was back to shifting normal.

Also, I'm not sure if we are doing another Detroit mini meet this summer, but if you're still in the area keep an eye on the forum for that.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Bushing is good and the cable flows freely with the trottle. Any other ideas?

Comment

No idea from me. If you haven't already, check the fluid level like Phil mentioned to rule it out.

When you said "not accelerate" does it seem like it's slipping into neutral for a second?
                If I understand you correctly this isn't just the normal AOD clunk, but an issue which your transmission previously did not exhibit.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Also sticky or worn valves in the valve body can do this. There's no way to test them without removing it though. Hows the fluid look/smell? is it dark? smell burnt?
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

What I mean by now accelerate is that the car is shaking that it’s not actually gaining more speed. It’s not a trans slip by any means.

Comment

When I incorrectly installed my TV pressure valve in my valve body, it would act exactly as you are describing, the car would shake as the trans was slipping (think clutch chatter in a manual). I would immediately stop driving it, if you haven't already done it
                      -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Also worth asking, but does it run properly otherwise? If you had a fouled plug or something else causing a dead cylinder you may get similar behavior but I would expect it to be off at idle too.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It runs fine otherwise and seems to be fine idling.

Comment

Working...
                          X