7 inch wide body side molding question for 2000 MGM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7 inch wide body side molding question for 2000 MGM

Now that I removed any and all traces of the old body side molding that fell apart in the Florida sun I am left with two large holes one in each of the rear doors.

I have to ask why the hell did Ford in their infinate wisdom put these oval shaped holes in the doors?

I was hoping to run this car without body side molding.

While researching part mubers and availibility for these side moldings I found Ford has some of these color matched ( prepainted but none in white) and some primered for the 2000 GMG LS

Yet if I look up Body side molding for the 2008 GMG LS they have all of these parts seemingly bare or primed which is what i would want

They have the same part numbers and look identical but are they realy identical?

If I purchased all the body side molding pieces from Ford for the 2008 LS they would run $769.91 plus I would have to get them painted or paint them myself.

My question is what other options do i have for Body side molding I found some not all of these pieces from Rock Auto yet they list different manufactures which would end up a cobbled up mess.

Ford and the aftermarket shows a thinner Body side molding yet it would not cover up the few paint issues i had during the removal of the old molding strips.

Has anyone here had to deal with rotted body side moldings What did you do about it? I was thinking about just putting some sort of badge or emblem over the holes and calling it a day.

I like the look of the wide body side moldings but in the end I am sure I will have over $1000 putting them back on

Thanks for any advice or tips
    Attached Files
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

What are the chances of visiting a self service junkyard and finding any in usable condition? If your car came from the same area as the junked ones maybe not so good..... Id still entertain that idea before shelling out that kinda dough.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

That is a good idea and a good question. For now until my MGM is on the road and legal I am stuck at home, we bought my wife the car of her dreams which is a 2016 Mini Cooper but that car is a nightmare for my back and neck to try and get in and out of.

The other thing is if the moldings found in a junk yard are good i would most likley destroy them taking them off, the double sided tape used is a real PITA to remove.

In the past I have used dental floss to saw through this type of tape yet because of the shape of the molding this would not be possible.

Not to mention my back and neck could not handle this tyoe of work all at once, I have to do a little here and a little there and take lots of breaks in between for this reason I would rather have to save up for 3-4 months to afford the new moldings if I cannot come up with a better more affordable solution.

I have thought about the cheap cut to fit body side modlings but I am sure that would look worse than a badge of some sort stuck over the holes LOL

Comment

I bet some of our members can find you a color matched set from a northern area with less UV rays and hopefully better condition plastic. I’ll keep a look out.

From what I see, 1998-2005 will work.

Would you mind verifying your color code from the door data sticker? I think your color code is WT. Here’s where to find it:
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Holes in the doors were used during the assembly process.

Comment

I don't know about junkyards in your area, but around Connecticut and N.Y. the junkyards will not sell trim off a door, you have to buy the whole door, unless the door is damaged, WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

1.Could you find a small rubber or plastic plug that would fit the hole ?
              2. Take it to a body shop and have them weld in that spot. Some shops would put something inside the door then bondo up the hole. Repaint/blend in the area.
              3. You could install aftermarket trim. Much cheaper than factory trim. The hole would be covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                I bet some of our members can find you a color matched set from a northern area with less UV rays and hopefully better condition plastic. I’ll keep a look out.

From what I see, 1998-2005 will work.

Would you mind verifying your color code from the door data sticker? I think your color code is WT. Here’s where to find it:
                Thanks but I would not wish 7 inch body side molding removal off of a MGM on anyone, Like Wagon Man said I cannot see them selling trim off the doors and fenders.

I also think the plastic they made these moldings out of is junk. normally plastic in Florida will get hard and brittle and perhaps crack.

The moldings on my car literally crumbled like a Ritz cracker.

Comment

Could you explain more about how holes in the door helps the assembly process ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                    1.Could you find a small rubber or plastic plug that would fit the hole ?
                    2. Take it to a body shop and have them weld in that spot. Some shops would put something inside the door then bondo up the hole. Repaint/blend in the area.
                    3. You could install aftermarket trim. Much cheaper than factory trim. The hole would be covered.
                    For now I used some old Palm Beach County vinyl decals that I had to cover the holes.

I have looked around for aftermarket trim and so far what i found I did not like or trust my ability to get it cut good and installed straight.

Once my car is on the road and legal I will take it to a body shop and see what they have to offer.

Thanks
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
                      Thanks but I would not wish 7 inch body side molding removal off of a MGM on anyone, Like Wagon Man said I cannot see them selling trim off the doors and fenders.

I also think the plastic they made these moldings out of is junk. normally plastic in Florida will get hard and brittle and perhaps crack.

The moldings on my car literally crumbled like a Ritz cracker.
                      My local yard doesn’t mind at all. Trim is usually $5-10. It’s nice usually but occasionally frustating, like when car with a 3.55 LSD car comes in and someone tears into the rear end to take the limited slip and gear set. Not that those aren’t useful, but I would have been a buyer for the whole thing and now almost no one wants an empty housing.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                      X