PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big brakes on the Marauder...

Default Big brakes on the Marauder...

I did the big brake upgrade on the Marauder today. It was a Zack (from MM.net) design consisting of GT500 rotors, Vette calipers/pads, custom brackets from lji372 on MM.net, TCE braided lines. I went with Raybestos R300 rotors all the way around. Wasn't wild about the bacon strip shaped slotting, but they're not bad once the wheels are mounted. Also installed Gabriel Ultras on the back since my OE shocks were leaking last year.

Pics.

I did this yesterday:

And put the front of the car up in the air as well:

The rotors had to have the center hole opened up a bit, nothing five minutes with a die grinder couldn't handle. I also had to file off a bit to mount the custom caliper brackets; 30 seconds of work per side is all it took.

Working slow and alone, it took me just under 3 hours from the first spun wrench to last wrench being put away after the road test.

Single best thing I've ever done to the car. Pedal feel is EXCELLENT. As others have said, the stops are dead even and will suck your eyeballs out of your head. If you have a whale, I highly highly HIGHLY recommend this mod...
    '91 LTD Country Squire LX | 2010 P7B | '03 Marauder

formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable)

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Very nice. Would be cool to put this setup on a box.

Nice. There's a guy on stangnet who did something similar to his Fox with Vette calipers on stock 94+ Cobra 13" rotors. The Vette calipers have larger pads that cover more rotor surface area than the stock Cobra calipers he was running. Looks really nice!
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

I wanna do this to my marauder. For me the brake suck they should of upgraded the brake from the factory. I fell like my 88 brake are better.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

What kind of size difference are we talking about between the new and old? More pad surface, bigger calipers, etc? I also presume this would apply to any 03+ car?

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Should work on any 2003+.

formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed, '03 SAP P71, '04 CVLX (now in pantera77's stable)

Quote Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
    Very nice. Would be cool to put this setup on a box.
    Would this even fit on a box? I'm staring down a big brake upgrade AND a leaky steering box replacement on my '91, so if it fits the upper control arms/etc, this is a possibility, depending on how much it adds to the budget over and above the all new parts/front end rebuild w/normal big brake stuff.

If this works and I have the cash, I'll put "Best Stoppin' Box Inna World! Inna Woooorld!" in my sig.
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-08-2018 at 01:28 PM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

If your using an 03+ chassis, sure.

Hobbit

I am putting them on my box. Already have most of the parts just gotta find time to do it.

havent checked out the newer 03s front cross member that close in the back of my shop but arnt they quite a bit different than a box even with the big brake set up lower and upper arms?
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Hobbit

Quote Originally Posted by turbo2256b View Post
    havent checked out the newer 03s front cross member that close in the back of my shop but arnt they quite a bit different than a box even with the big brake set up lower and upper arms?
    Completely different.

so what brakes are you putting on your box.

I did design a radial mount for 2000ish big brake set up to mount 6 piston wilwood front calipers. if i remember correctly it widens the front track width which would screw with my wheel spacing and would have to use 18" wheels all year. already have 4 piston wilwoods on the rear bolted right on.

Hobbit

Same ones that Adam put on his Marauder. My car has newer frame fyi.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Damn it I wish somebody just made a kit with badass brakes for a box. Just don't have the time or patience to cobble all this shit together. Looked on Baer and Wilwood's websites. They make kits for every ridiculous unwanted car out there with the exception of panthers. WTF? Is there some kind of conspiracy going on?

I am going with the big brake swap but using parts from a place the specializes in police brakes. my front calipers have silicone seals. they handle extreme tems. they handle nothing but raybestos and give you fleet pricing. Going to order front brake hoses from them in a bit raybestos for my big brake swap.

Ford Fullsize For Life! marquis_82_withneons's Avatar

speaking on the box side of things, and also think out loud.. doesnt the "run of the mill" big brake upgrade for boxes entail using newer spindles and control arms and such? if so, wouldnt the OP's setup be the same for a box? or am i confusing aero parts with whale parts?... again, thinking out loud.. bear with me
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

all the CFI are belong to me

I suppose the question is surrounding the interoperability of the 03+ spindle with the 79-02 lower control arms and any ball joint (e.g. is there a lower ball joint that fits the lower arm, which can attach to the 03+ spindle), as well as some mixture of upper arm and ball joint allowing the same, as well as the outer tie rod end of the pre-rack & pinion setup being properly fitted and positioned relative to the newer spindle.

It seems to me if the answer was an easy yes to all of the above then it would have been done ages ago.

83 GM 2dr POTM 10/2019 | 84 TC POTM 1/2017 & 4/2019 | 85 CS | 85 Ranger +trlr | 86 GM | 91 GM POTM 12/2017 | Junkyards
    Gone: 97CV | 83 TC

The 03+ setup uses a front strut instead of separate coil over shock like the 79-02. Different control arms, different spindles, different wheel offset, racked peanuts steering instead of gearbox... the list probably goes on.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The 98-02 stuff is completely different than the 03+ stuff. Beyond the body mount locations, pretty much the entire frame is not the same, front and rear suspension are both different.

98-02 stuff is not quite identical to box stuff, but its definitely of the same design and with a little bit of mix n match it can bolt to the old frame. Look under an 03+ and you may as well not even be looking under the same car.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Sorry if my post confused things. I know this site is more box-oriented but I figured there was enough '03+ folks reading to make the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast