Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is my brave car, code 14

Hello,

After a long pain free period my 88 town car stopped working.
    On the way home it dies during driving and hardly restarted to drive on a sideway.
    I connected the code reader and get those error codes 82 o 10 14 c
    82 is some egr stuff which shouldn't be that critical and 14 is a bad pip signal. Fortunately I had a TFI modul in the trunk so I replaced it and the car works again for 3 days. Then I had the same problem, with the same codes.
    My next suspect was the crank sensor, so I ordered a new distributor with TFI modul but nothing changed. Same behavor same error codes. Sometimes it start for few revs. But then the engine stalls.

I also disconnected the battery for reseting the ecm.
    Fuel pump is working and I also have a fuelpressure after it dies! But today I noticed that my fuelpump relais and injectors are clicking during ignition on, doesn't think this is normal!?

Any ideas? Maybe bad Ecm?

Thanks guys,

Gerald
    1988 Lincoln Town Car
    1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

PIP is the position sensor inside the distributor. Replace that and you'll probably sort your issue. Usually this also requires replacing the distributor itself as well as the oil seals in it wear out and the shaft starts grinding. The pip is located under the metal plate the rotor sits on under the cap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

worth checking the harness between the TFI and the ECM. I forget the pins, but its in the EVTM. Make sure you have low resistance and its not shorted to anything. Shake the wiring around with the meter connected to make sure nothing is loose. Could also be a dirty connection at the TFI or ECM. Not impossible for the ECM to be bad, but its not the most common thing. It is a 30 year old piece of electronics though. There are a couple capacitors that go bad. Not hard to fix if you can solder.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

@Sly sorry was confused I meant the position sensor inside the distributer not crank sensor... the exchange with a new distributer doesn't solve my problem.

After a 6 hour troubleshooting session on the parking lot where my car broke down, I was able to drive home. But I can't say whats the issue was.

The new distributor dosen't fix my problem so I rebuild my old one with new Motocraft cam sensor and TFI module, but without a happy end.

As next step I want to check my wires between TFI and ECU.. after unplugging the ECU connector I found a broken pin

So I went to a nearby friend with a solder and fixed the connector (pin21) and also found a bad capacitor which I also replaced.

After reconnecting the ECU the car wont start, so I disconnected some connectors, wiggled some cable, checked for error codes (82 10 11) and suddenly the engine started and run great after a short period.
        I think I have somewhere a bad or broken wire, I've to check forward but I was able to drive home

Supplemental the pin 21 which I fixed in the ECU is "Control signal to idle speed correction" and fixed my two KOER codes 12 13 with i had since i got the car

to be continued...
        1988 Lincoln Town Car
        1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

Comment

Good progress.

It might be a bit late, but some of the information linked in Arquemann's thread might be (might have been) helpful.
          http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post831919
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Wild that the ecu mass connector ripped a pin riht out of your computer! Great detective work going on.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

wow... Never expected the ECU to have a broken pin. That's nuts.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not a problem I've ever run into either. First for everything I guess.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                X