PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Panther. 97 MGM.

Default First Panther. 97 MGM.

I'm starting this thread on here since it's a better place.

Just got my first Panther. I am not fond of the older suspension design but this car was in too good of shape to let slide. The original owner traded it in and now it's in my possession. The interior is immaculate and I love the leather seats. Only the steering wheel has the usual wear of 147k miles. The battery is 7 years old and it needs a right front window regulator. Those are the only things wrong with it.

On to the crappy pics. This was before I washed it. Not bad for $1700

I got a Bluetooth Cassette adapter and cleaner. Works great so far. I also washed the car and cleaned the leather seats and steering wheel with Lexol soap and a horse hair brush before applying Lexol conditioner. I do love the smell of clean leather.

nice car!

Thanks. I'm enjoying it so far. Looking at doing some maintenance soon

Looks great for a first Panther.
    '91 LTD Country Squire LX | '04 CVLX ($200 winter beater) | '03 Marauder

'90 Super Coupe
    formerly: '02 MGM, '04 MGM, '04 MGM v2.0, '04 MM, '07 P71 w/5-speed

That's the only reason I got it. I would have preferred an 03+ but this one is mint with zero oil leaks.

Congrats!

'10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

I just got a K&N air filter for it. I've had no issues with K&N before. They usually foul up the MAF Sensor if you over oil them.

Stick with the paper filters. K&N may allow more air but that also means more debris.
    1997 Grand Marquis LS HPP

- Richard

I'm good. I've used them before on various vehicles and my lawn mower. Plus I don't drive in dusty conditions. Not looking to start a flame war lol.

I've been using K & N since the late 80's.
    No problems here.

'10 Escape LTD. V6 AWD, K&N, Bullitt wheels.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

'91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, 'Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

I just keep some contact cleaner on hand to clean off my MAF with my oiled air filter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

I got an AFE dryforce filter. It's washable but doesn't use the stupid oil. Not sure if it's any better or worse than k&n, but no oil. Fouled the MAF on my '98 a few times and it pissed me off.

Flushed the power steering with Mobil 1 ATF and did an Oil change, again with Mobil 1 and Risoline Nanoprime oil additive. I love that stuff.

Leather, automatic climate control, and digi dash, that’s pretty loaded for a 97. I saw one that looked exactly like that on Facebook marketplace in Kentucky a few weeks ago. My first panther was a 95 Grand Marquis. Having had panthers from 88, 95, 01, and 03 I personally haven’t noticed a big enough difference in the suspension changes that it matters to me. Though I’m still getting used to the rack and pinion setup on the 03+ cars. Not a huge fan, I’ve never minded it in other cars but not a huge fan of how it feels on a panther.
    2003 Lincoln Twon Car Signature Series - Purchased 07/29/19 at 69,500, current daily driver.
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series - Purchased 04/18/15 at 108,653, traded in 5/2/16 at 139,000.
    1995 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Inherited 10/2009 at 105,000 totalled 4/30/10 at 120K, My dumbass fault.
    1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Purchased 6/26/11 at 82,610 totalled 4/16/15 at 137,000, Not my fault.

GMN Regular

Welcome! Does your '97 still have the OEM floor mats?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

The front ones yes. Missing the rear ones.

fomoco panthers !

Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    The front ones yes. Missing the rear ones.
    Rear ones were an option. If you wanted rears, you might find nos ones on Ebay On the back of your front mats is the part number. The whole number wont be the same but the last letters should be the color.

Found an owner's brochure.

Also restored the headlights.

I took it out on a desolate road and tried to re-bed in the brakes as they are awful. The car stopped ok but the nose dive was substantial. So much so that the oil light came on for a second as all of the oil went to the front of the pan. Is there a way to avoid this from happening? I know C5 Corvettes can have one more quart of oil added to the engine, if driving on the track. I would like to autocross this car in the future for fun and laughs. But I don't want any oiling issues under hard braking or cornering.

Funny you mention the oil light thing, since my '97 does the same thing if you really pin the brakes down at speed.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I hate the fact that these engines only take about 5 quarts. If this is an issue with cheap crappy brakes, imagine with good brakes and tires. I'll just overfill the oil a tad and see if that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast