PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 1997 Volvo 850, new old friend

Winter tire season is soon here, and I wanted to clean up the steelies I have studded tires on. I didn't bother even washing them before putting them away last spring, and they sat under a tarp outside all summer. Plus they weren't exactly in good shape from the beginning.
    The steelies are so rusted that they chip all around in 1-2 mil thick pieces, they need to be sandblasted to even consider painting them. I don't care about them that much, even if they are Italian made original Volvo steelies. The rusty steelies look so shit I don't want to put them even on this beater of a Volvo.

So I got these for a whopping 60€
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201018_150630.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	55028
    They are original Volvo alloys from something, pretty shoddily spray painted but supposedly round and good.
    I'll probably throw some more black paint on them and some clear coat so they'll last atleast a single winter without chipping paint.

Also I wanted to add some "contrast" on the completely stock appearance of the red brick.
    So what could I possibly add to the outside of a boxy Volvo?
    -The prancing moose

Name:	20201018_155059.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	55029
    On both sides, of course.

I've got another dumb visual mod ordered, worth about 5€.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

always thought those prancing moose emblems were funny but its even more appropriate on a red brick. The Saab troll stickers are also funny.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    always thought those prancing moose emblems were funny but its even more appropriate on a red brick. The Saab troll stickers are also funny.
    Here the moose stickers are like kind of an unofficial bullshit symbol of Volvo enthusiasts, mostly the younger guys. Others might think it's dumb, and they're probably right a lot of the time. Jävla Volvoraggare

Would you like to drift around on snowy roads in an RWD brick? - I would.

So, from terrible squealing noises while turning, I suspected a bad wheel bearing, which is not the case. Which is good and kinda not good.
    Atleast the rear right brake is sticking, haven't gotten to the left side yet.

Name:	20201028_144248.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	55082
    Yeah, brakes done in 2017 my ass.
    Surprisingly, the rotor is usable and only has very minor grooves in it from riding on the worn-through brake pad.
    Somebody has been driving with the parking brake engaged a bit, the shoes have worn deep into the drum of the brake disc. Took some effort to get the drum/disc off, but the shoes have plenty of life left.

Currently the biggest issues is getting the brake pistons back in the caliper. Tried pipe pliers or whatever those angled pliers are in english, didn't do anything. A screw clamp got the first piston moving, but I got a bit carried away and snapped the damn clamp

Off to get some new pads and probably a clamp or two that aren't for woodworking...

So, naturally things got more complicated as I got to doing it.

The right caliper was pretty seized and I couldn't it to move freely at all. Left side was a little better, but both got replaced.
    New Brembo calipers, pads, hardware, and fluid.
    Also got new brake line fittings, twice.

Of course the brake line fittings wouldn't cooperate and I had to cut off 3 of the 4 that had to be removed, one then removed with a proper socket, two I just left in the old calipers, not my problem.
    This Volvo has brake lines from such a hard metal, I had to remove the short brake lines to use the flaring too jammed tight in a bench vise and a cheater pipe to get any results.
    Spent a couple days cursing in the driveway, weekend well spent.
    Didn't think I'd have to go under the car, but here I am again with rust in my eyes, ears and nose...

Atleast I saved some money doing it myself. And actually saved a bit than the usual DIY case. My new friend wanted to help out, she works at a local auto parts store and gets an 18% staff discount from spare parts.
    With some tip for her effort, I still saved 20€ on the brakes, and got them delivered to me

Even with that, I went to the auto parts store FIVE times this week, little odds and ends every time.

I had the car on jackstands for almost a week so I painted the lugbolts and swapped over to studded tires along the way. My new alloys look fuckin mint on the car, along with new Volvo center caps.
    Gonna get a couple pics of my now- rally spec Volvo tomorrow after a wash, where daylight exists once again.
    Last edited by Arquemann; 11-01-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Once again... so glad I don't live in the rust belt. Even "rusty" stuff around here is mainly surface and still workable.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Once again... so glad I don't live in the rust belt. Even "rusty" stuff around here is mainly surface and still workable.
    To you, my MGM might be "rusty", but here it's pretty much perfect. The Volvo is pretty well-preserved being sold new here 24 years ago
    Everything in the Volvo's wheel arches is pretty much just a few different shades of brown, but it's still in good shape since you can still see where bolt heads are and stuff usually comes apart with heat and violence.

This is one of the brake calipers I removed: (pins are knocked out, wasn't like that all the time)

Name:	20201029_164839.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	55126

This is a brake caliper that went in:

Name:	20201030_182801(1).jpg 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	55127

...I think I can hear the southerner and california car guys screaming internally.

Funny thing is, many of you rust belt folks drive unbelievably rusty cars, we don't see that in Finland, because of annual inspections. If the inspector pokes a screwdriver through your rocker, floor, wheel arch, quarter panel, or anything remotely "structural", it's a failed inspection and you've gotta fix it.
    Volvo's rear arches are pretty bad, and they might be an issue in a year or two, but hopefully not my issue.

It's too cold and windy today to wash the car.
    Last edited by Arquemann; 11-02-2020 at 06:30 AM.

I totally understand that. Not having to deal with undercoating, brine, salt, sand, and all the issues that come with all of that are a major plus in my book. Not having to use heat and violence helps my ability to actually get things fixed. That said, this is nothing close to the real rust jobs I've seen from folks up north, so it's definitely still in good shape. The brake line horror stories are the real fear factor in my opinion.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

LOL, rust is just part of life around here. No inspections in MI so some of the stuff that fails in other states (rusted through rockers) is just a way of life here.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post842229
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    LOL, rust is just part of life around here. No inspections in MI so some of the stuff that fails in other states (rusted through rockers) is just a way of life here.
    Here most people watch out for rust, even when shopping for a beater like the Volvo. Because you gotta fix that shit if you want to keep driving it.
    Where you live, without inspections, one can just buy a rust bucket that runs and drives and condemn it to a slow death of rotting to the point it's no longer safe to drive.

If an old car isn't suffering from rust, it's usually kept alive. Cars in general are expensive in Finland, especially new cars, so folks keep their cars in shape.
    This year the rebate for scrapping a car that's 10+ years old is 1-2 thousand euros, the rebate is only applicable for new cars with CO2 emissions less than 95 grams/km, a FUCKING E-BICYCLE OR PUBLIC TRANSPORT PASS.

Personally I'll keep driving old crap because financing isn't very appetizing as an unemployed student (or at all) and in the future I'd rather spend my money on something older and nice vs some brand new 1.0l shitnugget that you can barely call a car.
    Also there's something about inefficient, antiquated crap that I really like...

Well here's the Volvo in it's new winter boots:

Name:	20201104_114010.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	55153 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201104_114032.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	55154
    Looks pretty fly for the money, I'd say. Rims were 60€ and and demounting and mounting the studded tires was another 60€.

Got the door trims glued on with some trusty Sikaflex, they'll hold for sure now.
    It could really do with 2 or 3 chunky round aux lights on the front, but I drive quite little due to studying from home and the last thing this needs is more money spent on unnecessary things.
    And this brick will be going on for sale as I get the MGM back on the road next spring. What comes in place I don't know yet, something RWD for sure though, or maybe AWD.

If this thing was AWD and maybe even turbo, I'd consider keeping it for longer and de-turd-ifying it to make it nicer and longer lasting.
    The car could do with some more rust repairs, a complete PCV replacement and bits and bobs from end to end.

Also got the summer steelies washed and sanded as well as I could be arsed. I'll be using some hammerite / rust sealer paint that I'll brush on, keep the steelies looking somewhat presentable. A friend called dibs on the new rims and tires, the same chick who got me the new brakes. She's got a '97 V70 AWD Turbo 5-speed, and these would fit right on. (probably because they are actual mk1 V70 rims )

Well, now I finally have amber parking lights! Why? Cuz why not! I'm not even sure if they're legal lol (I'm not the first Volvo around here with amber parking lights)

Name:	20201113_104718.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	115.6 KB 
ID:	55175
    The right side is a bit brighter for some reason, I ordered four bulbs so I think I'll switch them around to figure it out.

Rear window washer pump failed, don't really care, the wiper barely touches the glass anyways, the shaft and spring mechanism is too rusty.
    Colder weather has settled in, and the blower motor has started squeaking again. I can't be bothered to pull it apart to lube it again, the bearings groan a bit and it has already blown the blower motor resistor once. I'll buy a new motor once I get sufficiently annoyed at the squeaking.

A couple dirt road shots right before sundown, why not:

Name:	20201113_160145.jpg 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	55176 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201113_160212.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	55177
    The Volvo feels right at home on a dirt road between fields and I do too.

fomoco panthers !

I remember back in the late 80s, a police officer wrote a guy I knew a ticket for his rear turn signal lens on his Volvo 240. They had faded from amber to almost clear. Both sides had faded. It is a actual violation of the California vehicle code. Heck give the guy a warning, not a pay ticket. Real BS. The owner had to buy complete new tail lights as the ones in the wrecking yards had faded too. The tail lights did not section out either. At that time I lived in the California desert. Everything faded. Way before the internet or the buying sources we have now.

Umm, if you go for the blower motor, don't get the Chinese replacement one. It is a total crap. Did this mistake in my 760, and it broke down last week - less than a year from purchase.
    Instead, search for someone that can remove the bearing and put a new one - or do it yourself. 99% of Volvo bearings are basic INA/SKF/whatever parts, worth 2-3 Euros per piece. I recall having an issue with one of the A/C pulleys for the same 760 (a pair of them is some 140 Euro or so, available in some 2 weeks), and the mech simply pulled out the bearing and placed a new one. Basic... laundry machine bearing, 2 Euros. Reinforced version

Quote Originally Posted by bnw View Post
    Umm, if you go for the blower motor, don't get the Chinese replacement one. It is a total crap. Did this mistake in my 760, and it broke down last week - less than a year from purchase.
    Instead, search for someone that can remove the bearing and put a new one - or do it yourself. 99% of Volvo bearings are basic INA/SKF/whatever parts, worth 2-3 Euros per piece. I recall having an issue with one of the A/C pulleys for the same 760 (a pair of them is some 140 Euro or so, available in some 2 weeks), and the mech simply pulled out the bearing and placed a new one. Basic... laundry machine bearing, 2 Euros. Reinforced version
    The blower motor is a bosch part, and it's mostly riveted together, I don't think I'll be able to change the bearings without doing extensive dismantling. A new bosch motor is 70€ locally, or a bit more for the whole assembly but china crap. I'm not really even worried about the longevity, I'm selling this car when spring comes, so if I get extra stingy I might just lube the bearings again, maybe with something a little more longevity than WD-40...

(If you haven't read the whole thread: this is a cheap beater that was supposed to last one winter, now it's going for a second. The car kinda needs every single bushing replaced and the engine is tired and so the emissions are quite iffy. The inspector guy I knew let me go with only a few mandatory fixes, I'd need to fix alot of shit to get this to pass inspection next year, so I've decided for that to be someone else's problem.)

Got it. Good to know that there is a sensible replacement. The longevity is not a priority, but! the 760's blower was squeaking since the purchase.

I'm quite used to old wagons being used as beaters. Most of the 850s and 940s ended up as construction crew shuttles.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345