PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: New here, but a panther fan

Default New here, but a panther fan

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and getting back to the joys of panther ownership. Years ago I owned a '99 Marquis until my intake manifold replacement apparently caused a fire while driving. I suspect an o-ring on an injector failed when I reinstalled the fuel rail. I was very sad about that, as the car had over 250,000 miles at the time and was doing good.

Last week I won an absentee $400 bid on an '02 Marquis from a local auction house. Car has a big gash down the passenger side, but everything else is good with it including A/C which is a must in Texas. It's at 212,000 miles and runs smoothly. I'm about to tear into the front suspension as it's soft and a bit loose feeling. Planning to start with shocks, then stabilizer links. I'm looking at the Gabriel Ultra Shock 69675, or the Monroe 33127 - car has regular suspension with coils in the rear, are either of those good, or do folks have other recommendations?

I need to get a scanner on it as I've got lights on for Brake, ABS, and ABS (code 1-2) but am confident I can get it worked out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	home2.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	52970

West lake Worth Florida ( Palm Beach County )

Welcome I hope she treats you well.
    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your win.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Thanks fellas, hoping to do the shocks on Sunday and will start tackling other suspension bits soon. ABS, Brake and Air Bag lights are up there too.

When the brake light lights, can that be triggered by one of the 2 bulbs in the 3rd brake light being out? Brake light is solid without foot having touched the brake.

I would imagine the brake light has more to do with fluid level in the master cylinder than lights out....I am no expert in the "newer" panthers though.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Fluid level or parking brake a bit loose/pressed down/contact ring not quite making good contact. There's a small washer that makes contact with two blades coming out of the "switch" when the parking brake is in the full upright position. If that washer is oxidized, it won't make good contact. Scraping the surface a bit will fix that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Fluid level or parking brake a bit loose/pressed down/contact ring not quite making good contact. There's a small washer that makes contact with two blades coming out of the "switch" when the parking brake is in the full upright position. If that washer is oxidized, it won't make good contact. Scraping the surface a bit will fix that.
    OK thanks, fluid level is good and I've cycled the float a couple of times to see if that helps. I'll check the parking brake further - can't see much up there right now. (just realized there's an under dash light there - not working of course.)

My big news, is I was able to change out the shocks with some Gabriel Ultra's. Fronts went fine, left rear went not too badly - right rear was a total PITA. I had to cut a hole through the trunk as there was not enough room with those hard lines to pull the old nut and washer off, let alone maneuver the new bushing and nut and washing without losing them. Hole is ugly and I'll find a good way to seal it back up. Metal is cut on 3 sides and bent back, I might cut it completely way and fabricate some sort of rubber secured flap. Oh, and the ride is night and day different - I removed Motorcraft shocks, don't know if they were the original ones or not.

Thanks for the good information guys, I'll keep knocking things off one at a time!
    Last edited by knormal; 11-04-2019 at 09:51 AM.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Congrats on getting back in a panther and welcome to the forums!

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

Welcome!

Looks like a great score for $400, even with the mentioned issues.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Another quick question, which is better the Haynes or Chilton manual?

Get a factory manual. EBay $26 with shipping or so for both volumes: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Ford-W...6fGD4TWbkPgpyw

Otherwise I prefer a Chilton.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

+1 I prefer Chiltons over Haynes but a factory manual beats them hands down.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.