PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: radio compatibility?

Default radio compatibility?

what year factory radio/cassette will work in my 96 mgm? i.e. will a 2000 explorer unit work, they are easier to find... and cheaper. mine looks like this
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-1995-19...53.m1438.l2649

88 LTC, sandalwood
    96 MGM, white

Hobbit

That's a standard Ford radio that was used in many models and many years. You can even use newer radios as long as they are 1.5 din in the back to clear the vent duct but will have to swap the connectors or get a harness adapter if you don't want to cut the factory connectors.

2000 Explorer will have newer connectors so you will need a conversion harness or cut your old connectors and solder on new ones.
    Last edited by Mr Bean; 02-10-2020 at 09:41 PM.

Thanks Mr Bean. I would prefer a straight swap, no adapters or cutting wires.

The ads i have seen say my radio is 95/96/97, are these the only years that will plug right in then? does it have to be from a Panther, or will a different Ford product work. pickup, explorer, etc. thank you

88 LTC, sandalwood
    96 MGM, white

Hobbit

Any Ford radio will work. Just make sure it uses same connectors as yours and it's narrower in the rear. Ranger, Explorer, etc.

Ok thanks. time to get a set of those pin removal tools and take a look at the connections...

88 LTC, sandalwood
    96 MGM, white

I post a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by BoulevardRide View Post
    Ok thanks. time to get a set of those pin removal tools and take a look at the connections...
    Just make your own out of a wire hanger.

Once they are in bend both slightly outward while pulling out slightly. It just unhook pretty easily.
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I've made them and I have 2 commercially made sets. Use reasonably stiff wire, some coat hangers are a bit on the feeble side. They're cheap enough to buy too. One set came in the car, when I couldn't find them I bought another set for like 3 bucks.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

Yeah, they are cheap but sometimes you just don't feel like running to the store!

Of course if you use Amazon prime there is always this

https://www.amazon.com/SCOSCHE-DT1-R...s%2C154&sr=8-3
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble