PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Good to know on the shocks. The instructions are all just pictograms, so not a lot of nuance there.

I'll give the plugs a look. They were done with the rotor, cap, and wires the summer before last, so if one's bad already I wouldn't be too happy. Although I've already replaced two wires from managing to break the metal connector off inside the boot when I pull them from the plugs. Presumably my technique is wrong and they're not meant to be that delicate. Everything feels like it's seated properly now, but I do worry that one isn't making contact behind one of the boots.

Back in the trans, shift points still happen at the right spot. I still have OD, which kicks in right around 38. The only weirdness with shifting is going into 2nd. Although there was also the slipping in 1st going up out of a parking garage, which I haven't experienced since but only because the circumstances haven't happened again.

Both u joints are brand new. The trans mount could well be shot, though. It's been marinating in some sort of leaked fluid for awhile now. I'd swap it out, but I can't find a replacement part anywhere and any junkyard mount is probably not much better at this point.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I believe the Mustang mount is basically the same, but you have to use a grinder to egg out the holes in the crossmember or something. I'm pretty sure its been posted on here before with pics, I just don't happen to remember the specifics off the top of my head.

they're mostly toast by now, the fluid turns them into a jelly-like material and nothing holds solid. I had the same situation with the rack mount bushings on my Continental and the motor mounts on the Towncar. Original trans mount was completely wasted, but the crossmember was also rusted and by some miracle the crossmember I found laying on the ground in the junkyard had a nearly new mount on it so thats what went in the car and still lives there 15 years later. Oil leaks are bad for more than just messy floor reasons.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yes, I picked up a Mustang mount and held it up to the car - the studs that go through the crossmember are inset maybe half an inch. Pretty strange that Ford would go through the trouble of making two different mounts that are nearly identical to each other. I don't have a die grinder, so I'll have to farm that job out to someone here on post.

What's the best way to do the trans mount?

I was figuring I'd unbolt the mount, jack the trans up, and pull the mount out. But an LMR video showed them supporting the trans and dropping the crossmember. That was on a Fox body, but I assume it's all close enough.

Its easier on a fox body to actually drop the trans crossmember.

Our crossmember is not the same at all. When i did mine I jacked up trans and I think I had to unbolt crossmember too. Depending on exhaust set up it aint easy getting it out. Just need to get it out of the way some and you should be able to wrestle the old out and new in.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

I jacked the trans up a little, unbolted the trans mount from the trans and at the sides (at the frame), tilted the trans mount downwards to free it from the transmission, and then turned it kinda sidewards and maneuvered it up and out of the frame gusset. Then I just reversed the procedure to install. It was quite the operation IIRC.

yup, unbolt it, lift the trans, slide the mount out. Should be able to jack it up enough that it doesn't require much in the way of fiddling, though it might help if you rotate the driveshaft so one of the U joint shafts is horizontal.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Also, if you need to unbolt the trans cross member I've ran into a scenario where it is impossible to get the bolt out because it hits the floor pan before it clears the hole. This is due to shot body mounts. Get a piece of wood to spread the load on the floor pan and jack the body up if you run into this issue. Although perhaps your car isn't high mileage and won't give you this trouble.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Well I got the job done. In and out in about three and a half hours. Got a jack on the trans and was able to get just enough clearance to pull the old mount straight out. Grinding out the crossmember was probably the longest part of the job. I just had cheap Harbor Freight bits, but the Auto Craft Shop has pneumatic tools. I'd never used air tools before - pretty cool. What I had read somewhere on here but forgot about was that the Fox mount is a good deal taller than the old one. So I did have to unbolt the crossmember and shimmy it around until I got the new mount in. But all in all it wasn't that big of a deal.

I'm assuming the old mount was shot...

Unfortunately, replacing the mount has done nothing to fix the shaking I've been feeling. It feels both like it might be suspension related - every little bump in the road feels harder - or driveline related - the jerk on letting off the accelerator. I was really hoping the trans mount was the culprit for everything, but apparently not. At this point I'm starting to run out of ideas.

Well, in the latest on the car's shaking, I'm looking into the lower ball joints. They're both totally covered in greasy sludge. The boots are pretty pliable underneath, but clearly they've been leaking. With so much debris packed in around them, I figure there's a decent chance they're both on their way out.

The lower control arm bushings also appear to be succumbing to age, and I noticed a little seepage from the left upper ball joint.

I had planned on just replacing the lower ball joints since they're the parts that are most clearly worn out. But now I'm thinking I might want to do lower control arm bushings at the same time. After doing a little research on the forum, I think I'd rather just stick with rubber bushings. The poly ones seem to require burning out rubber, but I assume rubber replacements just press in? I also see Moog sells two different sets, one for same size bushings and one for different size. Which cars would have different sized bushings?

Ford says do the entire LCA if the ball joint is bad, basically with the idea that if the ball joint is done so are the bushings. Not sure thats an option now, but you can rebuild them. It sucks, but its definitely not impossible. Dealing with that front spring is not even a little bit fun, but rebuild vs replace doesn't affect that.

I think its the cop cars with the different bushings but you can check yours easy enough. A big adjustable wrench or vise grips or literally anything that has movable jaws that can be set and left in a position will do it. They will either match or be pretty obviously different in size.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789