PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1990 Country Squire bought for 390 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    On the pre 79 back seat. I doubt it will fit. Pre 79s are wider.
    Got it. Nevertheless, the guy has a seat from a sedan, so it does not really help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Regarding the title: The title is different from the shipping and customs documents. Title was given by the insurance company as salvage. At that time the car was whole. What happened after it was sold to the buyer is another story. When a vehicle arrives in a country it is taxed on that country's rules. When "parts" arrive. the tax can be much less. The title from the US may or may not be used to register the vehicle when it is put back together. It is possible that your car arrived as a whole car OR it came as parts. You may never know.
    Received and understood!

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Caprices and box panthers sold new in Finland are often easy to identify, ain't got shit for options: no power locks, crank windows, partial power seats, no AC, no cruise, but it's gotta be a wagon.
    As far as I am concerned, same for Poland, when it comes to eg. Geo Metro, or Dodge Neon. As basic as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    That Caprice you linked, I've never seen such, so much ornamentation. Is that just due to... Catholicism?
    Rather keep up with the Joneses. But it's a part of the Polish version of Catholicism, which is... somewhat special.

Best examples have 3 rows of seats, each a different color.
    Saw it in case of Volvos, but never in case of amcar hearses. Generally people assume they will use them as panel vans, or something like that. If it was a Mercedes, then getting a set of spare seats is not that difficult as in case of amcars.

In the meantime!
    Found some ~30 minutes today to fiddle with the CV. Mechs did a nice job cutting all the screws etc. so I could take some of the hearse upholstery down. Managed to dismantle the coffin lift, and all the floor panels. The effect is as below:

Also, inspected the backseat. Looks like the lower part is original, with new fabric, and that small "backrest" is actually the upper part of the original backrest. The white stuff all over the place is snow.

I really love the SPARE letters on the spare tyre!

Next session - on Sunday. I will try to get rid of the hearse fabric from door panels, and maybe dismantle the separator wall.

Another busy day!

I started with seeking for the original sticker. It was in place, but heavily damaged. Can we still learn anything from it?

The second step was to find the the original options sheet. It was in place, damaged, but not that much as in the Colon:

Those thing were found by the way. Probably gonna keep 'em, they look quite decent.

Another step was to dismantle the door mats and see if they are still ok, under the hearse upholstery. They are somewhat damaged, but salvageable, I guess... BTW: was the car white, and than repainted to burgundy and THEN to black, or this white-ish colour is the protective undercoat paint? The whole car is painted with that, as far as I have found.

Now, it's time to say goodbye to the zombie apocalypse protector screen...

And here we are! There were only two screws that kept it in place. The car looks far more clean now than it was when acquired.

As most of the unused hearse stuff was already driven to the garage today, I decided to hide the spare parts in the underground compartment. There is still plenty of space inside.

And two final photos from today. This is what I have at the moment. Hearse upholstery remains on pillars, tailgate cover, left cargo compartment doors, and left rear door mat. I am going to get rid of them during the next visit.

Found an info how much coolant gas should be ingested. 1.5kg is quite a large amount, I think?

A close-up of one of the scrapped tyres I got the car with. Probably around 20 years old!

The plan for the nearest future is to get a working battery for the car, and find a replacement for the backseat. I friend of mine is running a small yard, and we are going to try a few beige seats from EU cars tomorrow. This is quite important as I need to have the rear seat complete with belts if I want to have the car registered for 5 passengers, not just 2.

Hmm. We really need to find you a seat back. I would think you can make one of of a sedan with a fair amount of custom work but having the real thing would certainly make life easier.

Can't tell too much from your door sticker. I see that it was originally ordered for the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania district. 3.08 open rear axle ratio. The exterior color is on the part that's disappeared.

As far as original color, the buildsheet has it if you can read it. Look at the top right above the box that says "seats". There is an H there and something else. EH or 2H would be the medium Cabernet (dark red/maroon). AH would be the pastel alabaster (light tan).
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12