PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: My 1983 Continental Mark VI!

If you find one, let me know. I'll buy the second one if it exists and vacuum seal it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

The slow leak is built into the ATC sensor. When you switch to hot the needle valve closes off the vacuum supply and the remaining vacuum going to and in the temp servo leaks out through the hole in the sensor.

What a Luxury car should be. mercurygm88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrova View Post
    The slow leak is built into the ATC sensor. When you switch to hot the needle valve closes off the vacuum supply and the remaining vacuum going to and in the temp servo leaks out through the hole in the sensor.
    I kind of figured it was something like that.

I replaced the pre heater hose from the exhaust manifold to the intake today for all the good it may do.

I somehow doubt the vacuum actuated flapper in the air cleaner housing even works after all these years.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Funny you mention this. I had revived the EGR system in my old Malibu when I replaced the cat and the rest of the exhaust back. Whatever little flapper valve was in the exhaust manifold made a loud tapping noise then the exhaust tone got deeper and a little louder. I guess the free flowing exhaust opened that valve up. That lasted a year and the exhaust manifold cracked at the collector flange.

Interesting. Iím not 100% sure how the system works on EEC-III CFI. I know the manifold end is a little loose on my Mark VI, I didnít really get in there far enough to see how itís connected, but there is definitely some air flow through the tube.

Then thereís the vacuum actuated flap in the air cleaner housing. I didnít trace the vacuum line to see where it goes. All of the hoses and lines on the car look like theyíve been replaced in the last few years and I donít have any known leaks.

It seems to me that the flap springs open under no vacuum, therefore at cold engine temps vacuum would pull the flap shut. Then it would open when the engine warms up. I have no clue what actually controls vacuum to the flaps actuator.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

should be a temperature controlled vacuum valve in the air cleaner assembly to do that. Usually its the thing the vacuum line plugs in to.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    should be a temperature controlled vacuum valve in the air cleaner assembly to do that. Usually its the thing the vacuum line plugs in to.
    It appears that the little flap in the air cleaner assembly is staying open all the time. Probably not worth the time and expense to try to fix. I believe it's riveted on there.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-12-2021 at 07:36 AM.

I post a lot...

open pulls air that is heated by the manifold or cold from engine bay?
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    open pulls air that is heated by the manifold or cold from engine bay?
    When the flap is open it pulls air through the intake tube running to the front of the car, I believe it still also pulls some heated air from the manifold, it doesn't appear that the flap seals that passage off. When the engine is cold the flap should close and draw mainly from the tube going to the manifold. I'm sure it's not an air tight seal.

At least that's how it seems that it should work to me.

I post a lot...

ok so open is fine except when engine is cold in cold weather.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    ok so open is fine except when engine is cold in cold weather.
    Yes. I donít think thereís much chance of getting it to close though, not really intending to drive it in any cold weather anyway. Itís going into hibernation as soon as salt season hits.

I washed the Mark Vi last night and snapped a few pictures today.

The poverty cluster

No auto lamp either

"..The poverty cluster.." LoL. It is the first thing I look for when coming across a box Lincoln. WHen I was a kid, they were everywhere, thought they were standard.. Now? I hardly see them.

Car needs some lacy spokes and it would look pretty swank.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    "..The poverty cluster.." LoL. It is the first thing I look for when coming across a box Lincoln. WHen I was a kid, they were everywhere, thought they were standard.. Now? I hardly see them.

Car needs some lacy spokes and it would look pretty swank.
    I call it the poverty cluster because the digi dash was standard on the Mark VI and whoever ordered this car deleted it for a credit. I believe it was an option on all Town Cars except it may have been standard on Cartiers. It's a weirdly optioned base model, it has the stainless lower trim from a Signature Series, and leather which was a no cost option. Power passenger seat, which I've surprisingly seen one without. I've only seen one or two others online without autolamp I do wish the 82 and 83 cars would have kept the extra wood grain trim that was below the armrests on 80 and 81 cars but that's a minor thing. I forgot to take a pic of it but the glovebox on this one is just barely starting to sag, no cracking at all on the drivers armrest. The dash pad is perfect minus some cracking in the speaker grills.

Lacy spokes or turbines would be nice but I don't really have a huge problem with the hub caps. At least they aren't plastic.

Wheel covers. Your car has wheel covers

Yah, probably some old guy bought it custom and was all like "I ain't dealin' with no fancy digi dash." I've seen quite a few box townies with no power passenger seat and the base interior as well as the full poverty roof. Surprised full valino wasn't an option, but I rather like the 1/2.

Wheel covers. Your car has wheel covers

Yah, probably some old guy bought it custom and was all like "I ain't dealin' with no fancy digi dash." I've seen quite a few box townies with no power passenger seat and the base interior as well as the full poverty roof. Surprised full valino wasn't an option, but I rather like the 1/2.
    Yes those are wheel covers.

Did they ever make a slick top Town Car? From what I can find all Mark VI's got some kind of vinyl top. Or by poverty roof do you mean the full vinyl top? I kind of like those personally but I'm not sure if it was available on the Mark VI. I know one for at least one model year the Bill Blass Mark VI was available without the opera windows, which I personally feel ruins the whole look. I kind of figured the same thing, someone who was afraid of anything new and fancy ordered it. Then again the Marti report says it was one of 270 cars identically optioned, but I suppose there were only so many ways to option a car and quite a few had to be identical.
    Last edited by mercurygm88; 09-14-2021 at 01:25 PM.

Nope, and they have some weird lines under there too. Saw one at a yard once without the roof and it looked like it was scalped. Yea, meant the full vinyl top, the one where the coach lamps look weird and with the weird rear window. I like them for the weird rear window. I like the opera windows. Not as cool as with the Mark V's or the two door VI's but gives it a different look.

Hmm, my car is supposedly 1/43. And I think the way Kevin does his reports, that only accounts for Interior/Exterior color combinations and trim level. Even if it does encompass everything, 270 cars isn't a whole lot.

Nope, and they have some weird lines under there too. Saw one at a yard once without the roof and it looked like it was scalped. Yea, meant the full vinyl top, the one where the coach lamps look weird and with the weird rear window. I like them for the weird rear window. I like the opera windows. Not as cool as with the Mark V's or the two door VI's but gives it a different look.

Hmm, my car is supposedly 1/43. And I think the way Kevin does his reports, that only accounts for Interior/Exterior color combinations and trim level. Even if it does encompass everything, 270 cars isn't a whole lot.
    Iím not 100% sure how the reports break down. I thought it was identical cars, my dads Mustang came back as 1/6, and Iíve seen quite a few 1/1 reports on older cars. 270 isnít a whole lot, but then again there were only about 18,000 Mark VI sedans made in 83 and only about 130,000 overall.

My LSE isnít terribly common either. 2001-05. 04ís were Canada only and 05ís didnít have the center console. Iíd have to look the website up again and add them up but out of nearly 400,000 Grand Marquisí built from 01-04 just over 10k had the center console. Of course mine came from the year with the highest production.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

There is an option you can pick to try and drill it down to 1/1 or as close to it as possible. I forget what its called but if you poke around the site you'll see it. The standard report just gives you some stats. I have seen the 1/1 type reports and it gets into things like what radio was ordered. Stuff where out of 45 cars that had this paint and that engine and whatever, only THIS one had the AM/8 track option.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast