PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hey guys bad news transmission issues

Chicago. I Pass constricting lanes, automated speeding tickets (for as little as 6 over) red light cameras purposely calibrated at differnt yellow light intervals to catch you, and a 55 mph speed limit on the freeways. Now add the drivers and the traffic to the mix for a maelstrom of fuckupness.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

being run over at 55 is why I accept the significant reduction in fuel economy to go 70, and honestly thats still too slow in some places. The Mark VII is a much more happy car on the highway, better aero and 3.27 gears means its still fine at 80, though the fuel econ hovers around 19 up there.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yeah mine averaged 20-22 highway at 65-70, I was planning to park this old girl for the winter soon anyways and fix it up next spring but if the tranny is on borrowed time is it really worth it logically? How much mileage will the car suffer without od? I never intended to get great gas in this boat but if it dips down to 15 or something crazy.

fomoco panthers !

Start saving for a rebuilt transmission when the car is put away for the winter. Gas prices continue to go up and will for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Start saving for a rebuilt transmission when the car is put away for the winter. Gas prices continue to go up and will for quite a while.
    Is it logical though at this point? The car has 30+ years of MN rust here, it's not rusted like swiss cheese yet but there are rust holes in the body, the engine will need a rebuild as well in the future. We are talking $2500+ I assume. For $2500 I could find another in the future that's in way better shape mechanically and cosmetically. I am gonna park it for the winter for now but I don't think I will hold onto it at this point aside from driving it till the tranny goes but then going back to my question how bad will the gas mileage suffer without O/D.

Quote Originally Posted by TwiztidRat View Post
    Is it logical though at this point? The car has 30+ years of MN rust here, it's not rusted like swiss cheese yet but there are rust holes in the body, the engine will need a rebuild as well in the future. We are talking $2500+ I assume. For $2500 I could find another in the future that's in way better shape mechanically and cosmetically. I am gonna park it for the winter for now but I don't think I will hold onto it at this point aside from driving it till the tranny goes but then going back to my question how bad will the gas mileage suffer without O/D.
    If you were closer to NJ Iíd sell you my old AOD with shift kit for $250, worked great. There are used working Trans out there, just have to find one. Could ask on the forum here and see if one pops up near you, or take a chance with someone you donít know selling one
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

fomoco panthers !

I believe you will lose an average of 30% of your gas mileage without OD, cruising at 65 mph.

Yeah so I would hover around 16 highway, meaning I would have to stay off highways till I got this dealt with. I know these are hard to find around my area but with everything already wrong with it I have to know when it's time to say good bye or invest in it. At this point it's up in the air, thanks though guys we'll just see what happens.

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Boxes are the best riding cars under 60mph.
    Mine rides pretty good at double that, though gentle curves at 60 become white-knuckle events at 100+. 🤣

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12