PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb sway bar question

Default Dumb sway bar question

Would a 87 town car REAR sway bar fit a 87 Vic? There is one in the yard and I may go look and see if it has a rear sway bar.
    1987 CV LX 5.0

Yes, bolts right on. Be advised, the skinny bar that comes on civilian cars is pretty much useless. Try to find one off a police package Crown Vic. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Will do, thanks Pete.
    1987 CV LX 5.0

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

skinny one is still better than nothing. Cop cars are pretty damn hard to find

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I actually tired to get addco to make our bars exactly as factory. They have a custom engineering group. Their presses don't have the tonnage to forge the flat tang as long as ours. For example, their g-body bar has only two small bosses forged flat 6" apart.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    skinny one is still better than nothing. Cop cars are pretty damn hard to find
    ive been noticing that. lol
    1987 CV LX 5.0

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

Doesnít the 92-97 use the same rear suspension setup?

There rear bars are mounted differently...not to the lower arms. They tie up into end links that tie up into the frame....the older frames dont have the proper mount/reinforcement to utilize them.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    The older frames dont have the proper mount/reinforcement to utilize them.
    Is there any comparison pic or some sort of writeup on the difference. How big of an ordeal it would be to do the newer end link mounting to an older frame?
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Ooh it even is the Addco 650 I've pondered about. So the sway bar bushings are installed to something already on the axle, or with generic U-bolts, can't quite see?
    If the ends on the addco bar would've been flat instead of vertical, it would probably be easier to find end links of a suitable length and convenient offset to just make a hole in the frame and bolt on. But I guess the welded reinforcements work with factory style vertical end links.

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

Ah okay, Iím a Ď92-Ď97 noOb. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBoudah View Post
    I actually tired to get addco to make our bars exactly as factory. They have a custom engineering group. Their presses don't have the tonnage to forge the flat tang as long as ours. For example, their g-body bar has only two small bosses forged flat 6" apart.

wonder if that wouldn't work though. Doesn't really need to have that whole tang flat, just needs to be flat where it sits against the bar and a flat spot where the bolt head is. Wonder if they could make the end basically D shaped with two flats for the mount bolts.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I'm a tool & die guy so I know they don't want to make the investment. The bolt holes are 3.5" apart on our arms. The engineer and I had several back and forth emails. Their tooling isnt modular, so they can't adjust that spread. This is basically why they made brackets to support the #650 bar and called it #324. Here is the PDF they sent me a while back.
    324.pdf
    Last edited by JeffBoudah; 11-02-2021 at 08:46 PM. Reason: pdf

hm, in that case maybe take that same basic design, but attached to angle iron instead of flat for the adapter. If thats the 92-97 bar its probably about the right dimensions already.

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

That angle iron idea isnít a bad one. Iíd probably use bolts that run all the way through the control arm with crush sleeves to help prevent the torque of the dork from twisting and fatiguing one side of the control arm.

Thats the same mounting arrangement the factory bars use, and for that exact reason.

How to attach the rear bar inner mounts if the car didn't come with a factory bar? I don't think mine has any extra sway bar brackets on the rear axle.
    Some generic u-bolt style solution or weld-on brackets from somewhere? The factory inner mounts are on the bottom side of axle tubes right?

If a 1997 or older car, if using a rear sway bar secured to the LCA as depicted in the pdf 324 mentioned, one would not want or need axle brackets and bushings like 1998 and newer cars. Those plates to adapt will work if thick enough. GM cars with the strictly LCA mounting came with spacers in the control arms to eliminate collapse with the bolts. If desired to use later style axle mounting, then the end links that are not depicted would need to be used too. If the bar were to be anchored to the axle housing and LCAs, the LCAs would be wrecked when the first suspension movement was made, the bar would move with the axle. I've had a couple GM cars with rear sway bars mounted via just 4 points on lower control arms, it works. One could fab axle mounts using ES bushings and straps and large U-bolts with saddles on the axle. That #650 bar is a full inch diameter.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Quote Originally Posted by tbear853 View Post
    with rear sway bars mounted via just 4 points on lower control arms, it works.
    Huh, makes sense. Was kinda wondering whats the point of the non-pivoting end links.
    Well damn, retrofitting a rear bar won't require fabrication really, using the factory style lca mounting. And I'd rather do it with angle iron and crush sleeves like mentioned.

Cool, I can use a drill and a saw, but not really a welder so I'm even more inclined to get a rear bar now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast