What is its purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is its purpose?

So help out an "old" gent........on my '86 MGM Tudor with remote release Fuel Filler Door (although this applies to all box cars from 1983-1991)
    There are two metal parts attached to the inside of the actual door, one the bent hook arm,(Ford call out number 28608) and two a separate flat piece of metal(Ford call out number 405A24) with a black rubber end. My question:......what is the purpose of the flat piece of metal?...and where does it actually go?

Should be two small screws holding those two pieces of metal to the fuel door hinge

One is the catch for the little popper nub and the other is the spring to keep it held tight against the catch.

Crappy picture of a mustang one for reference:

You push the bent piece past the popper nub and then it is tensioned against the springy piece of metal with the plastic/rubber end.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks Dave I was concerned because I pushed the door tight into the q-panel flush..............BUT!!!!!!! when I pressed the release button in my glove compartment the door did not release, had to pry the door open........thankfully it was the door already F-ed up.......I do have a new door assy ready to go in thanks to Wagon man!

Btw the p/n for the door is E3AZ-54405A26A same part from 1983-1991.
      Last edited by Toploader; 12-17-2021, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Follow up...........I removed the two metal pieces, why?......because if after pressing the release button the door does not open up I will be forced to pry it open, and we all know what that means.

Comment

Interesting I didn’t realize a remote release fuel door was available on the boxes. The Mark VI doesn’t have one and neither did the ‘88 MGM. The ‘95 MGM had it and so does the ‘02. Both Town Cars had it as well. But I have also seen ‘05 ish and newer cars without it.

It’s kind of like how they went back and forth on the external antenna. Also my ‘95 MGM and ‘01 and ‘03 Town Cars had a locking trunk button. The ‘02 does not yet it has a valet key. I have a co worker with an ‘03 GS that’s so base model it doesn’t have the keyless entry keypad or a fob. Strange stuff.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Yes the remote door was used from 1983-1991. Notice that you have two cars that the FoMoCo parts book claims did not have the release......typical for Ford one never knows what is gospel or is not;-(

Comment

Even between the Marauder model years, some had remote fuel door and some did not.
              My 93 had remote fuel door, i removed the switch from the door panel before i junked the car.

Comment

My 93 LX has the fuel door popper. The 2000 CV base model does not.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

In 03 ford removed the popper in cv/Gm/mm vehicles as part of its decontenting efforts. So we had the fully contented A models and the deconted B models in 03. They also removed the automatic parking brake release, front seat map pockets and they merged the clock into the radio instead of having a separate unit in the dash On the plus side you could get heated seats as an option.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                    Follow up...........I removed the two metal pieces, why?......because if after pressing the release button the door does not open up I will be forced to pry it open, and we all know what that means.
                    In my opinion, a locking gas fuel door is really bad to have in severe winter conditions. My Subarus and the Mercury have them. I have had them freeze shut. I have to use windshield de-icer spray to get it open.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                      In my opinion, a locking gas fuel door is really bad to have in severe winter conditions. My Subarus and the Mercury have them. I have had them freeze shut. I have to use windshield de-icer spray to get it open.
                      My 93 had a pull cord that i could access from the trunk that would open the fuel door.

Comment

Working...
                      X