PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boxes

Default Boxes

Didn't know which sub to post this under, but are boxes considered classic cars nowadays?

Is this a personal question or one for a State DMV? Most states consider 30-35 years for classic car determination.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    Is this a personal question or one for a State DMV? Most states consider 30-35 years for classic car determination.
    Kinda both I guess

Although my 85 is beat up, I'm hoping to take it to car shows/ cruise nights

My 91 is a work in progress

In Connecticut cars have to be 25 years or older to get classic car plates. Haggerty insurance considers our cars to be classic/collectible
    cars. WagonMan
    89 Colony Park
    90 Colony Park
    70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

I post a lot...

depends who you are talking to.
    Some organizations "decide" what is a classic car. They are cars we as mortal humans will probably never be able to touch or even breath on. They also define "minor Classics" which are still very special cars.

Most folks who run car shows say 25 yrs old and you are in. Historical plates do vary by state. NYS it is 25yrs but IIRC last time I looked they were very restrictive.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

I'd say yes they are classic at this point. Heck the oldest ones hit the road in Fall 1978 I assume... so they are approaching 44 years old.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

25+ years in New Jersey for historic plates.

Its a classic or its modern junk depending who you ask. The grumpy old bastards that have the usual suspect cars that sit in folding chairs looking miserable at car shows will call it modern junk. People under 40 will probably consider it a classic because its what their parents or grandparents had. All a matter of perspective.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

By the 25 year rule, even Aeros are classics now. I think that for a car to fall into that category it has to be around long enough for all the beater examples to fade away until it's a rare sight on the road. It also helps that new car design advances far enough that a classic looks out of place by comparison. In my mind, most '90s cars still have some resemblance to newer vehicles. Plus, you'll still see a few beat up Camrys and Civics out and about. Boxes, by contrast, are pretty rare these days, and their styling is so foreign that a lot of people mistake them for something from the '70s.

My 93 is a "classic" and I could get the associated plates, but it's also my daily and they frown on that kind of use with classic/antique plates. 25 years or more in Texas.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    My 93 is a "classic" and I could get the associated plates, but it's also my daily and they frown on that kind of use with classic/antique plates. 25 years or more in Texas.
    I was just looking into this as we're about to move to San Antonio. I thought the antique plates were more like every other state's classic plates with restrictions on where and how often you can drive. Whereas Texas classic plates were just another custom plate, or you had the option of using an old plate from the same year as your car, but the vehicle still paid the same registration and inspection fees as ever other vehicle.

fomoco panthers !

in Maine 25 years is the point where the vehicle qualifies as a classic/antique. I just put antique plates on the 96 CVPI. To register as such, the antique cannot be the primary use vehicle.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

honestly I have mine on historic plates for money reasons. $42 one-time fee and every two years its a $0 renewal. Standard plates on the Towncar are $78 per year, the other two are $42 each per year.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Same here in MA. I have several vehicles that qualify but the mileage is supposed to stay very low. I guess i could do it for a year until they take it away hahaha

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

25 years in Michigan. My '98 will be considered a classic next year. Will be the first time every vehicle I own will be a classic. Although not the first time every vehicle I have on the road is a classic.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

My insurance company will consider your car an antique at 25yo for insurance purposes, which drops the insurance rates radically on that vehicle. But it can't be your primary vehicle, and you must park it in a locked garage when not in use. No real restrictions (at least none that affect me), if I want to take a road trip to visit my cousin in the US with it, no problem. There is a yearly mileage limit, but its high enough I'd never see it. Something to check into if you have more than one car and have restrctive classic/antique plate requirements.

If you want antique tags here, you get lower registration fees (well they did do away with registration fees last year, not holding my breath that will last), but you are restricted out the wazoo if you want antique plates. Not worth it if you like to drive whatever car you want to work, grocery store, etc on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lutrova View Post
    I was just looking into this as we're about to move to San Antonio. I thought the antique plates were more like every other state's classic plates with restrictions on where and how often you can drive. Whereas Texas classic plates were just another custom plate, or you had the option of using an old plate from the same year as your car, but the vehicle still paid the same registration and inspection fees as ever other vehicle.
    Still have mileage restrictions with classic plates. Antique is super restrictive. To shop or show only.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Georgia allows anything 25 and older to receive "Antique/Hobby" tags, but it cost $40 annually to renew instead of $20. I think on top of that you've got to pay the manufacturing fee, plus specialty tag fee, and renewal when you get it, so I think it's closer to $75 the first year. No restrictions or anything though, you just drive how you please.

A few years back they also upped the year of manufacture date for using old license plates to cars made up to 1989. That doesn't cost anything extra per year, you've just got to get a signed form from the DMV indicating that's the tag to be displayed and you keep the form and current issue plate inside the car somewhere. I did that on the wagon, and even my registration card shows the "authentic" plate along side the current issue one. I think the YOM plate is more interesting anyway than just the "Antique/Hobby" plate. Again with that program, there's also no restrictions for mileage or anything.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (230K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Twenty-five years here in Michigan. Although I fall under the group gadget mentioned, despite owning one myself and liking the cars. I have a tough time reminding myself that "twenty years" ago no longer takes me back to the mid '90's.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I post a lot...

NY seems to add an odd quirk to the use of original age specific plates. If you register the car with them after that the state owns the plates. So if you sell the car the plates must be returned to the state. If you say they are lost I believe that means they cannot be reused. However just because they are nice guys some DMV's will allow you to store these plates with them for later re-use subject to individual office guidelines.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    08 Escape Limited V6 Auto, Beamtech LED headlight bulbs,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast